Author Topic: Rabbit post op...  (Read 550 times)

Rabbit post op...
« on: May 25, 2012, 05:39:25 pm »
Is it really necessary to keep a rabbit indoors post boy op?  Vet advice sheet says so; we've not done this with other two rabbits.  Wound closure with superglue - rather than stitches, but this prolly doesn't make any diffs.   ???  Going to be min of 13/14C tonight outside.
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
Re: Rabbit post op...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 06:01:21 pm »
Is it really necessary to keep a rabbit indoors post boy op?  Vet advice sheet says so; we've not done this with other two rabbits.  Wound closure with superglue - rather than stitches, but this prolly doesn't make any diffs.   ???  Going to be min of 13/14C tonight outside.

I thought the temperature was relevant for brass monkeys, not rabbits...
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 06:03:03 pm »

In the immediate recovery from anaesthetic period your bunny will be  more prone to heat stress (both hot and cold) so drafts and direct sun need to be avoided. The biggest risk at this time of year though is fly strike where blue bottles lay eggs on the wound resulting in DETH-by-maggots  :sick:
Personally at this time of year I would put my post-op rabbit in his hutch, but I would clean him out thoroughly every day, thoroughly check his bottom at least twice a day and put some fine netting (like tutu net or a fine voile fabric) over the wire mesh so flies cannot get in.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 06:13:49 pm »
Thanks.  I've had the 'on your head be it', so it looks like I'm destined to empty the shed out to retrieve the indoor hutch...  :-\
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.