Author Topic: New fixie needed - what choices are there?  (Read 9183 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: New fixie needed - what choices are there?
« Reply #25 on: 18 December, 2011, 10:45:17 pm »

No they're like that.  It's tight to fit a mudguard under there but it does work. If you were prepared to wait I'm sure they'd do you one with a bit more brake bridge clearance but it might cost a little extra.  One of the reasons I chose the bike is the tight clearances - it makes for a lovely responsive ride.  The Vigorelli is a good compromise between stiffness, response, practicality and comfort.

But I can't see how a brake bridge that's an eighth of an inch higher or lower will change the responsiveness of the ride.  It certainly is a nice ride. I gave Pluck's a bit of a pounding up Spanker's Hill (as far as my cold riden body could anyway). Goes where you want it when you want it. And light.
What are you thinking of for wheels and components?

I've been talking to Big Al at Wheelcraft about wheels. Amrosio rim of some sort, maybe Royce hubs, not sure. He can do a good price on a Miche Pista chainset, but given Pluck's tribulations I think that's one to avoid. What chainset and BB have you on yours? And wheels for that matter?

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #26 on: 18 December, 2011, 11:43:58 pm »
The brake bridge tweak wouldn't affect the ride, you'd just need to make sure the brakes you choose fit OK, but I am running longer drops anyway and have a fair bit of adjustment to spare.

My wheels are Rigida Chrina rims on Phil Wood high flange hubs.  I was going to use Ambrosio Excellence but couldn't get 36h for love nor money.  If it were for everyday use I'd probably have gone for Goldtech.  Royce would be an excellent choice too natch.

I went for a Sugino chainset due to the quality and easy availablilty of reliable bottom brackets, plus it was the only one immediately available in 175.  I sort of regret not getting Campag Record Pista or Dura Ace though.

You have to order it in Oxford Blue of course! :-)

« Reply #27 on: 19 December, 2011, 10:00:33 am »
I'd agree that the Sugino option gives more bottom bracket choice and is perhaps a better choice for that reason. Having said that, I've used the sealed version of the Record BB for quite a few thousand miles in whatever weather prevails without any problem at all:

http://www.velodromeshop.net/index.php?p=product&id=258

I've never really understood the Goldtec chainline - the one I had gave something quite far removed from the specified 42 mm as mentioned on their website, I'd say more like 46 or 47mm. However, that was a now discontinued gunmetal finish model and I read somewhere on LFGSS that they have changed the chainline since then. The Goldtec does at least make some effort to shield the bearings - the Phil Wood relies totally on the bearing seals themselves. Again, not a problem for me thus far.

The brake bridge height: it's never really been an issue for me, but I mentioned it to Tim as I reckon it might be more noticeable if more of my riding was on skoggy lanes. A couple of mm more would be worth getting if they can do it. It helps if your set-up puts the axle not less than halfway along the track ends; further forward brings the tyre closer to the brake bridge.

« Reply #28 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:41:22 am »
One plus poimt for the Phil hubs (apart from the bling factor) is the fact they are very easy to maintain and it's a 5 minute job to put fresh oil on the stainless axle and ensure the bearings are clean and have a protective film of grease on them.  Goldtecs seem to have a bulletproof reputation though and seem to stand neglect without any issues - I did have a pair and liked them a lot, although I didn't have them long enough to feel the need to service them.  There is the odd article on other fora about Goldtech flange breakages too, although that might be over-zealous spoke tension. Zillions of messengers can't be wrong.

« Reply #29 on: 23 December, 2011, 07:58:31 pm »
Dawes Mono? It includes mudguards as standard. Spa have it for £390, it may be available even cheaper.
Though it does have a somewhat sloping top tube.

Hmm ...  I am also in the mood for a new fixie[1] and the EBC Revolution Track had been well out in front until I saw the Dawes Mono.  Now I'm not so sure which way to go.  The Track will need raceblades (which I've already got) and has rack mounting screws, the Dawes Mono takes much larger tyres and comes with mudguards, but lacks the rack mounting points ...

Decisions, decisions, decisions ...  Still, until the Tesco Mastercard with 15 months of 0% on purchases arrives I don't need to finalise my decision!  (Well, other than realising that if I get an "off the peg" rather than building up Thorn Audax Mk3 with bits from parts bin I'll need to change my screen name?)

[1] Am replacing the same recumbent with a fixie for the 2nd time.  That's probably says something, but I'm not sure what?

« Reply #30 on: 31 December, 2011, 10:02:44 pm »
There is the VN Yukon but it might be out of budget.

simonp

« Reply #31 on: 04 January, 2012, 12:56:26 am »
There is the VN Yukon but it might be out of budget.

My 2012 spec one is lovely.