Linked Events

• Dunwich Dynamo XVI, 9pm start: 19 July, 2008 - 20 July, 2008

Author Topic: It's the Dunwich Dynamo, 19/20 July 2008  (Read 92109 times)

Re: It's the Dunwich Dynamo, 19/20 July 2008
« Reply #675 on: 21 July, 2008, 01:56:04 pm »
Cor that ITV site is a bit crappy isn't it.   Was it this clip?   
   ITV Local YourNews - Dunwich Dynamo 2008

Didn't seem to have the commentry on this clip.

There were a few YACFers in the background of the clip - Andygates in the park, Emilio in the food stop, etc.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #676 on: 21 July, 2008, 01:59:47 pm »
Just got home - where I am currently "working"  :P

The ride itself was fairly uneventful - no rain, a helpful breeze etc. Of course, my legs didn't want to work anymore after 100 miles, but I'm used to that....

The beach was excellent. Annie and Nutkin with food and drink are a sight for sore eyes after a night's riding!

Met lots of new people (hello everybody!) and had a really good time.

I won't bother regalling the story of being unable to find a train station and paying a stupid amount of money for a B&B  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #677 on: 21 July, 2008, 02:00:11 pm »
There was Em getting some nosh, and my arse briefly... and unless I'm mistaken the voiceover track is missing ;)

(beaten to it!)

The one thing that has never been captured properly is that snake of blinkies.  They're the Ineffable Essence: you have to be there to see 'em properly, moving, and to know what they mean
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #678 on: 21 July, 2008, 02:02:06 pm »
I get sound on mine

« Reply #679 on: 21 July, 2008, 02:16:26 pm »
Yes, it was that clip.  Both links worked fine for me here with Firefox 2 under XP.

Both clips now working  :-\    Well the first one has sound and "your chosen content is now loading", whereas the other one has a different sound track for the first few seconds, and working video.

I won't bother regalling the story of being unable to find a train station and paying a stupid amount of money for a B&B  :P

Oh please do  :)

« Reply #680 on: 21 July, 2008, 02:18:21 pm »
I won't bother regalling the story of being unable to find a train station and paying a stupid amount of money for a B&B  :P

Could this be related to the large dent you and ToKaMaK were making in Annie's beer collection?  :P

« Reply #681 on: 21 July, 2008, 02:31:13 pm »
I won't bother regalling the story of being unable to find a train station and paying a stupid amount of money for a B&B  :P

Could this be related to the large dent you and ToKaMaK were making in Annie's beer collection?  :P

We were just tired  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Chris N

« Reply #682 on: 21 July, 2008, 02:34:39 pm »

I wondered where you two disappeared to.  You should have come up to Darsham - the guard let about 30 bikes onto the 2.45 train and I got back to Chelmsford just after 5pm.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #683 on: 21 July, 2008, 03:02:13 pm »
I thought the ITV piece was quite good - better pictures than last year's effort, and a nice shot with the candle in the jar.  We overhauled the recumbent candle fairies somewhere amongst the Rodings, so sadly not many candles for us.  A later start and halftime self-sufficiency (Alex and I know people who live in Sudbury and Lavenham) may be an option next year.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #684 on: 21 July, 2008, 03:05:46 pm »

*nods sagely*

« Reply #685 on: 21 July, 2008, 03:06:33 pm »
the recumbent candle fairies

Aha!  That may explain the recumbent riders I met at Lavenham - I'd wondered how they'd got there so quickly, given that they didn't seem to be taking a particularly racy approach to the ride.

vince

« Reply #686 on: 21 July, 2008, 03:08:55 pm »
Yup, anyone who has a mind to cause chaos simply needs to leave early with a stash of jam jars and candles.

« Reply #687 on: 21 July, 2008, 03:22:55 pm »
What a delight.  Now that most of the physical (and some of the mental) impairment has faded, I can look back on this year's ride and confirm what I had suspected at the time, namely that this is a mighty fine event and that this year's was, by a long chalk, the best of the three I've done. 

Big thanks to Annie and Nutkin, whose presence on the beach when I arrived a bit earlier than I had expected was very reassuring and whose supplies of laughter, drinks and delicious food made the following six hours pass in a blissful (if slightly breezy) blur.

It was good to meet some familiar faces at London Fields, and this time I was bold enough to introduce myself to more yacfers.  My friend Niall and I headed off at about 8.15 with a hybrid-riding friend who was not quite fully over his norovirus attack of four days earlier so hadn't quite had the training or feeding up he might have wanted before tackling a ride more than twice the length of his previous longest ride; however, he kept up a fair pace out of London before bailing out at Lavenham and pootling down to Ipswich for a train home. 

In the meantime, I'd been through a grumpy let's-just-get-on-with-the-ride patch, heading off on my own towards the Rodings and wearing myself out in the process.  Sorry to folk whom I ignored - I gather I was hailed from the roadside but had my head down and didn't hear. Niall caught me up (without noticing me, and I was physically incapable of speaking at the same time as clinging on to his wheel) and lost me as we left Great Dunmow.  He paused just beyond Great Bardfield to phone me, and I caught up about 30 seconds later.  Niall had been on the ride back in 2005 and had found it challenging (there were pauses to lie in the verge, and many jelly-beans); this year he was in full racing fettle and insisted in carrying me in his slipstream to Lavenham. 

We hit the Lavenham Conference Centre/Sports Arena to find about ten riders there, and some very welcome soup and tea.  We sat outside and greeted various folk as they rolled in, but headed off when we started to feel the cold.

I regained the use of my legs and we kept up a cracking pace, occasionally riding with small groups of other riders but, from about Cretingham onwards, just the two of us.  Loads of bats, lots of rabbits of the live and the dead varieties, one owl heard and the first lark-song somewhere near Peasenhall.  Loose chippings, eh?  That was dreadful on the approach to Framlingham.  But the lanes from Sibton onwards were mainly brilliant - and knowing that the end was nigh made it possible to go hell for leather for the finish, with the last assault on the coast taking the form of a mile or more of total eyeballs-out lunacy over the heath, a final hurtle past the friary and screeching to a halt on the beach at 4.10 to find that the café was open already and, although they'd not started cooking yet, they took our orders while we slurped milky coffee and munched on chocolate.

I left Niall to doze in the café and, having seen Annie walking across the beach, decided to go out and say hello to her and Nutkin, whom I'd met on a FNRttC (in fact I'm pretty sure that was the occasion on which my zip-ties had been deployed to re-attach a front mudguard in Hackbridge or thereabouts).  Very much enjoyed the dazed and exhausted banter and A&N's splendid sea-front loungeteria/refugee centre. 

I ran off at one point to greet a colleague who rolled in on an extraordinarily tall hybrid with ortliebs front and rear, and Niall also emerged from the café and was given a very warm welcome (and a couple of blankets) by Annie and the rest of the yacf crew - thank you all, on his behalf.  He texted me to say he'd cycled down to Ipswich rather than trying the Darsham option, and to say he'd enjoyed meeting "your unusual friends" - what can he mean?

Family R rolled onto the beach at about 10 (I think one or two yacfers may have glimpsed offspring in tow) at which stage we repaired to the water's edge and played with jellyfish and pebbles and got a bit wet, and then headed off to Orford for ham, egg and chips with a pint of Adnams, followed by a visit to the rather gorgeous castle with its views over Orford Ness and its grim pagodas.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #688 on: 21 July, 2008, 03:35:50 pm »
OK, own up - who got lost? 

one of the guys in the bike shop was driving home from a party at about 1 and saw about 50 people in Thaxted all looking a bit puzzled :D 

he was amazed by how poor some peoples lights were, said he came up behind a group of about 10 people on the main (ish) road into thaxted riding 5 abreast with no real lighting at all.  :(

I was suprised by how many people on the Run had little or no lighting.  A poor show I thought.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

vince

« Reply #689 on: 21 July, 2008, 03:39:14 pm »
There were a couple of courier/fakenger types that wound me up with no rear lights and stealth clothing. You can get two LEDs from Tesco that will clip on to your bag/jersey etc. It isn't exactly difficult and gives everyone a fighting chance  >:(

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #690 on: 21 July, 2008, 03:43:10 pm »
Then again the moonlight was so good and so damn pretty that I turned my lights off when alone and just drifted, ghostlike, through the countryside for a few miles. 

Charlotte described the Dun Run as being a bit like a gathering of the Clans.  I guess the "bloody brakeless lightless fakengers!" thing is just part of the kibbitzing we expect within such a broad church.   :thumbsup:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #691 on: 21 July, 2008, 03:45:29 pm »
One person had stopped in the middle of the road on a downhill section

I remember him. Just stopped bang in the middle of the road on a fast downhill turn. No nearby junctions or potential turns. Just stopped.  ???  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #692 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:18:43 pm »
I really enjoyed the ride. I didn't find any of the hills daunting, I took 6 chocolate / raisin geobars with me, had a couple of bags of crisps & two pints of Broadside as my pre-ride carbo-loading at the start and a pint of orange juice and lemonade and a bag of nuts from the Moreton pub. Cheeky bugger tried to sell me some Britvic concoction at £1.90 for a half-pint bottle.

Spent a lot of time with Regulator in the first half, and Andrij & Andy Gates intermittently to the food stop but then I ballsed up. Andrij needed to do some running repairs on his route sheet holder but I was v. cold and needed to get moving, so I set off... in the wrong direction. I had only gone about 100 yards before realising my mistake, but it made me think that Reg & Andrij were now ahead of me. As the sky lightened, so I pressed on, and I think I was getting on the nerves of a guy with a pair of green flip-flops attached to his seat pack, I was on his wheel so often. The 30 miles from Lavenham were all cat-and-mouse with a number of groups: they would overtake me on the climbs, but I would go past them on the flat and descents. I was riding strongly throughout the second half and my moving speed since leaving home was 13 mph. Since this included faffing around in stations and slow London traffic, that was not at all bad.

About 20 miles out of Dunwich, the stereophonic whistling of the Glorious 9th suddenly wafted its way towards me and then, oh frabjous day, there were Charlotte and Liz, although how on earth they managed to stay behind me for so long I'll never know. I assumed they had already arrived in Dunwich, it being about 5.30. We had a brief refreshment stop in which we discussed the pain associated with the donation of organs and Liz described a wonderful method of extracting kidneys from donors by inflating their abdomens with carbon dioxide. I opined that I thought that being a donor of anything would involve pain, and when one of them suggested sperm, I remarked that even that is an awful lot of effort these days.

On resuming the ride, I sat on their wheel for quite a long time until a P stop was necessary, shortly after Peasenhall. Being a gallant sort, I volunteered to press ahead whilst the ladies powdered their noses, saying that they were sure to catch me soon anyway, but then I saw a sign saying "Dunwich 7". I thought it would be a tremendous ruse to be on the beach ready to greet them, and gave it a fair bit of welly for the last few miles. I almost made it too, but they caught me just after the final top on Westleton Heath, so we freewheeled down the hill together to be greeted by the most welcome sight: the Annietourage.

We'll gloss over the journey home.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

« Reply #693 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:20:39 pm »
I was behind Flip Flop Man for a while as well.

Perhaps there's something wrong with the space/time continuum in Suffolk and we can't exist on the same section of road at the same time...  ;D

Green Party Councillor

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #694 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:22:18 pm »
Wow, glad to hear that you had a great ride.  I am sorry I didn't stay around to talk to you, but I had to get to Diss for my train. 
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #695 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:25:08 pm »
I'm pretty sure they were crocs and not flip flops.

Regarding other shared experiences, when tall bloke on a bike went past me I thought, great someone riding a tall bike. I didn't realise it was a very tall man riding a normal bike until later.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #696 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:28:54 pm »
What I have to say on the subject of the Dun Run:

Not a ride report
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #697 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:32:09 pm »
Who WAS that green croc man?  I thought he was One Of Us...

Regulator

« Reply #698 on: 21 July, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »
Who WAS that green croc man?  I thought he was One Of Us...

Darling...  Crocs are so last year.  I'm sure no yACFer would commit such a grievous crime against fashion.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #699 on: 21 July, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »
I've not much to say really. how can you write up a DunRun that was not a "TRIAL BY RAIN" ?

This was my fourth and if the first had been like this, I'd think it was a complete doddle and be wondering why everyone talks about it with such reverence.

I had a lovely time, I spent almost the whole ride alone, just catching people at stops.
In contrast to previous years, the rest stops came up really quickly. I could not believe how quickly the 24hr garage appeared. Then the pub with no name, where I had a half pint and a nice chat with everyone, then the T-junction where I sat and had a chat with Emily, then the food stop, where I unpacked my secret weapon and cooked myself a curry (or rather reheated one I'd made earlier in the week) in the car park (I'd never have dared to fire up a stove in the building - naughty Charlotte!!!).
Then I queued forever for two cups of tea and had another chat with Em (this time caught on film on the ITV documentary (fortunately that's my back and hilarious helmet hair you see in the clip).

Just a few miles out of Dunwhich I stopped to admire dawn from a handy hidden layby and watched dozens of cyclists pass by with hardly any of them spotting me (a good place for a kip in future?).

The last bit was a real slog as I'd planned to have another brew up and a cooked breakfast, but had forgotten to pack milk and decided at the last minute not to take the bacon, beans and black sausage and then tortured myself for about 5 miles with cravings for it.

What can I say that hasn't already been said about Annie and Nutkin (real name??). I sat around eating and being pampered for far too long before heading off to Ipswich with Emily, but we somehow (blame my navigation here) missed the turn and rode miles out of our way before finally finding Ipswich thanks to Emily taking over the navigation. All attempts to get food en route were foiled by the cunning ply of there being no shops at all anywhere on the route we followed. Where do all these people who live there buy things?

The train back from Ipswich weas pleasant enough, enlivened by our feeble attempts at conversation where we would alternatively fall asleep mid-word. At one point I drifted off in mid-sentance to wake up to see Emily's eyes rolling in her head while she was still speaking. Only she was just talking gibberish. Any onlookers must have concluded we were drunk, on drugs, or just both very very boring (as opposed to just me!!!)

Back I managed to watch the Tour de France, before slumping into drooling incompetence and being shooed off tho bed by the whole family. Today I feel great, except I can't think, form coherent sentences or stop eating!