Linked Events

• Hilly 400k DIY. Mid-Essex start / finish: 22 June, 2012 - 23 June, 2012

Author Topic: A quite windy and even hillier 400k DIY. Mid-Essex start/ finish. Wanna come?  (Read 8035 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: An even hillier 400k DIY. Mid-Essex start/ finish. Wanna come?
« Reply #25 on: 19 June, 2012, 02:43:43 pm »
Current forecast is for gusty headwind all the way to Brighton then we can put the sails up and coast home  ::-)

I believe the longest day is tomorrow or Thursday so on Friday night we should have pretty much the minimum amount of darkness   :thumbsup:
Yes, I was thinking of suggesting that we rechristen the ride 'the longest day 400' but thought that had other connotations  :demon:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #26 on: 20 June, 2012, 07:20:24 pm »
We're camping in Thetford Saturday night. Good luck chaps.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #27 on: 20 June, 2012, 08:47:40 pm »
My "I'm spending the night with Huggy and I don't care" t-shirt still hasn't turned up. Bugger. That's twice now.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #28 on: 20 June, 2012, 09:21:16 pm »
My "I'm spending the night with Huggy and I don't care" t-shirt still hasn't turned up. Bugger. That's twice now.
It must be in the same place as my 'I can't say no to Oscar's Dad' t-shirt  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #29 on: 20 June, 2012, 09:24:35 pm »
There's a business idea here. Just imagine how many "I meet men on the internet" cycling jerseys you could sell to yacfers of both sexes?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #30 on: 22 June, 2012, 07:42:31 am »
To the 'even hillier' in the title can we add 'quite windy' too?   :-\
And that's not just because OD has just eaten a curry  :-X

Oscar's dad

Sorted.  Sed quid temptare nocebit?  Sorry, let's not start the Latin thing again  ;D

The Boss is at work so bicycle preparation has been completed in the kitchen as the Bicycle Storage, Preparation and Fettling Resource currently looks like a tactical nuclear weapon has detonated ...

Shortly I will begin the process that involves eating everything that does run fast enough, the cats seemed to have disappeared.  But at the moment I am dealing with a work related problem resulting from a bunch of colleagues who can't read order forms and then tell the customer it's their fault and they will have to pay to have the problem fixed ... in 5 to 10 working days.  Much unhappiness   ::-)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
My Claud was all fettled and ready to go last evening with the exception of bidons (note to self: don't forget to put something in the bottle cages).
Hope you've left room for the flap jacks TCMH baked last night  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

My Claud was all fettled and ready to go last evening with the exception of bidons (note to self: don't forget to put something in the bottle cages).

Oh yes, plenty of room.  But surely you will be carrying it?  You know, just to make the whole experience that bit more challenging fun!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME

Oh yes, plenty of room.  But surely you will be carrying it?  You know, just to make the whole experience that bit more challenging fun!
Your Magic Bag TM seems to have twice the capacity of my seat post bag though  :P

Good luck and all goes well. I'll think about you tommorrow morning after a full night's comfortable sleep in my own bed.....

Oscar's dad

Good luck and all goes well. I'll think about you tommorrow morning after a full night's comfortable sleep in my own bed.....

Thanks  :P

Oscar's dad

The weather's looking a bit 5hit.  It's just poured down here.  I have suggested to Huggy we do a Donald Crowhurst without the insanity and suicide bit (poor bloke  :'(  )

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
The weather's looking a bit 5hit.  It's just poured down here.  I have suggested to Huggy we do a Donald Crowhurst without the insanity and suicide bit (poor bloke  :'(  )
The forecast was always for the sun to come out at 7pm in time for our departure, and for the wind to be blowing a gale, looks like the Met Office alchemists have got it about right, if not what we'd entirely like it to be!!

Oscar's dad

At Ryka's having breakfast. 236 hilly kilometres done including The Beacon. Box Hill's Zig Zag Rd next. Going ok but a bit behind schedule, should be ok though.

bloomers100

Well done. Nice tailwind to help you home. I may not be at the pub tonight now, I'll let you know.

Oscar's dad

I am pleased to report that, subject to validation, we did it!  More later.

bloomers100

Skillz

Hats off. Well done to you both.

Thought about you both on my ride home on Friday night in those blustery conditions.

Oscar's dad

Thought about you both on my ride home on Friday night in those blustery conditions.

Thanks.  Words and pictures to follow when I have some spare time.

But, more importantly, the 600 in September!  How is the route shaping up?  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Oscar's Dad and Huggy are pleased to announce that we have had this particularly silly and gratuitous 400k DIY by GPS ride validated by Martin  :thumbsup:
I'm sure we will each get round to writing up a ride report soon  ::-)

I am also proud to have acheived my original objective for this season of the AUK Randonneur 1000 award, having riden 100k, 200k, 300k & 400k events this year  :smug:

Oscar's dad

I am also proud to have acheived my original objective for this season of the AUK Randonneur 1000 award, having riden 100k, 200k, 300k & 400k events this year  :smug:

I think this ...  :smug: is well deserved  :thumbsup:

Thanks.  Words and pictures to follow when I have some spare time.

But, more importantly, the 600 in September!  How is the route shaping up?  ;D

Route is up and running. Starting at Witham then taking in South and North Witham, Witham on the Hill, Witham St Hughes, Witham in Hull, Witham Town in Boston and back to Witham. Have a meal stop provisionally arranged at friends near Lincoln at 240km.
Things to consider. Do we want to go through Cambridge? Depending on start time would be good for late night meal en route but might be a pain in the ar*e to navigate. Alternative is 24hr Tesco at Peterborough. Also need to consider sleep at some point. Travelodge possibilities at just over 300km coming out of Hull or Spalding at about 450km. Alternative is bivvying roadside whe we fall asleep. Route is so far (need to build in Boston - probably 5km detour) 601km!
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=393472
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=393476
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=395686

Just need to get fitness up now. Been cycling home twice a week with one being at least 100km for the last few weeks and have my own 300km daytime Dun Run this weekend and then 400km in 3 weeks.

Oscar's dad

Wow, nice work!  I think we'll be needing a new thread to do this justice!  Were you considering a Friday evening start?

Friday evening or (very early) Saturday morning. Advantage of Friday start would mean more rest on Sunday but two nights with none or little sleep. Saturday would mean only one night lost but less rest on Sunday.......one to ponder on I guess.