Author Topic: Shared Space proposals @ St Michaels Hill/Highbury Villas, Bristol  (Read 836 times)

Came across this traffic proposal just now, seems to make a refreshing change from being car centric, using the concept of shared spaces pioneered in the Netherlands(?) Bit of context: The area is kind of behind the main site of the University, and is also close to teaching hospitals, for example St Michael's Hospital further down the hill from the site of the proposals. Its a locality of shops, pubs and is one of the historic areas of Bristol, lots Georgian and early Victorian architecture. Its basically on top of St Michael's Hill and kinds of leads to a plateau of which the other side is the Clifton Down shopping area. Locals and students coexisting, along with NHS/University types.

Here's a Daily Heil owned local rag link:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Cars-pedestrians-share-busy-junction/story-14018730-detail/story.html

The architect's website outlining the proposals:

http://www.hamilton-baillie.co.uk/index.php?do=projects&sub=details&pid=133

and one more link, from a local Blogger, giving his customary wry comment:

http://bristolcars.blogspot.com/2011/09/joy-that-is-shared-spaces.html

I for one think the scheme, if it goes ahead, would work very well indeed in that locality and basically make the space so much more civilised. It is not something that could be replicated in every shopping locality in Bristol, but this one, yes, gut instinct says yes it could work, and work very well. Doubt it is likely to turn out to be anything like the (in)famous Southend promenade farce.

I wonder if there are any pros and cons people may make about 'shared space' and this particular proposed implementation?

Frere

Re: Shared Space proposals @ St Michaels Hill/Highbury Villas, Bristol
« Reply #1 on: 02 December, 2011, 02:31:11 pm »
best option is to ban all through motor traffic, next best make it one way only for motor traffic and two for cycling in the freed up motor lane and now unused parking spaces

so called shared space is just very expensive and unpleasant except on non through trafficked residential streets where the dutch actually use it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Shared Space proposals @ St Michaels Hill/Highbury Villas, Bristol
« Reply #2 on: 02 December, 2011, 02:58:59 pm »
So the Evening Post is owned by the Wail? I didn't know that, but I'm not terribly surprised either.

I live right on the edge of the Kingsdown Conservation Area, so I've seen these proposals and mock-ups on the notice boards put up by the residents' association. It looks good, but a lot will depend on how it gets treated in practice. Of course, they also show these projected pics of summer, never of winter... It might work best if traffic is directed down Tyndalls Park Road at the top end and, perhaps less easily, past the university libraries at the bottom end. There should be both some physical deterrent - not just a change in road surface - and active measures to encourage more non-vehicular use of the road. This could include persuading/allowing the pubs and cafes to set out benches on what is now the carriageway (but who will want to sit there in winter?), maybe market stalls, some other ideas... I'm also wondering about what could be done to improve the High Kingsdown estate, whose alleyways seem a bit creepy at night.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.