Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 532781 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I make a rather good chopped liver, if I say so myself - following Claudia Roden's recipe from her absolutely wonderful Book of Jewish Food
Although we're not a Jewish household, I do follow the proper procedure to make it "kosher" (although I stop short of getting a Rabbi round to make it official - and my kitchen is far from being a kosher environment)
I'm curious, do you really salt it with coarse salt and sear over an open flame? One of the messiest jobs ever and imparts a burnt flavour to the liver which is either good or bad depending on your perspective, personally I think the flavour is better without the sacrificial element.

I think the Kosher butchers do this in bulk now so you can no longer buy a truly raw 'unkashered' liver, like my mother did when I was a kid. This process certainly added a rustic 'burnt' flavour to the mix…

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Liver is something of a delicacy in Kosher Jewish households, as it needs special preparation to be properly Kosher.
Chopped Liver is a classical cold starter.
I don't think Mum cooks liver any more. She did when we were kids.

My mother used to serve liver and bacon. I detested it.

I have to say that when, in my teens, I read "Portnoy's Complaint", this merely confirmed my dislike of liver. I don't think my mother ever read "Portnoy's Complaint" but I think she just gave up the unequal struggle of trying to get me to eat liver.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
…whereas I ended up discussing preparation of Chopped Liver with Michael Rosen, over on Twitter…

Ready-made chopped liver is easily available from chain supermarkets in Jewish areas.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I have just thrown away the last of a packet of dried figs that were off somehow, the whole packet tasted revolting.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I have to say that when, in my teens, I read "Portnoy's Complaint", this merely confirmed my dislike of liver.

But go on, confess, you tried his method, didn't you?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

The last time I had liver, it was at the Polish club in Leeds. Liver and mashed potato, swimming in onion gravy. Excellent.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

Straw poll: who knows what à la mode means, in the American food-related sense?

I thought it would be reasonably familiar to a British audience, so used it in a crossword clue, but it seems lots of people have never heard of it. I presume those of you who have spent any amount of time in the US will be very familiar with it.

I think I first came across the term in the restaurant scene in When Harry Met Sally, when Sally places her order - I guess it's not the thing about the scene that people remember most...

https://youtu.be/IxeeeSUFpmE

ian

I do, but I have an excuse.

That is how many Americans order food. I remember once in California hearing someone order the avocado something-or-other without the avocado because she was apparently allergic to it. It was the main ingredient. Their server, obviously destined for better things, deadpanned, 'ma'am, you're in California, this is a bad place for people who don't like avocado.'

To me “a la mode” means “with ice cream”. Although apparently when applied to beef it doesn’t.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

Your excuse being that you like ice cream?

Their server, obviously destined for better things, deadpanned, 'ma'am, you're in California, this is a bad place for people who don't like avocado.'

;D

My wife orders food like that. I'm very much of the "I'll have it how it comes" school of restaurant dining. But that's partly because I hate choice - I eat out in restaurants so that other people can make these decisions for me.

citoyen

To me “a la mode” means “with ice cream”. Although apparently when applied to beef it’s not.

Yes, "with ice cream" is what I was after. For beef, I think it means threaded with lard. My copy of Larousse Gastronomique is just out of reach and ICBA to get it down off the shelf.

Anyway, you really don't want to order your apple pie à la mode in a French restaurant.

ian

Your excuse being that you like ice cream?

Their server, obviously destined for better things, deadpanned, 'ma'am, you're in California, this is a bad place for people who don't like avocado.'

;D

My wife orders food like that. I'm very much of the "I'll have it how it comes" school of restaurant dining. But that's partly because I hate choice - I eat out in restaurants so that other people can make these decisions for me.

I lived in the US for several years, so their pie conventions are familiar to me (still not sure about apple pie served with cheese though).

I had a girlfriend who never ordered anything as offered on the menu, she'd start with something on the menu, though this was a mere basecamp for the forthcoming off-piste ordering adventure, pointing it out to the server and then launching in a thorough deconstruction; taking it item by item, ingredient by ingredient, swapping each with other items on the menu, rearranging where they need to appear on the plate, until she'd created something entirely new (or a few cases she'd have inadvertently reconstructed the actual thing she was pointing at). I was, in my early days, quite amazed that the server didn't lose the smile and pull out a gun and advise her to pick an actual thing. But that's not how it works, it's the American way. She was equally amazed that I ordered from the menu as presented. But you don't even like avocado, she'd say, and I'd shrug and say well, it's in there and I don't want to make a fuss. When cultures collide.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I knew it meant with ice cream, but I'm not sure how. Not from any film, I'm sure.

Mind you, I also think apple pie with cheese sounds pretty tasty. If it's an appley apple pie, not a sugar-topped strudel-type thing, and a good piece of strong cheddar or some other strong cheese. I expect what you get if you order this in America is neither of those things.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

I noticed that Tesco's House of Toothless Combustibles has now introduced a price differential between salted and unsalted butter, with the former held at £1.55 while the latter has jumped ahead to £1.75. Your branch might vary, of course.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
I noticed that Tesco's House of Toothless Combustibles has now introduced a price differential between salted and unsalted butter, with the former held at £1.55 while the latter has jumped ahead to £1.75. Your branch might vary, of course.
If I take the latter with a pinch of salt, will they charge me less?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

If I take the latter with a pinch of salt, will they charge me less?
Or give you a discount for making salacious comments?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

I've not encountered it, but applying my rudimentary understanding of a) the French language and b) American cuisine, I can only assume it means the addition of something marginally appropriate that's high in fat and/or high-fructose corn syrup.

Reading subsequent posts suggests that I wasn't far off the mark.

Next time ask them what an "entree" means in USAnian.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Cudzoziemiec

Next time ask them what an "entree" means in USAnian.
Isn't that UKish too (in those places that like to describe food in French or an approximation thereof)?

Apple Pie
Without cheese
Is like a kiss
Without a squeeze.

I can't believe I got this in before 'bagger.

Tart apple pie with Lancashire.
Much like fruit cake with Wensleydale.

But then, y'know, cheese. It's good with everything. Except goat and or celery, obv.

Cudzoziemiec

But then, y'know, cheese. It's good with everything.
the fboab, she speaks the truth.

I'm really confused. What do usanians think 'a la mode' means?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

With ice cream on the side, generally as an accompaniment to dessert pies.

With ice cream on the side, generally as an accompaniment to dessert pies.
Oh - well that is the french meaning, sort of, so I can accept that.

I bet if you order a steak a la mode in the USA you'll get a steak with icecream.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
USAnia:with ice cream
France:braised in wine, typically with vegetables

xp with ian
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime