Author Topic: Wear your skirt with pride  (Read 3539 times)

Re: Wear your skirt with pride
« Reply #25 on: 25 November, 2011, 12:34:32 am »
I have the Gore Path skirt, and it is an excellent garment. Of course it has a pair of cycling shorts built in so no risk of accidentally giving someone an eyeful of something they really don't want to see!

« Reply #26 on: 30 November, 2011, 01:22:08 pm »
My outfit included a tweed skirt today. It rode up a bit but I was wearing dark tights so no one saw much.

« Reply #27 on: 30 November, 2011, 01:50:28 pm »
In England, a kilt is a girl's garment anyway
NO it's not  >:(
Kilt -  man's wear
Tartan Skirt – female
lets get it right

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #28 on: 30 November, 2011, 08:37:26 pm »
Not convinced, sorry.

Kilting is just to do with tucking up, and (afaik) the original 'kilts' were kilted lengths (?) of tartan plaid.
Plaid is a celtic word (related to pelt, and meaning blanket) whereas kilt is scandinavian in origin (and related to child, as in swaddled).

It's more likly that a kilt is the wrap round version and a tartan skirt is a skirt that happens to be tartan.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 01 December, 2011, 01:06:18 am »
AFAIR the item that formed part of my sister's school uniform was a wraparound length of tartan, with pleats, wider at the bottom and narrower at the waist, fastened with some kind of fancy pin. Whatever you want to call it, the school, in England, called it a kilt, and a boy wearing it would have looked mighty silly (or if you prefer, would have been looked on as mighty silly).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30 on: 01 December, 2011, 01:06:52 am »
I think you'd be able to ride a bike in it though.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #31 on: 01 December, 2011, 02:28:50 pm »
The one modelled by Colin at the AGM had the pleats sewn in to about hip level.  imo this is much more flattering than the school uniform version where the pleats are only sewn in at the waist.  If it's a skirt and not a kilt I also prefer soft pleats.  but a kilt looks wrong if they arent ironed in.
My PE kilt had the pleats sewn in and also ironed in the rest of the way down.  It didn't stop my (nice long) shirt sticking out from underneath it though.  if I was wearing it (was supposed to chagne shirt) then the tie also dangled a bit further again, on its own ...
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #32 on: 01 December, 2011, 02:51:26 pm »
The one modelled by Colin at the AGM had the pleats sewn in to about hip level.  imo this is much more flattering than the school uniform version where the pleats are only sewn in at the waist.  If it's a skirt and not a kilt I also prefer soft pleats.  but a kilt looks wrong if they arent ironed in.
My PE kilt had the pleats sewn in and also ironed in the rest of the way down.  It didn't stop my (nice long) shirt sticking out from underneath it though.  if I was wearing it (was supposed to chagne shirt) then the tie also dangled a bit further again, on its own ...

Most of my kilts have the pleats sewn in all the way down.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #33 on: 01 December, 2011, 09:37:31 pm »
So your shirt stuck out below your kilt and your tie dangled down below the shirt. That must have looked really funny!