Linked Events

• Derbyshire Pie Run VIII: 11 August, 2012

Author Topic: Derbyshire Pie Run VIII 11 August (VIII! Even Police Academy only did VII!)  (Read 14790 times)

This year I think I am going to go for one of each.

Silly not too. You just dont know when you wont be able to again!
O'LEL what have I done!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
This year I think I am going to go for one of each.

Silly not too. You just dont know when you wont be able to again!

One of each pie?

I'm going to film that.

Be good to see you again, BB.

Pie and pints? I'm in!  :)

You've just passed the interview  :thumbsup:

Altitude gain? Zero - we start and finish at the same place.

???

you know what I mean you  :demon:

Oh, I see.  O:-)

Hang on...
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Paul

Altitude gain? Zero - we start and finish at the same place.

???

you know what I mean you  :demon:

This was last year's. The route might change a bit, but the upping/downing will stay much the same.

jogler

• mojo operandi
thankyou :thumbsup:

Does anyone know of a campsite near the start point?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Paul

This is the nearest I've found on a web search - about 5 miles from the start.

What's the plan, AWL?

Thanks Paul. That's striking distance. I may stay over on the Saturday as I may make the most of the culinary delights on offer and swill it all down with too much beer to reliably make it back to Warwick!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Paul

That's good forward thinking.

You could rough it with us, or (if you prefer the peace and quiet of a campsite), you'd be welcome to stash your kit with us to save you leaving it somewhere or carting it around.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Thanks Paul. That's striking distance. I may stay over on the Saturday as I may make the most of the culinary delights on offer and swill it all down with too much beer to reliably make it back to Warwick!

Hmmmm. :-\
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Paul

That sounds like a possible 'count me in'...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Just a Hmmm, M'aam.  Just a Hmmm.
 ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Paul

Still, I'd best warn the landlord.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
I'm tempted again this year. Someone remind me what the hills are like so I can practice going up one before the ride to see if my knee would hold up. Also tempted to camp if I do come.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Paul

Last year's route - as I say upstream, while the route might vary a little, it'll still be about 40 miles, and we still have to get over the same hills, so the upping/downing will be much the same.

Sam, if you're worried about your knee, apart from the last 3 miles to and from the pub*, there are flattish/shorter bailouts for most of the route, if need be.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Yebbut I don't want the route changed on my behalf. And besides, hills leading to a pub don't count.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Count me in for the first half or so.  As I live less than 5 miles as the TomTom flies from the Holly Bush, I'm happy (as in previous years and similar Lon Geaton starting events) to lead a feeder ride from Derby station, but, as quid pro quo, will peel off into Derby on the way back.
This is a public service announcement for those for whom Lon Geaton is a change-of-trains too far.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Count me in for the first half or so.  As I live less than 5 miles as the TomTom flies from the Holly Bush, I'm happy (as in previous years and similar Lon Geaton starting events) to lead a feeder ride from Derby station, but, as quid pro quo, will peel off into Derby on the way back.
This is a public service announcement for those for whom Lon Geaton is a change-of-trains too far.
Forgive my ignorance, but how much would that cut off the overall route?

I was contemplating camping, but as there are direct trains to Leamington, this might be an option.

jogler

• mojo operandi
Rower,
How far is it from Derby to LE & how long to cycle 'twixt the two stations.
I might use the train :-\

AWL mentioned this to me last Friday.   Somehow it is gnawing through my sensibilities.   

Camping...    :-\

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Rower,
How far is it from Derby to LE & how long to cycle 'twixt the two stations.
I might use the train :-\
Approx 9 miles.  Including faffage, meeting-up, contingency and general padding (you can tell I work with Railway timetables  :-\), an hour ought to be about right.

Forgive my ignorance, but how much would that cut off the overall route?

Nothing.  It just means you do the 9-mile feeder at the start of the ride, rather than at the end.  The most cyclist-friendly (avoiding busy roads, traffic, contours) route from the Holly Bush at Makeney to Long Eaton station goes within a gnat's crotchet of Derby station.  I'd be happy to do that bit twice if need be - i.e. do the feeder ride from Derby to Long Eaton, then do the ride, drop some participants off at Derby station, then continue on through to Long Eaton for the official end.  (Then back - on the train if I'm feeling a little tired by then!)

Route from Derby station to Long Eaton:
Out of station at Pride Park entrance
1st Left past roundhouse
L onto Cyclepath
Under flyover, sharp R to join riverside path.
Follow riverside path (4 miles) to Borrowash
L onto B5010 Station Road Borrowash
R onto A6005 Derby Road
R (to remain on A6005) Signed Draycott
R in Draycott (actually straight on as main road turns left) signed Sawley
L in Sawley onto Tamworth Road - leads to Long Eaton Station.

Completely flat.  And this is from someone who has to swallow when they step off a kerb, to equalise the pressures.  (Oh, alright, one or two railway bridges to go up-and-over.  No more than 20m climb TOTAL in 9 miles.)

Route from Holly Bush to Derby station:
Out of pub - Left onto Duffield Bank
L onto Eaton Bank
R in Little Eaton onto cyclepath alongside Alfreton Road
Follow path - cross A38 on Cycle traffic lights
Cyclepath alongside Alfreton Road (A61) to Pektron Island
R onto Alfreton Road
R into Haslams Lane (signed Rugby Club)
L onto Folly Lane
SO onto Cyclepath through Chester Green (wave at Rowing Club on other side of river)
SO into City Road
R then 2nd L into Phoenix Street
R onto Derwent Street
L onto Riverside cyclepath BEFORE crossing river
Follow Riverside path until Derby Evening Telegraph offices
R over bridge
L onto riverside cycle path
After bridge under railway, bear R for cyclepath to station.
R past Roundhouse (Derby College) - and the Pride Park entrance to the station is on R.

Hope that all helps.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Sorry all.
I've just looked at the route on the previous thread, and the return part that I've suggested up there ^ looks more like a bail-out alternative than a real part of the ride proper.  :-[
So it would be a slight shortening of the ride, and removal of gratuitous contour-line traversing, to do the return leg via Derby and the riverside path, rather than via Breadsall, Chaddesden, Oakwood, and Spondon.
Hoozupfrit? ;D

Thanks, Rower. Derby's a lot easier for me to get to, and the removal of contour line traversing suits me. So, I'd need to be at Derby Station by 9.30, is what I think you're suggesting? How boggy is the riverside path going to be? That will determine choice of bike.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Thanks, Rower. Derby's a lot easier for me to get to, and the removal of contour line traversing suits me. So, I'd need to be at Derby Station by 9.30, is what I think you're suggesting? How boggy is the riverside path going to be? That will determine choice of bike.
Tarmac all the way.  (Possibly one or two patches of gravel.)  Definitely no mud.  20mm tyres and carbon bling would not come a cropper.  But I'll have mudguards.
HOWEVER ... there have been a few instances, in the last few years, where the river has flooded the path completely, under one or two of the bridges.  If that's the case, then there are on-road or on-tarmac diversions.
Yes - 0930 sounds about right for the Derby feeder ride.  I'll enable my tracker and post a link here, so that any Long Eaton starters with mobile internets will be able to follow the progress of the feeder ride as we home in on you.
Now that I've seen the route proper, the post-Holly-Bush Derby diversion could rejoin the ride proper at the point where the riverside path joins the B5010 Station Road Borrowash.  We'll wait for those taking the Chaddesden/Spondon route there. ;)

Excellent! I'll bring the Orbit and am due in at 9.15. I see the Holly Bush is under newish management, which is good in one way, as it was a little haphazard before, but the old bloke was a character.

Edit: Due in at 9:06 on the XCountry service from Leamington via Brum.

I don't think I've declared any interest in the ride on the thread yet, so to confirm, I'm in  :thumbsup:
Don't ask.