Author Topic: ..you have nothing to lose but your chains..  (Read 10262 times)

Re: ..you have nothing to lose but your chains..
« Reply #25 on: 13 February, 2012, 07:59:19 am »
Undeniably this is a fairly new development in the direction of bicycle design and such things raise doubts that can only be resolved over time. 

My bike is a utility machine and the attraction of belt drive was the promise of low maintenance allied to good mechanical performance.  It's adoption on racing bikes and the like seems unlikely whilst derailleur systems remain unchallenged in that area.

The prospect of vandalism also seems unlikely since those evilly inclined would already be going round slashing tyres would they not?  And again, another problem easily solved by a full chainguard (and no not Securicor)!

Move Faster and Bake Things

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #26 on: 13 February, 2012, 08:06:12 am »
Belt drive and hub gears seems like a happy marriage.  No chain oil, no stretch.  Seems good.
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #27 on: 13 February, 2012, 08:13:31 am »
And again, another problem easily solved by a full chainguard (and no not Securicor)!

Chain & full chainguard seems a better solution to me than a belt for a utility bike.  At the moment, anyway.

Euan Uzami

Re: Re: ..you have nothing to lose but your chains..
« Reply #28 on: 13 February, 2012, 11:01:22 am »
Belt drive and hub gears seems like a happy marriage.  No chain oil, no stretch.  Seems good.

What's the belt made of that doesn't stretch?

« Reply #29 on: 13 February, 2012, 11:14:13 am »
Apparently it has internal carbon fibres.  These allegedly:

offer, for the first time, the necessary tensile strength and high modulus to provide the smooth, clean, and long lasting ride advantage of a “belt” driven system in a bicycle application.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 13 February, 2012, 04:52:38 pm »
Chaincases make it a bit difficult to change the rear wheel. If you're riding your utility bike home from a party at 2am you want to be able to fix a puncture easily. OTOH it seems that belts may not be that much easier. But it shouldn't be impossible - just radically new - to design a hub gear with external sprocket that stays fixed to a 'hub' outboard of the dropout, while the rest of the axle bolts in and out. Or something like that.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

border-rider

« Reply #31 on: 13 February, 2012, 04:55:16 pm »
Marathon Plusses.

I have a chaincase and a coaster brake on the Pubpino; it's a major PITA to get the wheel off. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 13 February, 2012, 04:58:47 pm »
Marathon + were actually in my mind! A belt drive, hub gears, comfy saddle and lots of luggage capacity with M+ would be utiliticious! I'm not sure about disc brakes - in a way you need better braking around town traffic than out of, and you need it in all weathers, but I'm not sure how discs affect wheel changing. And of course they cost a bit.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

John Henry

« Reply #33 on: 13 February, 2012, 05:03:41 pm »
What's the advantage over a chain?
Weight? A chain doesn't weigh that much.

(lack of) maintenance and noise

And no oil to make marks on your best beige C&A slacks.

« Reply #34 on: 13 February, 2012, 06:37:06 pm »
If you're riding your utility bike home from a party at 2am you want to be able to fix a puncture easily. OTOH it seems that belts may not be that much easier.

It's the drum/roller brake and hub gear that make punctures a faff.  Both cables have to be disconnected to remove the rear wheel.  The belt makes no difference.  You don't need to split the frame any more than you need to break the chain to remove the wheel on a derailleur bike.

I have the 2010 belt drive Trek Soho linked above.  I like it a lot.  Only negatives are that it is aluminium and my other bikes are comfy steel, and that the 55/24 ratio Trek have used  gives 33" to 100" gears. (http://www.gear-calculator.com/#KB=55&RZ=24&GR=SNI8&TF=90&UF=2155&SL=2.5)  For a town/utility bike, 50/24 or 46/24 would be more sensible options, but changing is much more expensive, and more limited due to limited availability of pulleys and belt sizes.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #35 on: 13 February, 2012, 06:51:49 pm »
I have a 2010 Trek too.  I bought a new sprocket (26 teeth replacing the as-bought 24 teeth) from Phil Wood in USAnia, via HubJub here in UK.  This has lowered the gearing, and has reduced the complaints from my grumbling knee to an ignorable minimum.

No noise, no muck, no maintenance.  I've a spare belt hanging up in the garage ready to fit if this one ever snaps.

Toothed Belts don't stretch, or, if properly adjusted, slip; otherwise your car's valves would get booted out through the top of the engine by the pistons hitting them.  Timing belts replaced timing chains in Internal Combustion Engines years ago.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #36 on: 13 February, 2012, 08:08:21 pm »
Timing belts replaced timing chains in Internal Combustion Engines years ago.

really?

« Reply #37 on: 13 February, 2012, 08:33:23 pm »
What's the advantage over a chain?
Weight? A chain doesn't weigh that much.

As a look at Santos' site shows, a belt properly fitted is pretty much maintenance free for n000kms and can just be washed off with a hosepipe if you ride in mud or slush. Modern belts are also very oil resistant (some Honda mower and brushcutter motors use the belt passage as a return for the oil to the sump!). I would have doubts about salt resistance though - I don't know anything about that. For dirty conditions a belt is a lot less demanding on maintenance than a chain.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #38 on: 13 February, 2012, 08:44:55 pm »

really?
Err, yes.  Wikipedia here says:
Timing belts replaced the older style timing chains that were common until the 1970s and 1980s (although in the last decade there has been reemergence of chain use for many carmakers).
OK, it's *only* Wikipedia, but I'm reasonably confident that there's nowt to be gained for it to be wrong here.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 13 February, 2012, 11:29:34 pm »
I'm not sure about disc brakes - in a way you need better braking around town traffic than out of, and you need it in all weathers, but I'm not sure how discs affect wheel changing.

They make it simpler: The wheel just drops straight out, without having to release the brakes first.  Getting it back in can require a bit of a knack, as you have to line the disc up between the pads at the same time as the axle in the dropouts, but it's reasonably straightforward once you get the hang of it.

« Reply #40 on: 14 February, 2012, 04:14:29 am »

really?
Yes, absolutely true.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Euan Uzami

« Reply #41 on: 14 February, 2012, 09:12:47 am »

complete bollocks. The last two cars
I've had have got chains, and no they're not that old.
The only difference is that the chain doesn't need replacing every 60k miles.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #42 on: 14 February, 2012, 09:17:47 am »
To be honest it sounds a nice idea but I'd be a bit suspicious of it slipping, plus if it breaks in the wilderness you're stuffed, whereas with a chain you can use a spare link.

AndyK

« Reply #43 on: 14 February, 2012, 09:20:13 am »

I worked in Ford Dagenham for twenty years. Cars have had timing belts for at least 25 years.

Euan Uzami

Re: Re: Re: ..you have nothing to lose but your chains..
« Reply #44 on: 14 February, 2012, 09:29:36 am »

I worked in Ford Dagenham for twenty years. Cars have had timing belts for at least 25 years.

Some may have, fords for example.
Certainly not all.
Mercs, bmw have chains, and ime apparently also my Toyota.
My cars definitely got a chain I'll tell you that for a fact.
In fact, the need for a costly operation at 60k miles on pain of the possibility of the engine exploding is imho a very good reason to opt for a car with a chain as opposed to a belt.

« Reply #45 on: 14 February, 2012, 09:33:15 am »

But chains went out of fashion on car transmissions years ago ;D
On motorbikes belt drive transmissions have been around for quite a few years (as well as shafts and there are probably a few mopeds with the motor driving direct).
FWIW I can remember a fair few bike engines with chains that didn't last any longer than a belt (and the best ones don't have either :) )
All getting a bit off the point from pushbike transmissions :hand:

« Reply #46 on: 14 February, 2012, 09:35:29 am »
quite, mzjo.

Belts are a well tried and understood transmission method.

Several of the round-world record holders used, them, I believe.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Euan Uzami

« Reply #47 on: 14 February, 2012, 09:41:35 am »
I would have thought on a pushbike it would introduce more friction (in the hub/bottom bracket bearings as well as the belt itself) due to the fact that it works on friction, so it has to be taut to operate?

Is the process of tensioning not made a lot more difficult than a chain, as well, due to the fact it has to be taut?

« Reply #48 on: 14 February, 2012, 09:45:52 am »
eh?

These are toothed belts.  Not v-belts like you have on your alternator.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Euan Uzami

« Reply #49 on: 14 February, 2012, 09:51:31 am »
hmm.. still think it sounds a bit fancy for the sake of being fancy.
Think a chain looks better anyway  :D