Author Topic: The Big Ride, London, 28/4/2012  (Read 12234 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: The Big Ride, London, 28/4/2012
« Reply #50 on: 28 April, 2012, 05:23:40 pm »
*penny drops*

Damn, you guys are all kinds of awesome.  Does Graham know Padbeat (of this 'ere parish) by any chance?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #51 on: 28 April, 2012, 05:30:00 pm »
Hmm - looking at Charlotte's photo, it's time for my yearly haircut I think...

Anyway - most appropriate choice of vehicle award goes to these guys:

021 by marcus_jb1973, on Flickr

016 by marcus_jb1973, on Flickr

Perfect for the weather!  I think they had to throw the lifebelt out a few times to rescue drowning cyclists.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #52 on: 28 April, 2012, 05:34:49 pm »
Does Graham know Padbeat (of this 'ere parish) by any chance?

don't think so, he doesn't use the forum that much. He might know him by his real name. I know he knows a few recumbent riders round Ealing/West London, as he often chats to them when he's riding his ICE trike.
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:01:25 pm »
I was indeed highly unimpressed with the amount of standing around at the start, and I think a helluva lot of other people were too. And that stop-start riding is quite difficult on a bike with a backpedal brake (you can't reset the pedals easily).

But it was brilliant to catch up with both familiar forummers and new ones and great to see so many thousands of people. I particularly loved the little lad really going for it on his pedal-less Isla-bike-alike that Charlotte got a photo of. It was a shame to lose Charlotte but I think everyone was fairly desperate to get themselves somewhere that they could get warm (and it seems some fab photos were gained). We had a rather lovely time at the pub afterwards, I had a whole baked Camembert, some very nice red wine, and about ten profiteroles...we had to bugger off at 3.30pm for the plumber. He is not here yet. Ahem.

As always, Charlotte, plz to be stealing your photo of moi?

Just to juxtapose this rather awful photo against C's brilliant ones, here we all are at t'pubbe (Clarion, Butterfly and Andrij didn't do the Big Ride, but we let them in anyway)

bigride by bartonlaura1, on Flickr

« Reply #54 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:12:34 pm »
That Clarion and That Butterfly have some staying power - I'm assuming they're pretty much kip-less since last night's FNRttC.

« Reply #55 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:17:36 pm »
They'd snoozed a little on the train, but nothing more. They're made of stronger stuff than I  :o

« Reply #56 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:23:28 pm »
So, at the risk of seeming rude...

Can anyone identify the orange YACF shirt wearer next to Andrij in your pic.

I know him from a previous ride.

Apologies are forthcoming  (orange YACF shirt wearer), but very much in a queue after the ones for a particular photo.....

« Reply #57 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:30:15 pm »
i am feeling better after being sick in the small hours  :'(. well done to all you damp cyclists. let hope the politicians listen now and improvements are quickly made.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #58 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:30:51 pm »
That is Parsley.

Sorry you were sick, cycleman, I noticed your absence.

« Reply #59 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:32:23 pm »
That is Parsley.

Thank you.

*'Stuff' clicks into place*  :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #60 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:39:43 pm »
Is that wowbagger on this pic lifted from ibikelondon's blog?

« Reply #61 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:42:58 pm »
Yep well spotted...and me on the right in a black trench coat, and Rob in a red jacket next to me.

« Reply #62 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:43:26 pm »
Yup!
And I'm pretty sure that's Charlotte in a white / cream cap top right.

Bike's clean again. BTW  ;D

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #63 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:53:47 pm »
I can spot one chap from the Greenwich feeder ride (Ian), the guy that snuggled up next to me on the floor at the Addison Lee protest and one other from the Lewisham parish  :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #64 on: 28 April, 2012, 07:01:07 pm »
Despite the foul weather, I'm really glad I made the effort to get to this ride.  I suppose the conditions could have been worse, but my initial reaction was that the event was going to be a poorly-attended damp squib. I couldn't be bothered with a feeder ride and took the train straight to Lpoo St and made my way to Hyde Park Corner and then found the Animals' War Memorial. There was no-one I knew there so I carefully ate the marmite sandwiches I had brought with me in anticipation that a few of us would have lunch somewhere. I also ordered a coffee and waited, unimpressed by the group of cyclists around the Speakers' Corner café that remained disappointingly small. YACFers arrived in dribs and drabs: MarcusJB and Teamonster, the latter on the front of the most amazing recumbent tandem. One lovely surprise was a text from Nutkin, who was to put in a appearance. Charlotte arrived en Brompton and I still can't get used to Jurek on a fixie with mudguards.

After loads of hanging around we set off and then, five minutes later, we stopped again so that the organisers could make speeches that perhaps the 200 people at the front could have heard. We were not far from the amplifiers and loudspeakers, but I could not make out anything intelligible. Anyone behind us, which must have been about 90% of the ride, would have ben able to hear nothing. Some of the more svelte forummers were beginning to feel the cold.

Eventually we made proper progress, but mostly it was a test of slow cycling and balancing for as long as possible before putting a foot down. Two Flat Erics and Domestique came and had a natter: the hardy pair had caught the train from Westcliff to Barking and come in on that feeder ride. Just as we were being led into Temple Station, the official ride finish, Notsototalnewbie had a better idea and we left the Embankment and returned towards Charing Cross because she had the facility to buy cheap food at a particular café so we went there to find it shut. Luckily my calorie radar was active and I've noticed an "All Bar One" a short way back in Villiers Street so five of us settled round a table there. Almost simultaneously a few of us noticed that we had missed calls from Charlotte, whom I had last seen pointing her big one at people. I hastily texted a reply but by that time she was on the tube heading for Julian, who was returning from a triumphal overnight ride to Hull.

Whereas initially there were five of us there (Nutkin, NSTN, Rob, Parsley and myself) we were joined by Butterfly and Clarion, fresh from their travails to Hull, and, later, Andrij, who had been purchasing exotic velocipedes from Mike. We had a good lunch (the minted lamb burger seemed to be a favourite) and the profiteroles went down well, washed as they were by Doom Bar, merlot and latte.

My one regret was that I hadn't taken with me the small gift I have for Nutkin. However, we have agreed that we need another ride some time in the not too distant future so that I can offer her some balls to suck whereas she's going to give me a good fudge. It'll be sweet, there's no doubt of that.

Nutkin, Rob, Jurek and Charlotte.

Teamonster's Greenspeed GTT. That's one hell of a tricycle!

Charlotte.

Domestique.

NSTN & Nutkin deep in conversation

This is who we were all riding for.

NSTN engulfs a profiterole. Half of Parsley is in the background.

Andrij's acquisition.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: 28 April, 2012, 07:51:38 pm »
As always, Charlotte, plz to be stealing your photo of moi?

But of course - it's in the mail to you.

« Reply #66 on: 28 April, 2012, 07:56:30 pm »
I reckon you could make some money selling photos of NSTN on her bike wearing a long, flowing dress.
It'd be like one of those very stylish 1920's cigarette cards. A work of art.

I wanna bike like that!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #67 on: 28 April, 2012, 08:03:05 pm »
I reckon you could make some money selling photos of NSTN on her bike wearing a long, flowing dress.

She'd look awesome, I agree.  I should do a YACF calendar shoot sometime  :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #68 on: 28 April, 2012, 08:06:13 pm »
How do you want me? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #69 on: 28 April, 2012, 08:07:37 pm »
I should do a YACF calendar shoot sometime  :D

You should.
Can't imagine it'd be anything other than a head-turner...

EDIT: Clarion. No.

« Reply #70 on: 28 April, 2012, 08:09:33 pm »
Yes wouldnt mind one of those there bikeys myself.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: 28 April, 2012, 08:14:14 pm »
How do you want me? ;D

Naked and covered in Hommous.  With maybe just a squeeze of lemon juice.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #72 on: 28 April, 2012, 08:15:02 pm »
Just careful where you squeeze it. :o
Getting there...

« Reply #73 on: 28 April, 2012, 08:19:52 pm »
I might have bought one of these calendars, but I think I've changed my mind all of a sudden.

« Reply #74 on: 28 April, 2012, 08:41:29 pm »
Thanks C!

Oooh you are too kind...I'd bloody love poncing about in 1920s gear to do a calendar, sounds like great fun.

It is just the most lovely, comfy, stately bike to ride. I ride everywhere since I got it because it's so compatible with 'normal' clothing. It's quite my favourite even though it is completely impractical on anything resembling a hill. And when I do ride one of my other bikes, I really miss the backpedal brake (which initially I was very suspicious of).