Author Topic: The worst ride of 2011  (Read 4196 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
The worst ride of 2011
« on: 16 November, 2011, 09:23:43 pm »
For balance.

Riding to the camping weekend at Watlington.  Started OK but I'd had a cold the previous week and a snot rocket went badly wrong just before Wantage.  I thought one of the Ghostbusters ghouls had drenched me in ectoplasm.  Took the wrong road out of Wantage and ended up on some horrible busy A-road to Harwell.  Got through Didcot without being eaten by the chuds and then started to flag a bit.  Screwed up the navigation again at Wallingford and ended up using the bypass in a Friday rush hour.  Narrowly avoiding lorry DETH, I stopped before Ewelme and ate a couple of biscuits which utterly failed to revive me.  It was also hotter than Satan's bollocks and I could barely see through the sweat.  Limped the last few miles and found the Fell Club had got all the best pitches at the site.  Made camp and went for fish and chips, which made me feel like an overinflated spacehopper.  I had a shower and felt a bit better by the time iddu rocked up.

Thankfully the next day was great.

Moral: don't set out on a longish late afternoon ride having eaten an early lunch.  Most of all, 40 fully-laden miles are equivalent to 80 unladen miles over rolling terrain.  Do not underestimate the strength-sapping qualities of a touring load.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Martin

Re: The worst ride of 2011
« Reply #1 on: 16 November, 2011, 09:54:49 pm »
100km from Motala to Jonkopping after the Vatternrundan; pissed down literally all day; started badly after a fitful night's sleep inna tent; cold, hungry, 300 km in my legs from the previous day. Passed by most of the previous day's field (in cars) and lorries. No mudguards, Not enough places to shelter in the warm (June in Sweden = March in UK). Lumpy and boring, and someone stole my gear from the showers the night before which didn't affect the ride just put me in a bad mood (so probably did; I ride better when I'm happy)

and when we finally got to the hotel we had to wring our gear out (all of it including a tent) and pay $100 a bottle for BEER

rest of the trip was great though...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2 on: 16 November, 2011, 10:10:41 pm »
) and pay $100 a bottle for BEER

:o
f uckapig

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2011, 10:14:07 pm »
The return leg,ALL of it into a headwind,of the Straight On At Rosies 200km audax complete with the compulsory gratuitous UPHILL finish.
Best described as "character building" methinks.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 16 November, 2011, 10:16:29 pm »
) and pay $100 a bottle for BEER

:o
f uckapig

slight exaggeration; nearer $10

« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2011, 10:42:41 pm »
Marmotte this year. Did the long miles in preparation. Did the hill reps in preparation.
Nuun tablets and salt crystals in my bidons at the start. Refuelled at the top of the Glandon.
Bugger! Cramp in both legs on the descent. Stopped near the bottom to stretch out the cramps.
By the Telegraph the cramps had returned and were unbearable. I had to peddle very softly
to prevent them from returning. Anyway, this continued all the way to the the end and I'm not joking.
I finished, but about 15 minutes outside the time limit.

Oh, and a French camera crew took great delight in filming me as I walked on Alpe D'huez after
a cramp attack.  >:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2011, 10:55:17 pm »
The ride to the Mildenhall Rally:

Started off fairly miserably in Peterborough, on account of cheap train tickets.  As I escaped the town, it started to rain.  Then I got a sudden lesson in the difference between weight and mass as I took a right turn slightly too fast for the conditions, lost the back wheel on a patch of greasy crud, and made a split second decision to go down sideways rather than recover from the skid and continue feet-first into an unknown ditch.  This must have looked a lot more spectacular than it was, at least to the lorry driver who stopped to check I was okay.

Finding myself bleeding in a pool of mud with a broken bike, just as it really started to chuck it down, cheered me up immensely, in that bizarre masochistic it-can't-possibly-get-any-worse mentality that makes you proud to be British.  I decided that I wasn't seriously injured, re-attached the pannier that had come off, retrieved my mirror from the puddle where I'd watched it go *sposh* in slow motion during the fall, and got nice and oily un-wedging the chain.  Turned lights on for safety purposes and rode off into the downpour.

Ramsey, Forty Foot Bank and Chatteris: some of the country's most boring cycling, punctuated only by gusts of sidewind and an onion spill on the road outside Chatteris.  Fortunately, it was raining hard enough that the mud was soon washed off, in spite of the efforts of passing vehicles to replenish it.  Across the Hundred Foot Drain (you know you're in trouble when all the geographical features are drainage-related), site of a previous worst ride of the year, and on towards Ely.  Eventually I found a bus shelter, and stopped.

This was when I realised that my ankle was about twice its usual size, which probably explained why it was feeling a bit funny.  Wiping the puddle of dilute chamois cream off the top, I opened a pannier and nibbled some custard creams, which hadn't fared well in the crash and were suspiciously soggy (what I didn't realise until later was that there were two thumb-sized holes in my nearly new Ortlieb, collecting spray from the front wheel and depositing it in my kitchen kit).  I gave up trying to work my phone, because there wasn't anything dry enough to dry my fingers on well enough to work the touchscreen.  I think it was at this point that I first gave serious consideration to the idea of joining Audax UK.

I carried on through Ely, past the cathedral, which I'm sure is a lot more interesting when your glasses aren't soaked, and down the A142.  Nothing but road spray as far as you could see.  My knee started to hurt.  And then continued to hurt.  Turn off for Isleham, tailwind but in no state to appreciate it.  The knee, evidently not having made its point clearly enough, began to ache like an utter bastard with every turn of the pedals, regardless of force.  I experimented with pushing, then gave up and pedalled one-footed for a while.  An uphill gradient that the Dutch would scoff at was agony.  At some point the rain went from 'downpour' to 'pissy', but I wasn't really paying attention.

I eventually arrived at Mildenhall, pitched my tent while the rain subsided, showered and administered lots of really good painkillers, and spent a fun weekend hobbling around the site with many of you lot.  The ankle was okay to ride on properly after a couple of weeks, but took months to be quite right for walking.  And I managed to patch the holes in the pannier, as documented in The Knowledge.

Beware of the flatlands.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 16 November, 2011, 11:01:03 pm »
Has to be my Upper Thames, reported elsewhere. Ouch, and more ouch.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 17 November, 2011, 03:20:47 pm »
Short ride to local nature reserve.  Took the steps down.   Went over bars.   2 cracked ribs.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #9 on: 17 November, 2011, 07:32:33 pm »
Cheam & Morden Hilly 50.

By no means any reflection on the stoker, or the company/assistance, but I bit off more than I could chew, AND was relying on the "what could possibly go wrong" effect of carting an ATBtandem from the Midlands.

Huge lack-of-preparedness in relation to food, water, navigation and optical illusions.

We got round in the end.  I'm eternally grateful to Mr & Mrs Pike for going at half their normal speed to stay with Kim and me.  And to Kim for staying the course.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2011, 07:36:26 pm »
...On the plus side, we did at least have plenty of locks.   ;D

A true Silly Bike Adventure, though, and I'm still planning to do next year's on the Streetmachine with the hope of shaving an hour off my previous time.

« Reply #11 on: 17 November, 2011, 07:37:04 pm »
pulling up outside a cafe on an early spring ride (at wicken fen, for those with six toes). 

Turned parallel to the decking, remembered that it was stupid but *just* too late to stop before my front wheel went through a gap, I fell off and pringled it beautifully.  I had a 2 hour wait for someone to come and rescue me, and cups of tea were about 4 quid each.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 17 November, 2011, 08:20:18 pm »
   Herman Ramsey's 'Asparagus and Strawberries' 400km - my only shot at the distance for PBP qualification, but I had the horrid lurgy, so had to ride. Its a lovely route, a tour of some of the best bits of East Anglia: endless lovely old villages and churches, the Broads, North Norfolk coast at Wells, the cult Red Lodge cafe [an acquired taste, I know], no fenland, thank goodness! Oh, and a ferry ride, if the clanky old Reedham contraption counts.
   I had a sore throat and felt very sluggish, my gullet got so swollen that I couldn't drink from my bidon without choking; honestly, I was glad I was only trying to get water down as it kept dribbling out of my nose, lovely. I could sip normally by removing the top, and tried to do this as much as possible at every stop, but by Wells I was extremely dehydrated. By being so slow, I missed the chippy, which shuts at 9pm, so headed for the Indian Restaurant near the quay, spending far too long there, but downing about 3 litres of water. I was being looked after by Deniece and Brian [notp] at this point, for which I was truly grateful. En- route to Red Lodge, Deniece had a gear cable snap and in the dark none of us could work out how to replace it [being campag ergothingies, too much for Brian and me with our Luddite CC 7sp downtube levers]. D continued with one very high gear, which we bodged into a more moderate two-speed at Red Lodge. At the cafe they had run out of rhubarb crumble, shock!! But heartened to find plenty of riders still there, including Arabella.
   Leaving RL in daylight I was even slower....Deniece later took off on a different and she thought possibly quicker route, Brian  and I sticking to the lanier bit after Saffron Walden, but he had a plan....a second breakfast at a cafe in Sible Hedingham! This seemed to perk me up and I finished at Dedham in reasonably good spirits, shortly after Arabella, with Deniece coming in minutes later! Though I never felt I should pack, it was a worry to be thinking about the time limit, but in the end I had well over an hour in hand. 
   Though there was some rain in the form of thundery showers on the early stages, I was glad the bad weather didn't coincide with 1] darkness and 2] my lowest point, energy-wise. In the past, when I've packed, [only four times in 12+ years - 2x600s, 1x400 and a 150] its been through illness [silly sod - should have stayed in bed] compounded by poor weather, darkness or its imminent onset,  the bonk and minor mechanicals. I took about another week to shake off the bug and the same again for normal service to be resumed. PBP was easy by comparison!

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #13 on: 17 November, 2011, 08:47:51 pm »
Got to be the Edinburgh - Preston - Edinburgh 600km.  Now it wasn't because of the route, which was less dull than I'd expected, or the organisation which was top notch.  No, the problem was the cold, windy, grey, wet and cold weather.  The group of riders barely shared a word for the first 150km, which was an omen for the rest of the ride.  It was a down and back route which had a headwind in both directions.  We decided to not bother sleeping.  It's a special type of ride when finding a disabled toilet in Shap at 3am with a working hand drier was one of the highlights of the ride:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 17 November, 2011, 08:55:41 pm »

Ah, now, if I knew we were discussing rides in lifts, I'd have chosen differently!
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #15 on: 17 November, 2011, 09:20:29 pm »
Took the wrong road out of Wantage
I'd say any road out of Wantage is the right road.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #16 on: 17 November, 2011, 09:22:50 pm »
Among others:
Wye Wednesday 200k. Good route, super organisation, well thought out day. No fault of the organisers that it rained stairrods all day and when it stopped raining it got dark and we had to really really concentrate in the tiny lanes with lots of turnings. The torrential rain and headwinds across Romney Marsh were a real bonus :demon:
And it was no fault of El Supremo that I entered a few of his 100k winter events and it was below freezing and my feet were frozen for days and days. I bought some heated innersoles but they made no difference. The ice covering the road on the top of Beachy Head are a memory I shall carry for a long time. El of course was frozen waiting for us but I suppose he had the oven to keep him warm......

Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #17 on: 17 November, 2011, 09:27:57 pm »
It's a special type of ride when finding a disabled toilet in Shap at 3am with a working hand drier was one of the highlights
Ah! The glamour of audax!
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #18 on: 17 November, 2011, 09:33:50 pm »
Hmm... Tough one, I enjoyed every ride I did, however given the choice... Probably the FNRttC from York to Hull. I got on a train for Doncaster and foolishly decided to put my Dahon in the guard carriage - using by bicycle reservation. The chap who let me in told the guard that I had to get off at Doncaster. Annoyingly without my knowledge there was a guard exchange at Doncaster, and the 'old' guard didn't tell the 'new' one. A frantic run through the train trying to find the guard left me at the front of the train with a guard and no bike! Frantic waving down the platform didn't have much success (the guard thought I was waving at someone on the train he said later...  :facepalm:), so I ended up carrying on on the train which terminated at Leeds. No further trains to York available, so I ended up doing half a FNRttC, with the other half being occupied by a frantic dash to Goole to meet up with the rest of the group. I made it to the minute, having done about 25kph for 3 hours on a 7speed Dahon...

Not necessarily that the ride was bad - the scenery was lovely and contained 3 power stations - but the stress of it all probably makes it the worst of the year.

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #19 on: 17 November, 2011, 09:35:57 pm »
Took the wrong road out of Wantage
I'd say any road out of Wantage is the right road.
Apart from the one going to Didcot.

« Reply #20 on: 17 November, 2011, 09:53:15 pm »
Got to be the Edinburgh - Preston - Edinburgh 600km.  Now it wasn't because of the route, which was less dull than I'd expected, or the organisation which was top notch.  No, the problem was the cold, windy, grey, wet and cold weather.  The group of riders barely shared a word for the first 150km, which was an omen for the rest of the ride.  It was a down and back route which had a headwind in both directions.  We decided to not bother sleeping.  It's a special type of ride when finding a disabled toilet in Shap at 3am with a working hand drier was one of the highlights of the ride:

I quite liked that ride, mainly because I didn't do it at the same time as everyone else. I did it a while before, as I was helping out. I spotted that they'd coned off one of the lanes going up to Shap Summit, so I was able to capture the true horror.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ehpNc5X88
The lads being rained on include Bob Johnson of the VC167, Philip Kelman, winner of the Mersey Roads 24 and a bloke from Liverpool whose name I don't know. I remember speaking to him at the supermarket in Sizun on PBP, although at the time I completely forgot that I'd filmed him on Shap and fed him round our house. The footage on Shap was the best capture of rain I've ever done, as it was filmed from the back of the car with the tailgate up on two cameras.

« Reply #21 on: 17 November, 2011, 10:11:43 pm »
The ride to the Mildenhall Rally:

Beware of the flatlands.

There are better routes. The forty foot road and the A142 are pretty unfriendly- give me a call if you intend doing it again.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #22 on: 18 November, 2011, 04:40:06 pm »
I don’t know if this qualifies but it was a bad day on an otherwise great cycle camping tour. Soon after leaving Laredo in Northern Spain on the climb out of the town it started to rain heavily. This section of coast is particularly tough but with a gusting wind mostly against and the rain it was leg sapping. With a lack of signage we managed to take the wrong option at a Y junction and descended a mile into a dead end village, having then to climb out. Many tough climbs later as we got near Bilbao the only shelter we could find to have lunch was at the end of a supermarket car park.

Eventually we found the Transporter Bridge to cross the river, then tried to find the cycle route to Sopelana with a now soggy map. Again lack of signage caused us to take a couple of wrong options at junctions. At this point we were totally fed up and just wanted somewhere to stay the night. Our good Samaritan came in the form of a very fast runner who guided us to the correct cycle path which would lead us to a campsite.

Only having done 43 miles soaking wet we got to the not very good campsite, with the final downer being a 26 euro charge for the pitch.

The day I pulled a thigh muscle when climbing Beadlach na Baa written about elsewhere on this forum, qualifies as my second worst day ride.

Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #23 on: 20 November, 2011, 05:45:01 pm »
None. They've all been great.
Honest.

No really. Even the (f**king) Moors & Wolds.

« Reply #24 on: 20 November, 2011, 05:50:46 pm »
None. They've all been great.
Honest.

No really. Even the (f**king) Moors & Wolds.

What about the fucking M*sstrooper?

I can only nominate the Lanchester 400. I needed it to qualify for PBP, I'd had about eight hours' sleep in the previous week and I had a tooth abscess which I was barely containing with ibuprofen and paracetamol. Oh, and it's bastard hilly and it rained. It was a tricky balance to make sure I rode quickly enough to get round in time, but not so quickly that I made myself more ill. I don't think I enjoyed much of it.