Author Topic: Free Coffee & Cake  (Read 10115 times)

fuzzy

Re: Free Coffee & Cake
« Reply #25 on: 30 July, 2008, 05:19:51 pm »
IKEA cycle storeage- Collect your flat pack sheffield stand and free coffee/ cake voucher from the information desk.

« Reply #26 on: 21 August, 2008, 02:25:46 pm »
I only live about a mile from Ikea, this could keep me in cake and coffee for a long time. ;D

Hmmmmm I feel a trip to Ikea coming on

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #27 on: 21 August, 2008, 02:34:18 pm »
What cake is it?

So if I carry the bike in the car to IKEA park nearby then cycle to the store I'll miss the queues :thumbsup:

PS i'd never cycle to IKEA, I be terrified of damaging the pear cider cans.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #28 on: 22 August, 2008, 10:49:49 am »
I've had a somewhat garbled response from IKEA in Croydon (I'm wondering whether it was written by a four year old).

Apparently, they did have bike lockers but these were vandalised and were removed.  They seem to have overlooked the option of installing Sheffield stands or similar. 

It seems they're not particularly bothered that everyone drives to their store.

I feel a campaign coming on...  :demon:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #29 on: 22 August, 2008, 11:14:25 am »
I've had a somewhat garbled response from IKEA in Croydon (I'm wondering whether it was written by a four year old).

Apparently, they did have bike lockers but these were vandalised and were removed.  They seem to have overlooked the option of installing Sheffield stands or similar. 

Seriously how much flat pack furniture can you fit on a bike?  Ikea want you to spend money and then cart the stuff away.  The delivery service will only do certain items and even then only certain floors or what ever the workshy delivery drivers want to do. 

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #30 on: 22 August, 2008, 11:19:38 am »
Unbelieveable, a company does something to encourage people to visit it's stores by bike, and Lynx goes and pisses all over it.  You are most definately in the glass half full catagory aren't you?

I for one welcome what IKEA are doing (not that I will be cycling to the Leeds store, just a bit too far and a bit to scary to get to on the bike for me) and I hope more places do something similar.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #31 on: 22 August, 2008, 11:25:53 am »

Seriously how much flat pack furniture can you fit on a bike?  Ikea want you to spend money and then cart the stuff away.  The delivery service will only do certain items and even then only certain floors or what ever the workshy delivery drivers want to do. 

But apart from furniture, they sell tons of other stuff you could easily carry on a bike.
a great mind thinks alike

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #32 on: 22 August, 2008, 12:01:27 pm »
Unbelieveable, a company does something to encourage people to visit it's stores by bike, and Lynx goes and pisses all over it.  You are most definately in the glass half full catagory aren't you?

I for one welcome what IKEA are doing (not that I will be cycling to the Leeds store, just a bit too far and a bit to scary to get to on the bike for me) and I hope more places do something similar.

Half empty?

Just a quick wonder, how could those lockers get vandalised? they were right by where the guard was/is.  They were handy as you could leave your motorbike helmet in there.

I'm all for free cake, but not coconut cake. :sick:

« Reply #33 on: 22 August, 2008, 12:20:37 pm »
I haven't been in a while, but I am terrible for wandering round the warehouse bit with all the interesting little things thinking 'I need one of those, and those, and those...', all easily put in a pannier. It's actually been a few years since I last went, so I was thinking of cycling to the Croydon one, but I won't if there's nowhere to lock up.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #34 on: 22 August, 2008, 12:21:49 pm »
Sorry yes, my mind was saying half empty, but my fingers typed half full, having yet another blond day today.

I think they are probably talking about different lockers, some stores (and I believe Leeds is/was one of them) have/had trimtal style bike lockers, i.e. ones that you could put your whole bike in.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #35 on: 22 August, 2008, 01:42:37 pm »
I need to pop in their this weekend, I need a new bin for the Kitchen, and whilst Sainsburys will sell me one, their price is outrageous compared to Ikea.  I'll probably also do a NSTN and wander around saying... "I could use that, and that would be useful, oooh that's clever, I'll buy that...".  Anyway, I'll park my bike and trailer outside.  If nothing else I can use the trailer to lean the bike against, so worst case I don't need a stand.  If I have the chance I'll ask where bicycle stands/storage is, so I can join in with Regulator if it turns out that they have nothing, and have a good old winge, additionally with my "Local residents" hat on.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #36 on: 22 August, 2008, 01:54:12 pm »
Sorry yes, my mind was saying half empty, but my fingers typed half full, having yet another blond day today.

I think they are probably talking about different lockers, some stores (and I believe Leeds is/was one of them) have/had trimtal style bike lockers, i.e. ones that you could put your whole bike in.

Now they would be great lockers, but croyden had rectangular ones that I thought were for all bike gear.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #37 on: 22 August, 2008, 01:55:23 pm »
I need to pop in their this weekend, I need a new bin for the Kitchen, and whilst Sainsburys will sell me one, their price is outrageous compared to Ikea.  I'll probably also do a NSTN and wander around saying... "I could use that, and that would be useful, oooh that's clever, I'll buy that...".  Anyway, I'll park my bike and trailer outside.  If nothing else I can use the trailer to lean the bike against, so worst case I don't need a stand.  If I have the chance I'll ask where bicycle stands/storage is, so I can join in with Regulator if it turns out that they have nothing, and have a good old winge, additionally with my "Local residents" hat on.

God tonight as It'll be open till midnight...this weekend will be hell and especially with the bank hoilday coming up.

« Reply #38 on: 22 August, 2008, 03:36:20 pm »
Go tonight as It'll be open till midnight...this weekend will be hell and especially with the bank hoilday coming up.

Actually that's a good point, although traffic obviously won't effect me.  They are open to midnight, so I'll either do this evening, or early on the morrow.  This evening is possibly a more promising idea, since I may (if I'm lucky) find several "You weren't in, so we've buggered off with your parcel" cards when I get home, and need to cycle around South and South West London in search of various delivery companies.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #39 on: 27 August, 2008, 11:27:34 am »
Hey Ikea used to do hire of roof racks why not hire of panniers and or bike trailers.

I think that would work, what do you chaps think?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #40 on: 16 September, 2008, 09:09:16 am »
Hmm, my sister lives only a few miles from Bristol Ikea; she shall be caked!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #41 on: 16 September, 2008, 11:07:46 am »
Hey Ikea used to do hire of roof racks why not hire of panniers and or bike trailers.

I think that would work, what do you chaps think?

I'd be happy if the Croydon one had bike stands. :-\