Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 532933 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I remember that the cafe stop on the first Cardiff-Swansea FNRttC had a Zero Star sign displayed!

If you had one of those, why wouldn't you display it at the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying beware of the leopard?

You can also look the results up on the local authority website.
The only 1* in South Somerset was the brand new Kentucky Fried Rat Chicken...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

I remember that the cafe stop on the first Cardiff-Swansea FNRttC had a Zero Star sign displayed!

If you had one of those, why wouldn't you display it at the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying beware of the leopard?

In Wales, displaying it on the front door or window is mandatory.  Scores of 0 or 1 tend to be displayed at foot level on the door.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
In Wales, displaying it on the front door or window is mandatory.

:thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Wanted to wok some prawns in batter at lunchtime but found we had only olive oil. It said "max 180°C" on the label so I stuck a thermocouple in it, and can report that it reached 236° before starting to smoke.  With a batch of prawns in, though, it dropped to around 150° so I kept them moving in and out pretty fast and all was well.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
OMG. I've just discovered that the café where my son has a saturday job sells canelés de Bordeaux.

When I lived in Bordeaux in the early 90s, these were a regular mid-morning treat with coffee at various cafés in town. Totally my favourite ever confectionery. I've only ever seen them sold in one other place in the UK, which was a stall in Borough Market. You don't even see them that often in France. At their best, served still warm from the oven, they're incredible - crisp and caramelised on the outside, with a sticky, soft consistency somewhere between cake and custard in the middle. In the same way that Lisbon is famous for its pasteis, Bordeaux really deserves to be more famous for its canelés.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

It's a by product of the wine industry, the whites are used for fining wine.

I spent a week in Bordeaux and by the end of it, I was sick of caneles.

On my last day there, I was overjoyed to see profiteroles on the menu, so I ordered those. The sneaky b*stards made the profiteroles by filling caneles with cream rather than use choux buns.

citoyen

It's a by product of the wine industry, the whites are used for fining wine.

Sounds like backdated mythology, but it's a good story.

I spent a week in Bordeaux and by the end of it, I was sick of caneles.

I spent a whole year there and didn't get sick of them.

. In the same way that Lisbon Belém is famous for its pasteis, Bordeaux really deserves to be more famous for its canelés.
FTFY
Well worth queuing (in the pouring rain) for the real deal.  :D 

A colleague has brought home made chocolate fudge into the office in recognition of his birthday...

I may have to take the long way home to burn the extra calories.

Have gone back to full fat milk, after more than 20 years on semi skimmed.  Not for taste reasons or anything, just a rejection of the all fat is bad fallacy that has been drilled into me for practically all my life.

I don't actually drink milk as milk, as I'm lactose intolerant, I just put a drop in my one cup of tea a day.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Have you tried Lactofree?  It tastes like (very slightly sweeter, as the lactose is broken down to glucose) milk.  Unlike semi-skilled, the full fat one never seems to be sold out in Mr Sainsbury's emporium of toothy comestibles.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Have you tried Lactofree?  It tastes like (very slightly sweeter, as the lactose is broken down to glucose) milk.  Unlike semi-skilled, the full fat one never seems to be sold out in Mr Sainsbury's emporium of toothy comestibles.

I'm fairly sure I can get full-fat Lacto-free from Sainsbury's. I have ordered some online for delivery to Aged Parents (Dad is severely lactose intolerant).
I don't know exactly what got delivered but it is listed for me.

The portion packs of semi-skimmed are only available from Tescopoly though  :(

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Have gone back to full fat milk, after more than 20 years on semi skimmed.  Not for taste reasons or anything, just a rejection of the all fat is bad fallacy that has been drilled into me for practically all my life.

I don't actually drink milk as milk, as I'm lactose intolerant, I just put a drop in my one cup of tea a day.

Why not do without the one cup of tea  ???

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Burn the heretic!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
 All the best people drink their tea black anyway  :smug:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
The one thing I wasn't willing to give up when I became lactose intolerant was TEA. I drank it with horrid soya milk before I became intolerant to that and was able to source lactofree :)  TEEEEEA!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Burn the heretic!

That never actually happens though, because the mob decides to have a quick cuppa first, allowing the heretic to do a runner...

We started to drink tea black in Turkey (good cure if tummy is unsettled my mate said, it worked), after a few days I couldn't bear the taste of milk in tea or coffee for that matter.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
I'll probaby get barred from entering France for life after posting this.

Hollandaise sauce is not a million miles away from Salad Cream.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

citoyen

Hollandaise sauce is not a million miles away from Salad Cream.

No, not a million miles... but there are enough differences that you can't really get them confused. Hollandaise should be rich and unctuous and buttery, salad cream (the bottled stuff, at least) is relatively thin and sharp.

I wasn't sure of the ingredients of salad cream so I just looked it up. Interesting. Apparently, it's not a Heinz invention as I assumed, it dates back at least as far as Mrs Beeton. She makes it with hard-boiled egg yolks, oil, lemon juice, mustard, sugar and cream. The key difference with hollandaise is that it uses butter rather than veg oil, raw yolks rather than cooked, and leaves out the sugar and cream.

We started to drink tea black in Turkey (good cure if tummy is unsettled my mate said, it worked), after a few days I couldn't bear the taste of milk in tea or coffee for that matter.

I've recently discovered Turkish coffee, and and would be interested in learning to make it, but I don't have the little pots with side handles, a big bucket of hot sand, and the fact I'd probably end up on some CIA watch list as it's probably what dodgy people drink.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Israelis call Turkish coffee 'botz' ie mud...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Poles give the name 'Turkish coffee' to coffee made by pouring boiling water straight on to a spoonful or two of coffee grounds in a mug. Doesn't sound like this is what Gerald has in mind.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Very finely ground coffee in a particular blend, I forget which.  I also forget what the wee pots are called. I do remember that the usual word used in the West is "ibrik", which simply means a pot so it's wrong, but it'd probably work on eBay.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight