Author Topic: custom frame arrived not as specced, what would you do?  (Read 5555 times)

Arno

• Arno
Re: custom frame arrived not as specced, what would you do?
« Reply #25 on: 12 May, 2012, 05:23:02 pm »

Quote from: alexb
From my perspective, I think a bigger down tube might end up being a blessing in disguise. I doubt you'd be able to tell any difference in ride quality between two bikes otherwise identical, but for the downtube diameter.

Quote from: Bigsy
A stiffer down tube than expected could make acceleration more efficient without necessarily spoiling comfort, for all I know.

That's what my builder recons as well, that the BB will be stiffer, but the vertical compliance (i.e comfort?) should remain the same. But Its good to have non-financially motivated opinions from this forum too.

Also a little back of the envelope calculation seems to show a not very large difference of 38 grams in material weight for a titanium tube of 45mm diameter vs 40mm (length about 60cm and thickness 0.9mm).

I'll probably end up building the bike.... Will see if he offers me the option to return the frame after having build the bike should the ride prove not so great.

« Reply #26 on: 13 May, 2012, 11:07:28 pm »
I suspect I know who this is, & although I've not bought from him, I've spoken to him with a view to buying, & to people who've bought from him, & talked about him to one of his competitors, & everything has been favourable. That doesn't mean that he can't get something wrong, but it would incline me towards giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not sure what I'd do in your situation, except talk to him - which it seems you've now done. I think I might tell him I wanted to build the bike, but on the basis that I was doing so to try it out before deciding whether to accept it, & see what he said. If he said OK, if I was unhappy with the frame after building it up & trying it out he'd replace it, I'd be happy to go ahead. Apart from anything else, this would suggest to me that he thinks I'd probably like it once I tried it. If his attitude was that by building it up I'd devalue it & he'd be unwilling to take it back, I might ask for a replacement straight away.

I'd hope for the first response.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Jakob

« Reply #27 on: 13 May, 2012, 11:32:54 pm »
If it's not built to the spec you provided, then you should most certainly contact him and ask why and if you are not satisfied with the answer, ask for a new frame/refund. This is not about being nice. It's about you getting what is probably your dream bike (which is usually the case when custom ordering frames).

Jakob

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #28 on: 13 May, 2012, 11:56:39 pm »
And, despite what Biggsy says, he will not lose a bucket of money on this. If his business is at risk from one bad order, then, well, make your own mind up.
It is simpler than it looks.

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #29 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:50:34 pm »
He gave me the option to return it if am not happy after the frame has been build, but he recons the difference in ride comfort should be extremely subtle (much less significant in terms of comfort than say changing tyres).  So that's the end of the matter AFAIK.
Plus, I can now kid myself into thinking that one day the legs will be so powerful that they need such a stiff BB  ;D.
I'd hapilly order from him in the future, and am sure such things don't happen often.

A.