Author Topic: What are you having for supper tonight?  (Read 339725 times)

Re: What are you having for supper tonight?
« Reply #2575 on: 14 January, 2015, 03:18:14 pm »
I never mentioned fuel and its cost either.
Raw potatoes are £1.25 for 2.5kg at Sainsbury's. That's a lot of food if you can cook it...

And apparently (according to my hairdresser) 99p for the same at Aldi.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2576 on: 14 January, 2015, 03:22:41 pm »
I never mentioned fuel and its cost either.
Raw potatoes are £1.25 for 2.5kg at Sainsbury's. That's a lot of food if you can cook it...

And apparently (according to my hairdresser) 99p for the same at Aldi.

Potatoes are cheap enough and a 25p difference in a month's supply is hardly significant.
What IS significant is some of the variation in prices of my protein foods.

« Reply #2577 on: 18 January, 2015, 08:23:48 pm »
Pork saltimboca with parsley and garlic sauté potatoes. A nice Italian red to wash it down with too followed by some of Mrs Pcolbecks ginger cake. Burp.
I do wonder though why the kitchen looks like a bomb site after I have cooked no matter how hard I try to clean up as I go along.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2578 on: 18 January, 2015, 08:47:27 pm »
Lamb shoulder slow cooked in red wine, garlic and herbs with veg.  And crispy roast potatoes. 
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #2579 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:07:00 pm »
Pot-roasted pheasant, sliced spuds and chipped parsnips sautéed in goose fat, and red cabbage.

My kitchen looks like pcolbeck's.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2580 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:10:10 pm »
Bangers and mash rice. with peas and gravy. My mashing spud had gone green, but the gravy actually goes pretty well with the rice.

Also cooked up a batch of spinach, lentil and root veg soup which is now freezing ready for this weeks lunches at work :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2581 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:11:45 pm »
Bangers and rice sounds like a good departure from the norm...
Must give it a try....

ETA - Delia's spicy chicken here, with tumeric, ginger & garlic,  creme freche loaded with curry powder & three salads: Coleslaw. Rocket carrot & garlic. Water cress, red cabbage, red onion & pomegranate seeds, dressed with yog & horseradish dressing. Nom.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2582 on: 20 January, 2015, 07:40:34 pm »
Roast gammon/spuds/sweet potatoes/carrots with yorkshires, peas, broad beans, sweet corn and onion gravy.  Then rice pud with jam.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2583 on: 28 January, 2015, 11:38:43 pm »
Set meal from Taste of Raj, now ordered via Hungry House.
Menu no longer features 'Aborigines'.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2584 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:15:08 am »
Monday was a lovely, chunky, flaky piece of Hake, with chips of course.  No mushy peas though :(

Tuesday was the most fantastic steak I have had in a long time, and easily the best I have ever had as a bar meal.  Thick, tasty, perfectly cooked (Bleu, FWIW) and so tender that the proffered steak knife was not needed.

Wednesday was a passable steak and onion baguette, but I had to wait 45 minutes for it and only got it after I, sarcastically, asked "Is there any chance of me getting the food I ordered today?"

Last night was one of my new favourites, and one I am going to try and cook at home for Mrs T and TLD, which is Bacon steaks topped with Welsh Rarebit.  NOMNOMNOM!!!!  Even better was the fact I washed it down with a local beer (Gower Brewery Lighthouse)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2585 on: 30 January, 2015, 06:28:32 pm »
The stew I made yesterday from the tail-ends of veg in the fridge and freezer, and the defrosted chicken joints left in the bottom of the freezer.  Chucked some split peas in, salt, pepper, and masses of dried sage with some bacon lardons and it was delicious.  It was supposed to be protein replenishment after the ride that didn't happen today, but it can be carb loading for tomorrow instead.  Seconds R US.
Milk please, no sugar.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #2586 on: 30 January, 2015, 07:24:05 pm »
It was going to be Lemon Not-Chicken and egg fried rice.  Then I got texts from the teen asking if a friend could come round... well, it'll probably stretch to an extra person.  Then I got texts asking if another friend could come too.  Hmmm.

Rummage in freezer and break out the two emergency packs of Kim-friendly-sausages and find some quorn ones for me.  Toad in the hole, with mash, roast sweet potatoes/carrots, peas, broad beans and sweetcorn.  With lots of onion and mushroom gravy.

Nom.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2587 on: 08 February, 2015, 05:34:58 pm »
This :)

Beef Goulash, for once with potato in it instead of pasta. Inspired by looking back through some old Kildale photos this weekend. :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

tiermat

« Reply #2588 on: 08 February, 2015, 05:37:48 pm »
Peannam soup plus corn bread and/or rye bread.

The soup was home made, the bread bought.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2589 on: 18 February, 2015, 10:43:02 pm »
Oxtail stew, which took five hours to incinerate cook. Absolutely gorgeous. Even incorporated a bottle of porter too.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2590 on: 18 February, 2015, 10:51:50 pm »
Grilled pork steaks, frozen mixed veg with a knob of butter. Annanapple.
Milk please, no sugar.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #2591 on: 22 February, 2015, 06:19:34 pm »
Curry (prawn/pepper/pea/potato for the Cubs, Quorn/mushroom/pea/potato for me) with rice and naan bread.  Followed by 'must empty the fruit bowl of over-ripe stuff' crumble, which ended up being plum and banana with a handful of sultanas in, served with custard.  Bloody tasty it was, too.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2592 on: 22 February, 2015, 06:28:19 pm »
Pork cheeks again. Going to have to unship the kitteh from my lap to go and dish it up though ;(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #2593 on: 23 February, 2015, 08:49:38 pm »
Monday is karate night, which means beans-on-toast (technically, beans-inna-bowl-with-cheese-on-top-toast-on-the-side) and I tend not to eat with the Cubs and do lots of getting ready and repeating 'hurry up!' quite a lot.  They got a blindingly-good-bargain-at-the-online-checkout panna cotta with raspberry coulis each (none for me, as only two in the pack) and fresh blueberries too.

Post-karate, I just cooked myself linguine with mushrooms, asparagus, olives and capers in a sour cream, garlic and black pepper sauce.  That was rather good, for a 10 minute meal :D

And we each had a chocolate cupcake for after karate that were a present from the Smallest-Superhero-Next-Door's mum.

tiermat

« Reply #2594 on: 23 February, 2015, 09:19:45 pm »
At the risk of this turning into "First World Problems", I very nearly had Nothing, with a side order of fuck all and a garnish of thin air.

I arrived at my hotel, late (as in 20:00), checked in and went to the bar, arrived at 20:05.  Bar close to being empty.  I ordered a drink and food.  Other people arrived after me, doing the same.  I sat there, patiently, drinking my drink, checking up on social media etc.  I noticed that one or two of those that came in after me had received their food.  No problem, though I, they may have ordered stuff that is quicker to prepare.  Eventually it go to the only people left in the bar are me and a table of three that came in a good 20 minutes after me.

As the waitress brought them their food I asked "Excuse me, but could you find out when I'll be getting my food?", when she returned she said "It is just on it's way out" to which I replied "Forget it, there are others in here who ordered well after me and they have had their food, so just forget it".  As I went back to my room I told the Duty Manager that, when the tab comes through, I wasn't going to pay for it, and recounted the story.

Fast forward 10 minutes and I get a phone call, in my room, saying they will do the food FOC, throw in a drink and send it to my room.  That's what I call customer service!

« Reply #2595 on: 18 March, 2015, 09:17:38 pm »
Three freshly made salads.
Yes, I made three on a school night.
Nom!
Wivva pork, beef, Guinness & Dijon mustard burger & salad potatoes sauted with oregano.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2596 on: 28 March, 2015, 07:41:02 pm »
Slow cooked vegetarian chilli, made with instant coffee, marmite and dark chocolate (among other things).  Served with a big dollop of sour cream and cheesy nachos.

A fabulous richness and depth of flavour, and a velvet feel on the tongue.  No garlic in this recipe and it really doesn't need it.  Mmmm.
Milk please, no sugar.

tiermat

« Reply #2597 on: 28 March, 2015, 08:41:08 pm »
We had dirty pizza whilst vwatching Big Hero Six. Both were good and just the ticket!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2598 on: 28 March, 2015, 08:50:54 pm »
You've watched that before, haven't you?
Milk please, no sugar.

tiermat

« Reply #2599 on: 28 March, 2015, 08:55:46 pm »
You've watched that before, haven't you?

On my own, whilst away, yes. Tonight was with TLD and her mate, Mrs T being on her way to parts furrin.