Author Topic: Wild camping  (Read 27593 times)

Re: Wild camping
« Reply #50 on: 07 June, 2012, 09:02:01 am »
Burn the toilet paper in situ.

Don't bury poop deep - you need it to be covered but still in the topsoil where microbes will break it down quickly. 3-4" deep is about right. Not near footpaths - go some distance away. Not near where people walk dogs - dogs will dig it up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #51 on: 07 June, 2012, 09:22:55 am »
The poo issue isn't one I'm too bothered about: I can just about force myself to wee behind a hedge these days if it's an urgent situation but my system will not engage with doing a poo without a toilet.  It's like psychological immodium.  I'm not planning to camp anywhere that's more than a few hours cycle from a pub anyway!

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #52 on: 07 June, 2012, 09:38:39 am »
To be honest, I reckon the numbers of people wild pooing and in the areas where it's generally done, produces minimal  environmental impact.  People I know who work in Scotland's wild areas seem to be far more concerned about the impact of agricultural and industrial practices (including mainstream mass tourism) on the area as well as managing the waste and power systems of local communities in a way that has the least environmental impact.  A few individuals here and there burying a dollop now and then is a mere drop in the ocean so to speak. 

« Reply #53 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:16:19 am »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #54 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:39:04 am »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shit-Woods-Edition-Environmentally-ebook/dp/B004OR1KWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339060494&sr=8-1

The definitive work on the subject......... :)

Not only am I amazed that this requires 138 pages to explain, but that apparently 2.5 million people have needed it explaining, and it's changed enough that they've had to write new editions, twice!

On the plus side, for the lightweight camper, it's available in a Kindle Edition.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wild camping
« Reply #55 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:38:49 am »
But the Kindle edition won't be printed on soft, absorbent paper with easy tear out pages......

:-)

« Reply #56 on: 07 June, 2012, 05:42:47 pm »

My last wild camp, at the side of the A861 looking towards Eigg.

My chosen toilet spot was reached by scrambling down a steep slope towards the shoreline......you'd be unlikely to go that way unless you were on a similar mission.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #57 on: 08 June, 2012, 05:54:42 pm »
It's probably reached Canada by now...
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #58 on: 08 June, 2012, 06:04:49 pm »
It's probably reached Canada by now...
The west coast gets Japanese fishing boats and other tsunami detritus.

The east coast gets andrewc's brown trout.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #59 on: 09 June, 2012, 03:31:14 pm »
I recently completed an 8 week tour from Faro, Portugal to Paris. In 8 weeks I had to dig a toilet 2 times. The rest of the tour I made use of cafes and petrol stations. In Spain, I really looked forward to my 1 euro cafe con leche toilet break :)
I had a trowel with me in case of emergencies, and I think that is ok... I wouldn't plan on shitting outside, I don't think it is necessary when other facilities are easily available.

« Reply #60 on: 09 June, 2012, 03:50:15 pm »
The poo issue isn't one I'm too bothered about: I can just about force myself to wee behind a hedge these days if it's an urgent situation but my system will not engage with doing a poo without a toilet.  It's like psychological immodium.  I'm not planning to camp anywhere that's more than a few hours cycle from a pub anyway!

£5 prize for the first person to sneak some Syrup of Figs into Julian's dessert on the next group ride then!  ;)

For years I went to a yoga camp in the Loire Valley every summer (it's where I met Helena's mother in fact) which took place in the grounds of a chateau inhabited only by an elderly lady and I think the site was only ever used for this event, a ground crew would turn up a fortnight in advance to cut back all the vegetation and prepare the site.  The event was always a challenge for newcomers with very early rising, only two meals a day  :o and intensive yoga and meditation of course.  The toilet facilities, which were basically a large pit with squatting holes within screened cubicles, were generally acknowledged to be pretty rudimentary, but this was yet another thorn in the flesh of a lot of the newbies.  Some people just couldn't hack it at all and if you went for a walk in the woods roundabouts you'd always see the odd "private shitting area" strewn with loo paper, and I even nearly caught someone in the act once.  I think it's the paper that's generally the problem - a lot of wilderness areas in the USA, which are popular but still very remote, are defaced by the existence of unofficial loo sites, eg the top of Mt Jefferson.  You can try to burn it though it never works very well, or just use grass, moss, snow is fine.  The squatting position is supposed to be far more anatomically correct though - wasn't there a sign from a university someone posted advising foreign students to do it the Western sedentary way instead of standing on the rim of the bowl?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #61 on: 17 June, 2012, 08:19:14 am »

The squatting position is supposed to be far more anatomically correct though - wasn't there a sign from a university someone posted advising foreign students to do it the Western sedentary way instead of standing on the rim of the bowl?

It is.  But it's easiest if you have a high fibre diet.  If you have the runs then you'll probably end up pebbledashing your legs.

As an aside, one of the books I took to Zaire with me (which unfortunately got left there) was my mother's copy of "Health and Hygiene in Sub-Saharan Africa".  Written in the 1950's (Mum went out to Nayasaland in 1961) it contained instructions for digging latrines.

The book is still in use by organisation like the UNHCR, having been reedited and reprinted numerous times.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #62 on: 17 June, 2012, 10:44:50 am »
Going through some photos earlier, I found one of my favourite wild camp, from 1991. I was walking solo in the French Pyrenneys. I had walked up from Prades to approx 2335m by the river Eyne, laid out a bivvi bag and sleeping bag and camped under the stars. I saw Caribou quite close up in the morning, then went on ridge walk which was over 10000ft and left me quite dehydrated! No toilets for quite a way, but I don't recall the need.

And here's a less optimal spot for wild camping near Mallaig, before taking the ferry to Skye.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #63 on: 18 June, 2012, 09:53:35 am »
So did you use velcro for securing your sleeping bag in the latter photo, or just ropes? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #64 on: 18 June, 2012, 10:15:48 pm »
 ;D It wasn't the best night's sleep I've had.

« Reply #65 on: 19 June, 2012, 08:43:05 am »
my wild camping system does not need pegs so anywhere where i think i will not be disturbed can be used. the secret being pitch at dusk and away by 6.00am .i will try to find a little hidden grassy patch but even ncn2 near topsham will do  :demon:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OrOVlGsuZfc/T9kCVibGzZI/AAAAAAAAAA0/j-WFaQVN6xM/s640/004.JPG

the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #66 on: 19 June, 2012, 11:06:28 pm »
To be honest, I reckon the numbers of people wild pooing and in the areas where it's generally done, produces minimal  environmental impact.  ...  A few individuals here and there burying a dollop now and then is a mere drop in the ocean so to speak.
The environmental impact of human excrement is usually* only negative because of the high concentrations that result from densely packed people. Shit in woods & fields is, in general, a Good Thing. It recycles nutrients. Without it, soil fertility declines. This is a Bad Thing most of the time.

The paper looks untidy, though, & can be very persistent in dry places. If buried with a turd it breaks down very quickly anywhere that isn't arid.

*There are some environments where local ecosystems are adapted to low fertility, & adding our faeces can change them in ways we consider undesirable, because we wish to preserve that low productivity ecosystem.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #67 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:16:53 am »
By way of update from the field, my buddy and I took off for a walk and wild camp on the South Downs this weekend.  Aside from the walking (brutal), weather (well, you must remember?) and the views (magnificent), the camping was excellent, and a real cinch.

We both had lightweight dark green tents, thermorest mats, 2-3 season bags, which with all the other bits and pieces took us to about 10kg each.  With a full 2 litres of water, we were up to 12kg, which is about as much as I’d (as a weedy cyclist) want to carry over any distance.

The camping was trivially easy, and we weren’t the only ones at it.  Aside from the people we couldn’t see, two guys were on top of Firle Beacon in a bright orange tent, which looked like it was well established at 6.30 when we passed.  Two camper vans (posh, new-ish) were all set up at the bottom of Bostal Hill, and judging by the general merriment and wine bottles levels, they weren’t going anywhere before dawn.  After seeing these set-ups, we felt much more relaxed, figuring that if a ranger was about he’d make an evening’s work of those two before getting to us.

We ducked off the SDW just before Alfriston and into a valley where we couldn’t see the path.  Finding the level at the bottom, we kicked sheep turds and thistles around for a bit, got pitched up and served dinner (pastie, jam sandwiches, Bacardi, jelly babies).  We retired when the stars came out.

We hadn’t seen anyone in the two hours between setting up camp and going to bed, so the chances of being disturbed in the night seemed very unlikely.  I was mostly anxious about snuffling nocturnal animals picking up on the smell of our breakfast.  Or attack by ants.  I had a fairly appalling night’s sleep, which I think was down to being a bit too hot and straining at every sound.

The morning was easy with a 5.30 start.  We used the stove to make coffee, which we were a bit nervous about, but it didn’t leave any singes or a mark.  The downside of being in a valley is that the sun hits later than at the top of a hill, so we had to pack up our tents wet.  I’d brought a 2mx3m tarp with me as an improvised footprint, which was a godsend when unfolded in providing a dry surface for folding and packing.

All told, it was bloody brilliant.  I think eating cold food was very sensible.  The hassle, damage, extra weight and worry about a fire/BBQ wouldn’t have been worth it.  Next time I think I’d think a bit more carefully about the packing up in the morning dew and maybe pick somewhere with a bit of early sun/wind.  Definitely doing it again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #68 on: 20 August, 2012, 03:49:38 pm »
My lovely stoker and I did a little wild camping at Little Baddow a couple of weeks ago.

That's a couple of hundred yards downstream of Paper Mill Lock. The canal towpath is well-used by dog walkers so I'd be disinclined to pitch until well after dark. We pitched soon after 1 a.m. when we'd alread been cycling for about 3 hours, and we were back on the road by 7 a.m.

The vegetation either side of the tent is the remnants of some recently felled trees. We didn't bother with the tent's footprint and I only used about half a dozen pegs to hold things together, the weather was so calm.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #69 on: 20 August, 2012, 09:12:57 pm »
What a fabulous photo.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #70 on: 20 August, 2012, 10:03:35 pm »
If you've got thistles etc on an otherwise perfect camping spot, just cut them out with a penknife.

« Reply #71 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:31:26 am »
Spent the weekend pottering round the South Coast from Margate to Eastbourne, wild camped one night, in the dunes by the beach near Camber, twas a lovely evening, no cooking, arrived at 7, left at 8.00 am, saw no-one and we were seen by no-one! Even with a windy night we were tucked up nice and out of the way. We did consider Dungenes but it was very windy down there so moved on. No cooking as travelling lite. Will definitely do it again, I suppose the reason it's outlawed is probably the mess that some people leave, well we left none, even cleared up some other people's. The sunrise was lovely...

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #72 on: 09 September, 2012, 05:45:35 am »
Fired by a quick sub-10 200 yesterday, I decided I'd get round to testing some new kit.

Take[1] one Lazy Geko, 2 by 6m of cord, a Trekmates Bivi, one TP Lite and wander off for a ride into the woods.  It felt a bit chill, so I chucked in a silk liner as well.

I always forget how high (>7ft) you have to tie these damn things, to stop yer bum scraping the ground, but you just find two supports (usually trees) the right distance apart, and a minute later yer swinging in the breeze.

Bit of a fag to get ready, as you need to climb into the liner/bag/bivi, and then shuffle across in a sack-race stylee, and plonk youself in the hammock.  Not sure that would be the best idea in a pissing-it-down storm, without a tarp overhead.

Once you're in, you're in; it's not an arrangement where you need to be up and down all night.

Some contortionist shuffling will get things arranged around you, and your weight will cause the hammock edges to close together.

The parachute silk is suprisingly good at stopping the breeze, and while the layers meant I wasn't roasty toasty, I wasn't having bits drop off either. If it got a bit chillier I'd consider taking a felt throw to act as underblanket/additional wrap. 

Peaceful 5 hours ZzZzZ...

Break camp in about 5 mins, and wander on home.

Ovaltine and back to bed - night night ;)

Startled: 1 wowbadger.

Edit: [1] 2Kg all up, and packs to 40 by 20 cm in drypack, w/o much squishing.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.