Author Topic: Michelin Krylion - alternatives?  (Read 40614 times)

Michelin Krylion - alternatives?
« on: 09 July, 2008, 04:56:44 pm »
I'm changing tyres soon.  I've used Krylions for a couple of years and been very happy with them but I'm not waiting until November for a new set!  >:(  Angry smiley for Michelin.

Is there anything very similar?

I'm looking for 23mm, fairly lightweight, folding, but with reasonable p*ncture protection.  And don't say Conti's - I've never had much luck with them.

I like the look of Schwalbe Ultremos as they seem generously sized for 23s, but thought they might be a bit too race specific.  Anyone used them?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Michelin Krylion - alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2008, 05:04:09 pm »
Why wait, I know that Decathlon still have stock (at least at the Sheffield store they do)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2008, 05:09:47 pm »
Check also this thread.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2008, 12:08:10 am »
After giving up looking for a set of Krylions (no stock in anywhere :(), I relunctantly tried Specialized Roubaix Armadillo Elites and was surprised to find them very good. In fact, they're possibly the best tyres I've used; they grip well wet or dry, roll comfortably, and no p******e fairy visits in six months of London commuting.

The Roubaixs are exactly 25mm wide and are a similar weight to the 25mm Krylions. I think All Condition Armadillo Elite are almost the same tyre, but in 23mm.

« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2008, 08:25:56 am »
I had some Specialized Armadillos once and really didn't enjoy the ride.
I haven't tried the Roubaix though, I was also considering the Ultremo as a temporary replacement for the out of stock Krylions.

« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2008, 10:22:58 am »
What about Bontrager racelite Hardcase. Available from All Terrain Cycles for a £10 and come in a variety of sizes. Not the lightest tyre but my partner uses these on her commute (26 mile round trip) and has had NO punctures during this time. She did have a shard of glass cut the tyre, but I'll accept that can happen. My krylions have actually punctured twice in less time on the same route.

ChrisO

« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2008, 11:07:01 am »
I've just fitted an Ultremo.

The ride is OK but the protection is rubbish.

Within the first week I got a gash down the side wall that the tube is now poking through. So it's cost me about 10p per kilometre.

And it was replacing a Stelvio where the protective layer started poking through the inner casing after about a month. I only worked it out after getting very slow punctures every week.

I have a Krylion at home waiting to be fitted so I'll see how that goes.

But I agree with Pumpkin about Bontrager. I've done thousands of kilometres on the previous pair of Bontrager Race Lites with occasional but not frequent enough to notice punctures.

I replace them with more expensive tires and I'm on my third in six weeks.

« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2008, 11:45:41 am »
It seems the Specialized Armadillo Elites are very different to the standard Armadillo tyres, which have been called 'black ice' :( due to cr*p wet weather grip, along with a ride like a garden hose mounted on your rims. (Though to be fair, I have found wider 26" Nimbus Armadillos OK and no p******s in several thousand miles).

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2008, 11:52:52 am »
I got a pair of the (much) cheaper Michelin Lithions: so far so good.
If Krylions became extinct, I'd maybe stick with them, or go back to Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps, although I did seem to be getting more visitations with them latterly, which is why I went over to Michelins.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #9 on: 30 July, 2008, 07:52:50 pm »
I am about to put my second last Krylion on the rear of the TCR.  The existing tyre is not ruined yet, but it is very very very very very very thin  ;D

It has completed an impressive 4,505.9 miles too  :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 30 July, 2008, 08:16:10 pm »
Chainreaction still have them.

« Reply #11 on: 30 July, 2008, 08:29:56 pm »
Not according to their website.  Due in stock in October / November.

« Reply #12 on: 30 July, 2008, 08:31:17 pm »
Oh. Sorry.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 31 July, 2008, 08:38:08 am »
Vittoria Rubino Pro
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

KidJambo

• Ex-sales manager for Michelin bicycle tyres
    • Michelin Tyres
« Reply #14 on: 16 January, 2009, 11:29:44 am »
The wait is finally over! After many months and numerous false dawns, the Krylion Carbon is finally back in the market. Stocks are on their way to our wholesale distribution partners as we speak so should be in the retailers in the next week or so. I should point out that this only concerns the 23C Grey version at present (the biggest seller globally) with other dimensions/colours following in late February/early March. Time to break out the Champers! :)
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #15 on: 16 January, 2009, 01:03:15 pm »
I was going to suggest the superlative Pro3 Grip. Having worn the Pro2 Grip almost to the canvas (square section tyres anyone?), I changed to the Pro3 and so far so good. They cope fantastically on almost any surface except wet grass and liquid mud.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #16 on: 16 January, 2009, 01:09:50 pm »
Not a bad suggestion at all - the Pro3 Grip works well - a bit lighter than the Krylion but not quite as durable.

The funny thing about this tyre is that in its original form it was called the Axial Pro WINTER. Basically it has a soft rubber compound designed to work in wet/cold conditions. In the original pre-launch technical bulletin on this tyre it said it was designed to work in temperatures "below 15 degrees" so they could have effectively called it ALL YEAR ROUND for the UK market! They actually changed the name to GRIP as some stupid people - and I am sure that none of them inhabit this site - thought that, because of the name, you could only use it between December and February and had to remove them in March regardless of prevailing weather conditions!
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

« Reply #17 on: 16 January, 2009, 01:45:48 pm »
The wait is finally over! After many months and numerous false dawns, the Krylion Carbon is finally back in the market. Stocks are on their way to our wholesale distribution partners as we speak so should be in the retailers in the next week or so. I should point out that this only concerns the 23C Grey version at present (the biggest seller globally) with other dimensions/colours following in late February/early March. Time to break out the Champers! :)
Huzzah !!  Thanks for this. I spotted on Wiggle that they are expecting stocks soonish (April ??)

I'm delighted to say that my attempt to corner the remaining UK stocks of Krylions bore enough fruit that I still have a couple left.

Rust never sleeps

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #18 on: 16 January, 2009, 01:54:13 pm »
Did better than me then - comes to something when the sales manager for a tyre company has to resort to using a competitors products...albeit with the use of a Sharpie marker pen blacking-out the sidewall markings!

« Reply #19 on: 16 January, 2009, 08:41:51 pm »
Huzzah !!  Thanks for this. I spotted on Wiggle that they are expecting stocks soonish (April ??)

I'm delighted to say that my attempt to corner the remaining UK stocks of Krylions bore enough fruit that I still have a couple left.

TFFT they are coming back.

« Reply #20 on: 30 January, 2009, 11:13:52 am »
Look what I just got from All Terrain Cycles : -

"MICHELIN KRYLIONS 23C BLACK FOLDING IN STOCK ON MONDAY 2RD

LIMITED STOCK ORDER NOW TO SECURE DELIVERY"

But at £29.98 !!!
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #21 on: 30 January, 2009, 02:36:49 pm »
I've been considering what to put on during the coming summer (any excuse for dreaming of warmer days ahead). I use 25mm GP 4 seasons in the winter and for previous summers I've used GP4000 & GP4000S. I've been happy with these but I'm keen to try an alternative.

My main wishes are for good penetration resistance and reasonable longevity (preferably matching the above conti's in both respects). I ride mainly country lanes for club runs and audax up to 200km. Are the Krylions a suitable alternative do you think (if I can overcome my preference for all black tyres)?

« Reply #22 on: 30 January, 2009, 02:58:11 pm »

But at £29.98 !!!

I just rushed over there because I thought 'that's a good price for a pair'. Woah! They can keep 'em at that price. >:(

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #23 on: 30 January, 2009, 07:11:25 pm »

But at £29.98 !!!

The SRP on these tyres is now £28.99 and is the same across Europe - allowing for slight fluctuations with the £ to € exchange rate!!

« Reply #24 on: 30 January, 2009, 07:14:41 pm »
Bloody hell !!   I'll be finding something else to ride on then.
Rust never sleeps