Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 523567 times)

I had tested our pans before the hobs came with a fridge magnet. The magnet is all that remains of my once extensive Action Man collection. It's a wee bundle of dynamite with a little timer.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
We're onto our second induction hob. I think they're great. Won't ever go back to gas. We only had one pan that didn't work, a crepe pan. I've never got around to replacing it but we mostly just use an ancient cast iron griddle for crepes instead.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Coconut milk (with rice) is revolting... It's the worst of rice milk (watery) and tastes like cakk in tea. The VegansTM were raving about it, I think they've lost tastebuds and texture capacity... It might be ok for hot chocolate.

Grabbed a loaf of sliced white from the corner shop last night, and discovered it was 'mega thick' (sic.) At over 3/4" the slices are indeed chunky; I presume this is the result of some kind of 'suitable for toasting' arms race...

barakta

Coconut mank is suitable for hot chocolate with cocoa powder and no added sugar but why bother... Am using the rest for cooking where the vileness matters less. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Coconut mank is suitable for hot chocolate with cocoa powder and no added sugar but why bother... Am using the rest for cooking where the vileness matters less.

I can now order portion packs of Lacto-free from Sainsbury's online.

Until recently, only Tesco supplied this.

Sainsbury's also seem to stock some tempting gluten-free goodies.

I could hold a better tea party for my friends...

barakta

:)

The coconut milk was an experimental purchase so I know what to say "no thanks  :sick:" as politely as possible to when offered them eager vegan types...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
So far, Dad has really only approved of the Lactofree, having tried various milk alternatives.
Mum's OK with Lactofree but thinks the others are  :sick:
No use for vegans thobut.
Suspect Doing Without might be more palatable than Alternatives.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Coconut milk (with rice) is revolting...

Which one did you get? My wife likes Koko but she's not keen on any other brand that she's tried.

I can't stand the stuff. Hate it when I accidentally take a mouthful of her tea with Koko in it.  :sick:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Coconut milk I think is only suitable for curries. I hate coconut water too. What's that all about? Tastes like soil.

I did eat a sprouted coconut (the inside, of course) not so long ago which was amazing and a something that I hitherto hadn't known existed. I'm mostly been meh about coconuts other that as an ingredient in other things but that was something else.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Coconut milk & lime juice make an excellent marinade for fish that's to be eaten raw.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

My thoughts on raw fish are well known in these parts.

But if anyone offers you a sprouted coconut, take it. Especially if he's a seven-foot-tall rasta with a big, big machete and a giant dehusking spike. It's innards are heavenly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Coconut milk & lime juice make an excellent marinade for fish that's to be eaten raw.
I sprinkle lime juice and lemon juice on my salmon prior to cooking it.
In the microwave.

barakta

So far, Dad has really only approved of the Lactofree, having tried various milk alternatives.
Mum's OK with Lactofree but thinks the others are  :sick:
No use for vegans thobut.
Suspect Doing Without might be more palatable than Alternatives.

*nods* I have no intention of becoming a vegan. I won't even return to being veggie as it just didn't work for me healthwise and with lactofail it'll be EVEN more annoying.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Lactofree cowjuice is fine for those who accept it.

I think vegans who come here will either have lemon tea or a fruity infusion.

I might just try a soya milk for tea if really pressed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Coconut water from a freshly split coconut is the most refreshing and delicious drink possible on a hot tropical bike ride. Wouldn't bother with it elsewhere.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
E. M. Forster on Railway Food.  Written in the 1930s.  Not much changes, does it?

“Porridge or prunes, sir?” That cry still rings in my memory. It is an epitome – not, indeed, of English food, but of the forces that drag it into the dirt. It voices the true spirit of gastronomic joylessness. Porridge fills the Englishman up, prunes clear him out, so their functions are opposed. But their spirit is the same: they eschew pleasure and consider delicacy immoral ... Everything was grey. The porridge was in grey lumps, the prunes swam in grey sauce ... Then I had a haddock. It was covered in a sort of hard, yellow oilskin, as if it had been in a lifeboat, and its inside gushed salt water when pricked. Sausages and bacon followed this disgusting fish. They, too, had been up all night. Toast like steel: marmalade a scented jelly. I paid the bill dumbly, wondering again why some things have to be.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Satsumas seem to have disappeared from Sainsbury's and seem to be replaced by the bland 'easy peeler' clementine.

I thought I'd order some satsumas for Christmas but was delivered Easy Peelers as a substitute.
Meh!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
'Terry's' Chocolate Oranges have shrunk from 175g (I think) to 157g.
I think they might have been 200g in the past.
Lindor truffles are getting pricy.

We started our 'Seasonal Fruit', as is traditional, with our Christmas Day breakfast.

The segments have been reshaped, so that one face is now considerably more concave, though the edges are thick.

A disappointment.

Coconut milk I think is only suitable for curries.

It also makes a rather excellent vegan Baileys.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Coconut milk (with rice) is revolting... It's the worst of rice milk (watery) and tastes like cakk in tea. The VegansTM were raving about it, I think they've lost tastebuds and texture capacity... It might be ok for hot chocolate.
We got this by mistake recently instead of coconut water (which I find excellent for hydrating when I'm poorly). It tastes pretty awful on its own and I knew it would be horrid in tea so didn't try it. Soy milk is my tea milk of choice. I did use the coconut milk for making porridge however and it turned out really well - creamy and slightly sweet. A nice accidental discovery!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Today, as a result of a very ill dog requiring constant attention, I drew the short straw and didn't go to the big Boxing Day Bash At My Brother's House. This is a great shame, because these are Events Not To Be Missed.

As a consolation prize, I get to cook Dinner for One. I'm going to have roast taters, parsnips and leeks, boiled carrots (the little pointy ones that cost lots in Waitrose) and sprahts. I might parboil the sprahts and then fry them with streaky bacon. There is some stuffing and a good deal of cold turkey from yesterday as well as some cold sausages.

As a pre-prandial I have so far consumed a Hen, I am part-way through a Wild Boar, and I have a Badger/Ferret hybrid waiting in the wings.

There is a surfeit of cold Christmas pud with cream.

I don't think I will bother to open a bottle of wine, but there is some excellent port as a post-prandial.

The diet is on hold.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.

We started our 'Seasonal Fruit', as is traditional, with our Christmas Day breakfast.

The segments have been reshaped, so that one face is now considerably more concave, though the edges are thick.

A disappointment.
Tobleroned, then. We really need to worry when they do this to Dairy Milk.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
They already did.  The individual blocks in a bar of CDM changed shape over a year ago.  :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

A disappointment.
Tobleroned, then. We really need to worry when they do this to Dairy Milk.

It's been done over the years by Cadbury's pre-Mondelēz.

Compare the size and content weight of chocolate boxes from 1940 to date and you will see how the spacing between chocolates has expanded.

HUGE boxes of chocolate now have very scanty contents!