Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 127925 times)

Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #1100 on: April 26, 2019, 09:33:18 pm »
In the Dales last weekend someone had left a car on a very narrow road just before a blind bend. Someone had stuck a note on the front and back windows that said "knob-head, dangerous parking!".
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
« Reply #1101 on: April 27, 2019, 09:06:06 am »
Who cares? It's only a cycle path:

They've been there over Easter.
We get that a lot in Abbey Park in Leicester. Every ****** there's a fair. Thankfully I no longer commute that way, or I'd go all gammon over it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #1102 on: May 07, 2019, 01:30:16 pm »
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #1103 on: May 07, 2019, 02:07:21 pm »
There's a bus shelter on my route home that some drivers had opted to treat as a parking space (presumably from the houses opposite. I wish I were joking, but no, they use the space directly in front of the shelter thus preventing access and making boarding the bus impossible for anyone of limited manoeuvrability, or bags, or a pushchair. Anyway, I see the space in front has sprouted bollards, so huzzah for that. It just saddens me that people are so thoughtless.

On a plus point, the magic yellow paint on the corner by my house seems to have worked, not seen a single car blocking the junction since it was applied at the end of last year. So where commonsense fails, paint triumphs (to be honest, I think the latter reminds people of the former, it's not like the yellow paint isn't roundly ignored elsewhere).
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #1104 on: May 07, 2019, 08:07:32 pm »
Who cares? It's only a cycle path:

They've been there over Easter.
And you thought aggressive dogs on cyclepaths were bad.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #1105 on: May 13, 2019, 03:29:07 pm »
Have we had this yet?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/family-fined-4000-parking-outside-15592056

So you call for double yellow lines and then ignore them...… and then ignore the fines... and then ignore the collection agency..... :facepalm:
Cats to the left of me, cats to the right of me, cats sitting on my keyboard making far more sense than I do.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1106 on: May 13, 2019, 04:28:35 pm »
Dad Scott Taylor was among residents in Salford who called for lines to be painted after his four-year-old daughter was knocked down by a car and injured.

He hoped it would help to reduce the number of cars parking on the street, making it safer for pedestrians to cross the road, reports the Manchester Evening News.
Your own car is always safe though.
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1107 on: May 15, 2019, 12:57:49 pm »
Have we had this yet?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/family-fined-4000-parking-outside-15592056

So you call for double yellow lines and then ignore them...… and then ignore the fines... and then ignore the collection agency..... :facepalm:

I call "bollocks" on his claim about the terms of his insewerants too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1108 on: May 15, 2019, 01:03:59 pm »
I think it's more a case of him failing to understand how insurance conditions work.  You can get insurance which limits where you park.  You can get insurance for different postcodes which will cost a different amount.  Your insurance cost will also vary with occupation.  But it's still up to you to arrange appropriate insurance for your circumstances.  If your circumstances change, sometimes you will need to suck it up and rearrange insurance.  Cheaper insurance for parking outside your house doesn't magically give you authority to park outside your house.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #1109 on: May 15, 2019, 04:21:46 pm »
Honestly, reading that is like feeling the level of stupidity in the universe rise until you're almost drowning. How do these people survive without adult carers?

Presumably if his car is damaged outside the house, any insurance won't pay up anyway, as he's illegally parked...
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #1110 on: May 15, 2019, 07:27:51 pm »
That or by parked outside his house they actually mean on the driveway
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #1111 on: May 16, 2019, 08:41:06 am »
One might imagine that by obtaining insurance on the proviso that he has parking outside his home when he doesn't have parking outside his home is defacto fraudulent anyway. It's the same as claiming your car is stored in a garage when you don't actually have a garage.

ETA: in a situation like this, I think we need a term for multidimensional stupidity, it's not just the singular stupid, like parking on a double-yellow, it somehow transcends.
!nataS pihsroW

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1112 on: June 09, 2019, 02:51:15 pm »

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/pictures-show-aftermath-car-fire-2957895
Posted here as the most appropriate place for 'Reasons why you shouldn't turn your garden into a parking space'.

« Reply #1113 on: June 10, 2019, 05:42:51 pm »
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/pictures-show-aftermath-car-fire-2957895
Posted here as the most appropriate place for 'Reasons why you shouldn't turn your garden into a parking space'.

"The cause of the fire was accidental ignition."

Really? Isn't that basically saying "it went on fire because it went on fire"?

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1114 on: June 10, 2019, 05:46:35 pm »

"The cause of the fire was accidental ignition."

Really? Isn't that basically saying "it went on fire because it went on fire"?

Well I don't know how else they could explain it, it wasn't even charging its battery.  And everyone knows it's only electric cars that randomly catch fire.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

fuzzy (retd.) AAGE

• SWMBO's Toy Boy.
  • Apprentice Leathery Old Git
    • The Secret Cyclist blog
« Reply #1115 on: June 11, 2019, 08:53:07 am »
Reminds me of an incident I came accross whilst doing a ver' ver' early morning patrol in that there Bourne End.

My crewmate and I were engaged in a bit of JDA* at about 0200 when we detected the odour of burning plastic.
We followed our noses (which for those of you that know me will understand is quite easy for me. I wasn't known as Big Nose for nothing) and discovered a car in a parking bay which had a fire inside the cab. After a quick check of the cab we were happy it was unoccupied
It was small but beyond the capabilties of our fire extinguisher. Not only couldn't we put the fire out, we couldn't identify the owner of the burning car or the one next to it as they were both PKO+.
The fire was rapidly expanding and after about 5 minutes, had started to bubble the paintwork on the car next to it. We were knocking on doors and trying to wake people to try and get the soon to be badly damaged car moved. No one we raised knew who the cars belonged to.

Shit then got very weird.
The first car was by now very much alight. Suddenly the engine fired into life........

Both crewmate and I looked at each other and I could see he was thinking WTF?$ as was I. I had a good look around the area and found no trace of Steven King, a 58 Chevy or anything else scary for that matter. At this point the Cavalry** arrived and saved the day but not the second vehicle which was by now also well alight.

We suspect that the engine started because the fire had melted insulation on the ignition loom in the cab and allowed the most definitive case of 'Hot Wiring' that I have ever seen.

I dread to think how things would have progressed if the car had been left in gear.

*JDA- Just Driving Around
+ Previous Keeper Only
$ You really need to ask?
** Bucks Fire and Rescue
Quote from: tatanab
The mark of a true cyclist - prepared to try anything on offer

If it ain't bad for you it ain't worth doing

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1116 on: June 11, 2019, 12:19:47 pm »
<pendant>
Mr King's haunted motor-car was a Plymouth.
</oendant>

fuzzy (retd.) AAGE

• SWMBO's Toy Boy.
  • Apprentice Leathery Old Git
    • The Secret Cyclist blog
« Reply #1117 on: June 11, 2019, 12:20:57 pm »
Just checking you were paying attention.

Every fule kno's that it was a Plymouth Fury
Quote from: tatanab
The mark of a true cyclist - prepared to try anything on offer

If it ain't bad for you it ain't worth doing

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1118 on: June 11, 2019, 01:21:31 pm »
I once followed my nose[1] to a perished fuel line under the bonnet of my car, which due to the gradient of the parking spot was steadily dripping motor spirit on some of the hot, loud oily stuff within, rather than the road beneath.  I proceeded to the nearest Halfrauds in order to replace it with a minimum of fucking around, for exactly this sort of reason.

[1] Which doesn't have a name, but has previous for early warning of developing combustion hazards.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #1119 on: June 11, 2019, 06:56:21 pm »
We were on our way to Stranraer to catch a ferry and smelt petrol on the road. As we neared the ferry terminal ,the smell got stronger and as we queued up the driver of the Jeep in front of us started looking underneath the vehicle.
Needless to say he was asked to leave the queue and park as far away from the buildings and cars .

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1120 on: June 12, 2019, 10:09:40 am »
A former... client saw me in a pub years ago, and when I returned to my motorcycle my nose told me all sorts of things.

He (allegedly, natch) had unscrewed the plug caps and put the leads close enough to allow a spark gap between cap and lead. He had then pulled off the petrol pipe so that the tank drained over said potential spark gap. I am sure you can work out what his intention was.

Five gallons of petrol certainly cleaned off all the old chain-lube in the drive sprocket area!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #1121 on: June 13, 2019, 12:00:11 am »
<pendant>
</oendant>
As featured in the Guardian weekend quiz the other week. What links a 1904 Darracq; 1963 Volkswagen Beetle and a 52 Plymouth Fury?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1122 on: June 13, 2019, 07:29:17 am »
<pendant>
</oendant>
As featured in the Guardian weekend quiz the other week. What links a 1904 Darracq; 1963 Volkswagen Beetle and a 52 Plymouth Fury?
(click to show/hide)
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #1123 on: June 13, 2019, 08:27:09 am »
<pendant>
</oendant>
(click to show/hide)

Tick. VG.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1124 on: June 13, 2019, 12:17:21 pm »
<pendant>
</oendant>

If the Graun really said "52" then the correct rnser is, of course, "Nothing".