Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 179962 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2200 on: May 21, 2020, 05:11:51 pm »
Indeed, no injury problems for me (so far) but then I was coming back from a (5-a-side football induced) ankle injury (no running from Aug 1st to Dec 9th) and had been taking it slowly and steadily through the C25K plan and then a 10% max increase plan of my own.

Stuff is progressing nicely. Going from start of lockdown to now:-

5K: 31m45 down to 28m26
VDOT: 28.79 up to 32.87
5K beats per mile: 1645 down to 1482
Weight: 97kg to 92.10kg (today although that's mostly due to getting pissed last night and being dehydrated this morning)
Longest run: 5.01km up to 10.37km
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2201 on: May 21, 2020, 05:27:45 pm »
Running is more demanding on joints and ligaments, but I think also more protective in the long term. It gives a more all around conditioning - not that getting on a bike is easy if all you do is run. I picked up a slight Achilles tweak so have had a few days of stretching and a couple of bike rides, but if any of us have the patience to get fast slowly running is very sustainable.

Stay well everyone and remember, usually if you can’t run you can still ride a bike;)

« Reply #2202 on: May 21, 2020, 05:59:52 pm »
To be clear I don't think mine is a running injury.

I think it is a yoga injury that makes running painful.

« Reply #2203 on: May 21, 2020, 06:06:19 pm »
Just back from the ultrasound scan.  They found a relatively minor mid-thigh muscle tear which is on its way to healing.  No tendon/ligament damage visible.  Whew!  A bit more r&r and I should be good to go.  Patience  ::-) ;D

« Reply #2204 on: May 21, 2020, 06:53:11 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #2205 on: May 21, 2020, 10:00:08 pm »
Just back from an exploratory run 7 miles no pain, so relief.

« Reply #2206 on: May 22, 2020, 08:43:30 am »
Just back from the ultrasound scan.  They found a relatively minor mid-thigh muscle tear which is on its way to healing.  No tendon/ligament damage visible.  Whew!  A bit more r&r and I should be good to go.  Patience  ::-) ;D
Good news.  :thumbsup: Take it easy once you are able to do stuff...

« Reply #2207 on: May 23, 2020, 05:13:12 pm »
Really happy with run this morning. 10.5km and was making an effort to hold pace back and while it felt pretty easy I was sub 5 min/k which is normally my pace for 6 or 7km runs.

« Reply #2208 on: May 23, 2020, 05:27:43 pm »
Well I thought I'd have to repeat Week3 of C25K instead of starting Week4 this week. My knees were quite sore last week (probably down to a 90 mile weekend on the bike at the start of Week3) and the total running jumps from 9 minutes to 16.

I was just going to go ahead and repeat Week3 on Monday but decided to try session 1 and see how it went. And it went fine and day 2 went fine again on Wednesday. I even had enough juice to up the pace for the final minute of the last five minute segment. I mean it's just an increase from slow to not quite so slow but I'll take it.

Didn't run Friday as I was hungover and lazy but I popped out today around lunchtime. Apart from it being windy as a windy thing out there it went fine. A couple momentary twinges from the knees and my right Achilles tendon but nothing too bad or long lasting.

Took a good three minutes for my watch to pick up the GPS satellites but that was ok, a longer warmup walk won't hurt.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #2209 on: May 23, 2020, 06:20:51 pm »
I enjoyed sunrise over the local rec this morning as I did a recovery 6k.  Nothing like the pace many achieve in here but that is irrelevant to me.

I worry about knees and calf muscles but in reality I am not suffering at all which is fantastic and slowly but surely I am stretching my distance.  Lockdown has been very good for me.

Next week my long run stretches to 9k. 

« Reply #2210 on: May 23, 2020, 06:45:28 pm »
I enjoyed sunrise over the local rec this morning as I did a recovery 6k.  Nothing like the pace many achieve in here but that is irrelevant to me.

I worry about knees and calf muscles but in reality I am not suffering at all which is fantastic and slowly but surely I am stretching my distance.  Lockdown has been very good for me.

Next week my long run stretches to 9k.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2211 on: May 23, 2020, 06:48:28 pm »
Took the oldest out today to get her moving and we did 2.75 miles run/walk. She started out grumpy but got better as she moved - been the same since she was about 5!

Then 3 hours digging a trench at the allotment for the poly tunnel and now having a cup of tea. Might have a little spin on the mtb or a jog before a glass of wine. Mrs S got a really good mark in her latest assignment so reason to celebrate 🎉

« Reply #2212 on: May 23, 2020, 07:33:05 pm »
That's one busy day Mike.

I put my "lack of injury" down to the fact that these days I do a good 12-15 minutes of dynamic stretching then a brisk 12 minute warm up walk to the rec before I run.  Similarly I have a 12 minute cool down wak afterwards and sometimes manage some static stretching or a post workout 15 minutes of yoga.

I never used to bother with all the stretches and warm ups 30 years ago but these days the body complains a bit more.  🤔

« Reply #2213 on: Yesterday at 09:31:10 pm »
Couple of miles with Hannah tonight and then a steady 6 on my own. Lovely evening:)