Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 146257 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #1000 on: May 31, 2018, 10:33:19 am »
Except to drop off or pick up passengers, I think.
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

« Reply #1001 on: May 31, 2018, 10:37:27 am »
Red routes exclude drop off, except in marked zones

« Reply #1002 on: May 31, 2018, 05:20:25 pm »
But if the driver's still in it and the engine's going it's not parked but merely halted. Dunno about UK, but in Germany at least you're allowed a 3-minute halt anywhere.

and in France, being merely halted like that but not properly parked on a legal parking spot means using your phone is still a serious offence  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1003 on: June 01, 2018, 04:42:09 pm »
I am not a motorist.
My understanding is there are two static car entities: ' 'Waiting' ie parking and 'loading'.

Loading may be allowed when parking is not. Parking restrictions are indicated by kerbside yellow lines and loading restrictions by yellow marks on the kerb edge.

An empty, closed car is waiting, an occupied or open car might be loading.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #1004 on: June 02, 2018, 08:36:10 am »
^^^ and delivering. The excuse of the gent who swerved from the other side of the road to stop some way in front of me with half his van on the pavement yesterday. He had his "Livraison" sign taped to the windscreen as evidence.  I had to stop and wait for a gap in the traffic so that I could get round him.

---o0o---

Highway code rule 238: Double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time.

Had forgotten that - last time I drove in the UK was in 1985. We don't have them here.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1005 on: June 02, 2018, 10:35:51 am »
Our very own redfalo is Tweeting some prime fuddishness in Frankfurt.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #1006 on: June 05, 2018, 12:37:25 pm »
That's really nothing compared to Surrey in merry old England (I'll admit Parisian parking is often something to behold).

I came back to a notice stuck outside from the council about a parking review which finally proposes a double-yellow on the t-junction of the lanes outside our house (quite obviously the most stupid place to park*, though a small number of drivers seem not to notice the evidence of their own stupidity). Not that the council enforces double-yellows but it saves me and the neighbours putting out our own 'no parking' signs for drivers to ignore...

*seriously, it's a narrow t-junction at the top of a 25% hill, parking there means zero visibility for any vehicles trying to come around the corner, forces any pedestrians into the same situation, and prevents any large vehicles getting around the corner, even without people parking there, I have sizeable collection of wing mirrors.
!nataS pihsroW

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #1007 on: June 15, 2018, 10:01:41 am »
In Liege at the weekend, we spied a car parked sort of underneath the folded arm of a parked cherry picker.  Which was there first I don't know. However, later that evening, I imagine through the power of slowly leaking hydraulics, this happened:
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1008 on: June 21, 2018, 12:05:04 pm »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #1009 on: June 26, 2018, 03:48:25 pm »
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #1010 on: June 27, 2018, 12:37:22 am »

Prime fuddery in Kirkwall by Mr Larrington, on Flickr
Sometimes this is the result of fuddery that started earlier, and left the subsequent parkers no choice.
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

« Reply #1011 on: June 27, 2018, 08:59:56 pm »

I think this deserves a new thread: "People who design cycle paths like fuds".

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1012 on: June 27, 2018, 09:45:57 pm »

There's a website for that.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Graeme

• Priest, Preacher and Prophet
  • @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #1013 on: June 28, 2018, 08:25:42 am »
Aren't some of these really: "People who park inconveniently"? The vehicle(s) can be negotiated.

Try it in a wheelchair which is 2 feet wide and has 8 inch front castor wheels, please!

Thinking about castors gave me an idea... A small jack and four small steel plates with castors, each plate the size of a car tyre's footprint, would make a very simple kit for moving a car from in front of a dropped curb... Once the car is rolling it could be pushed anywhere. Does that make it my problem to find a new legal parking space. :)
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1014 on: June 28, 2018, 11:30:42 am »

There's a website for that.

Brilliant!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1015 on: June 28, 2018, 11:39:56 am »

For a brief moment I thought that was a CDC in the wrong thread.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #1016 on: June 28, 2018, 01:43:26 pm »
From another forum so I don't know if the link will work without being logged in..

What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #1017 on: June 28, 2018, 01:57:10 pm »

Thinking about castors gave me an idea... A small jack and four small steel plates with castors, each plate the size of a car tyre's footprint, would make a very simple kit for moving a car from in front of a dropped curb... Once the car is rolling it could be pushed anywhere. Does that make it my problem to find a new legal parking space. :)
No need to make your own Graeme. Just buy them here for £54 a pair.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/awd1-automotive-wheel-dolly-pair/

Or for maximum ease of use buy them with the jacks built in.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/sealey-ws680-wheel-skate-hydraulic-680kg-capac/

Oh what fun we could have!

Graeme

• Priest, Preacher and Prophet
  • @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #1018 on: June 28, 2018, 02:18:57 pm »

No need to make your own Graeme. Just buy them here for £54 a pair.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/awd1-automotive-wheel-dolly-pair/

Or for maximum ease of use buy them with the jacks built in.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/sealey-ws680-wheel-skate-hydraulic-680kg-capac/

Oh what fun we could have!

£54 for a pair... Machine Mart could be marketing them on every 'bad parking' Facebook page. #MischiefManaged
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #1019 on: July 08, 2018, 05:59:06 pm »

I'm not sure if this has been parked in the ditch, reversed into it, or crashed in a remarkably neat manner. It seems to have reversed in, so probably not the last, but who knows? I'd say "stolen abandoned" except it's right outside a farm house.
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

fuzzy (retd.) AAGE

• SWMBO's Toy Boy.
  • Apprentice Leathery Old Git
    • The Secret Cyclist blog
« Reply #1020 on: July 10, 2018, 11:51:56 am »
Could well have been someone parking and finding the verge a lot softer than they expected ;D
Quote from: tatanab
The mark of a true cyclist - prepared to try anything on offer

If it ain't bad for you it ain't worth doing

Tim Hall

« Reply #1021 on: August 07, 2018, 09:59:10 pm »
 This is a mixture of crap cycle facilities and people who park like fuds.
The lane is all over 2m long (although it leads to a shared use footway) but is often used as a teeny parking bay.
linky

« Reply #1022 on: August 07, 2018, 10:40:50 pm »
Special.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1023 on: August 07, 2018, 11:49:36 pm »
We've got one of those, but bigger.  It functions as over-spill wankpanzer parking for when good weather causes half of Birmingham to drive to the park and/or cricket is being perpetrated at Edgbaston.

Oddly, google maps only seems to have photos of it not in car park mode: https://goo.gl/maps/PSa6WLGyHjs

The bollocksinfra quotient is enhanced by several strategically positioned potholes at the point where you have to execute a confusing (to motorists) right turn to join the path.  The usual method of ignoring crap cycle infrastructure entirely is contraindicated by it leading to a useful (for stopping the endless flow of cars) toucan crossing.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Tim Hall

« Reply #1024 on: August 08, 2018, 12:17:45 am »
Ooh! Prompted by Kim linking to Google maps, I find my one is in car park mode again on Streetview. linky