Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 528804 times)

Our much-loved presso coffee maker broke (with a huge bang) on Sunday. One of the arms snapped. It's about 12 years old.

Without a lot of hope, and wondering if I could get it welded, I emailed the company, asking about replacement parts. Didn't get a reply, just received a paypal request for money for a replacement part. £14 for a pair of replacement arms (a new coffee maker is £149).

Communication, -1
Serviceability, +10
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
I've just dropped my glasses into my curry.
It is simpler than it looks.

I've just dropped my glasses into my curry.

Don't wash them, tis food for bedtime

;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

I've discovered chocolate can go mouldy - a couple of bars of dark chocolate had been shoved into the (slightly dank, normally used for booze storage) cupboard, and when I opened them they'd grown some white fur  :hand:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Poking round Mrs T's favourite bio shop the other day we noticed bundles of fresh green asparagus: 6 measly stalks for 6 € something. Gawd.  In general, everything was ridiculously expensive.

And they were selling Sidamo at 7.85 € for 250g - roasted last August. Bio, thy name is unscrupulous.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I've discovered chocolate can go mouldy - a couple of bars of dark chocolate had been shoved into the (slightly dank, normally used for booze storage) cupboard, and when I opened them they'd grown some white fur  :hand:

Is it definitely mould, or is it chocolate 'bloom' which is something else entirely?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I've never had mouldy chocolate, though some of ours is ancient. Fur would suggest mould.
Bloom is due to fat from the cocoa butter making  its  way to the surface; harmless but not quite as tasty as originally.It's no problem if the chocolate is to be cooked.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Lidl fruit and veg is noticeably cheaper than Tesco, and so far much better quality, especially the onions.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

No, definitely mould not bloom - though in small circular patches rather than all across the surface. Thankfully just two of the bars were affected, and of the same types (they were a bunch of mini single-variety chocolate bars), so maybe something about this particular batch made them more susceptible?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Wetness. A drop of condensed water dissolving the sugar.
I keep some chocolate in the fridge.
For years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Or a dead mouse or something that's contaminated it during manufacturing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I discovered some chocolate-coated raisins in my "energy bag/snack pack" on Saturday. They'd been there since July. They had developed a layer of fur on the outside, so I gave them as an offering to the great god of the verge.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Why does eating apples make me hungry?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Because they supply fewer calories than their chewing effort and scant sugar boost cause your body to anticipate.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It seems Kingston Hospital has twigged that people get fed better if you offer food people like & can eat than if presented with 'what's good for them'...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39353379

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
You know those "posh" Collective yoghurts with fruit jam stuff in? I discovered yesterday that Wilko's sell small tubs of these. They cost 80p and, handy for audaxers and cutlery-less cyclists, include a spoonlet under the lid, ice cream style. They only had passion fruit flavour when I was there, but it was the end of the day on Northgate Street, so quite likely they stock other flavours too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

MrsC and I went for a meal out, my choice of venue. To her surprise, I picked wagamama (well, I've only eaten in there once and it was years ago).
We both picked a noodle bowl option - MrsC was tempted by something chilli-based but opted for the non-chilli noodles.

Which were full of chillies. Despite allegedly being 'non-spicy' it was hot enough to almost bring on a sweat.

One wonders what the chilli-based noodle dish would have been like. Noodles made from chillies? Noodles with chillies and chillies on top?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

You know those "posh" Collective yoghurts with fruit jam stuff in? I discovered yesterday that Wilko's sell small tubs of these. They cost 80p and, handy for audaxers and cutlery-less cyclists, include a spoonlet under the lid, ice cream style. They only had passion fruit flavour when I was there, but it was the end of the day on Northgate Street, so quite likely they stock other flavours too.
I love those yogurts. I very much enjoyed the limited edition blackberry & apple ones last year.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
MrsC and I went for a meal out, my choice of venue. To her surprise, I picked wagamama (well, I've only eaten in there once and it was years ago).
Since this place is Pelis favourite eatery, i have eaten there a few times. I don't find it spicey, but between chefs and location there is a difference. Can go from mild to to hot for Peli. But they are very good a catering to your needs if you ask be that more of this-less of that, nut or dairy allergy etc.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
A branch of Home Bargains opened near us recently. I've never been in to one before but thought I might as well check it out. I discovered they sell packets of instant noodles for 25p - and you even get a discount for paying cash.

They are every bit as delicious and nutritious as you'd expect.

I love them. I'm going to go back and stock up.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Ben T

was looking for some dried fruit today and found these:

(click to show/hide)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
That made me laugh a lot more than I should admit.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Shopping with Mum yesterday, saw M&S sell own brand lactose-free milk.
(Sainsbury's now sell portion packs of Lacto-free.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Posting this here because barakta would murder me if I started doing it:

Quote from: @liamthatcher
I've created a game called 'freezer pictionary' in which I draw the name of the dish & then see if I remember what it is in 6 months time

https://twitter.com/liamthatcher/status/828006386894249990

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I will not be getting the 'little glasses' 'free with three packs of Tropicana:
1) They need £2 P&P
2) They wouldn't stack
3) I would need to photograph my receipt and upload it to their website. Far too much hassle - I don't have a smartphone and would have to ask David.
4) I can get a glass 'free' with a single purchase of Nutella and their glasses stack, though not well. Nutella glasses are a bit bigger, it must be said.