Author Topic: Use for tofu-like Fermented Soy-bean Curd  (Read 993 times)

Euan Uzami

Use for tofu-like Fermented Soy-bean Curd
« on: 21 November, 2011, 10:43:22 am »
We have got some laoganma soy bean chilli ... stuff, which has got sort of "croutons" in it, which are crunchy cubes of what I actually suspect are soy bean curd. It's fairly addictive.

But then from the same shop I out of curiosity bought some 'fermented soy bean curd' which is like blocks in oil. I thought they'd be hard but they actually turned out to have the consistency of tofu. I got my brother to taste it but he wasn't impressed. I'm undecided - it's ok, but I wouldn't want to eat a whole load of it at once.
What is it meant to be used for, though? Anyone got any recipes involving it?

border-rider

Re: Use for tofu-like Fermented Soy-bean Curd
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2011, 10:49:18 am »
Try this as a starting place, maybe

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/403303

« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2011, 12:48:14 pm »
I thought "fermented Soya bean curd" WAS tofu. Use a a carrier for sauces - often deep fried first, then used in a stir fry - but you know this...
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2011, 12:51:34 pm »
Landfill?

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2011, 12:56:24 pm »
I thought "fermented Soya bean curd" WAS tofu. Use a a carrier for sauces - often deep fried first, then used in a stir fry - but you know this...

I don't think tofu is fermented; it's just coagulated & pressed from the soya milk

Euan Uzami

« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2011, 01:13:23 pm »
After having had a salad with some of it mixed in I've come to the conclusion that it's a bit rank, actually.

But the soy bean chilli.... stuff, with croutons in, is really addictive, I have it on everything. It's meant for frying stir-fry vegetables in (great for mange-touts ,  mini-corn on the cobs, and the like) but I use it as a condiment, as well. Has  anyone else ever had it?

Tim

« Reply #6 on: 21 November, 2011, 01:21:00 pm »
Miso soup (paste available from all reputable retailers of oriental culinary inputs), have your soy bean curd in processed soybean soup. Tastes fine, but you may want to add something with texture to it, say mushrooms or prawns or something, anything, in fact.

« Reply #7 on: 21 November, 2011, 01:24:01 pm »
"Fermented soya bean curd" is tofu (doufu) that's been processed, it turns into a soft paste, although it stays in cubes in the jar, they are really soft. It's used for flavouring, it's too salty to eat on its own.

That's just...deep fried soya bean curd.