Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 532911 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
How many satsumas are too many?

The number the supermarket want you to walk home with.  The little fuckers are perpetually on BOGOF.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
How many satsumas are too many?

The number the supermarket want you to walk home with.  The little fuckers are perpetually on BOGOF.

Not round here.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Skip diving for food is about to get harder in France. But also safer, and it's probably good news for soup kitchens.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/22/france-to-force-big-supermarkets-to-give-away-unsold-food-to-charity
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Say one were hypothetically to forget to remove the grounds* from ones coffeebot, resulting in a filter full of nasty mouldy concrete, and thus hypothetically discovered that even after running it with plain water a couple of times it hypothetically still smells rank.  What might Thee Panel recommend to remove the hypothetical foul smell from such a hypothetical coffeebot?  Hypothetically, natch.

* - enough for arrest.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Running it through with water and a couple of hefty teaspoons of bicarb?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Hypothetically, this might have at least reduced the virtual smell to acceptable levels of non-existence.  Tomorrow there may be coffee rather than Brown Drink oops.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
"What are you going to do with that black over-ripe banana?" He asked.
"I'm going to microwave it with dark chocolate chips, mash them together and top with ice cream." I said.
He did not believe me. He is out.
I did the deed.
It was very good.

Cudzoziemiec

He did not believe you? Why on earth not?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
He dislikes over-ripe bananas.
Said banana had spent all week in the fruit bowl looking sadder and sadder.
He would have thrown it away...

ian

Overripe banana belong in the foot rant thread. They're nasty, evil, squishy things.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I like bananas just as they are going brown but before they are brown... But they do smell in that state and Kim really doesn't like the smell. You also can't often buy them in the nice very yellow state which is annoying as I don't like em when greenish.

Overripe banana belong in the foot rant threadbanana cake. They're nasty, evil, squishy thingseasy to mash and keep it delightfully moist.

FTFY

Unfortunately, the overripe nanas I have just (well, yesterday) thrown out had gone past the point of being mashable, and I'd probably have had to pour them into the mixing bowl. There was a distinctly fermented smell to them: while alcoholic banana cake is no bad thing, I think I missed my chance a week or two back.

Two day old candy floss (in a bag) has lost most of its texture but has also developed a much more noticeable flavour. Imitation Strawberry, I think.

Your coffeebot will produce better results if you remember to put the filter basket in it before adding the coffee :facepalm:

Or if you remember to transfer the coffee from the grinder to the filter basket. I would never forget to do that ever and I didn't do it this morning and I didn't pour myself a cup of nice hot water.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
After lunch the missus put an out-of-date hamburger in the oven to cook for the dogs. At half-past five I went downstairs: interesting aroma.

So that's how they make coke...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

In the interests of science and the happiness of all forumites, I've conducted some comparison testing of Nutella and Essential Organic Hazelnut and Chocolate Spread. The Essential is a little more chocolatey and has quite a bit less of a whey or milk-powder taste. It's a little bit less sweet, though the difference is marginal. I prefer it, though that might be partly the novelty factor. Unfortunately, you pay the organic premium at the till.

someone brought home made veggie samosas into work today and left them in the kitchen.

They are good  :thumbsup:

I may just have to have my third with lunch  :P

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

A Most Excellent low calorie option

Cudzoziemiec

In the stupormarquette today, I noticed a new-to-me flavour of crisps: butter and mint. Being a glutton for novelty, I bought them. Interesting... but not in a way I'll be repeating.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I just mentioned to Dez that the cabbage I bought at Waitrose yesterday looked like a greyhound. He was confused.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Our work vending machines have just started stocking bags of Haribo - not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing :-[
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
I've never seen Star Wars made scrambled eggs in my life.

Until tonight.  Which is odd, as I really like them on toast.

Yum.

That is all.
Getting there...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Lidls grated chedder cheese tastes of nuffink.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium