Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 532946 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I bought some pâté last weekend and thought we could have it for lunch this week. Then I realised we have nothing passing for chutney in the house, and the only thing in the wee Coop this morning was mango.
So after deciding I still had a couple of bags of baby's first ever home grown rhubarb in the freezer I decided to have a bash at making chutney for the first time.
Seemed to go ok, now I have 3 jars of chutney flavoured pink goop. It's almost the same colour as my hair. 
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Never heard of chutney with pâté but here they put gherkins with it so why not?

Anyway, we came home rain'n'wind-blasted from our totter to Carrefour Express in next village this morning and didn't feel like elaborate cooking at lunchtime, so I had a tarte flambée with Munster and MrsT half a veggie pizza with the same. Followed up with Williams pears and a chunk of supermarket panettone it was one of the best meals I've had for a good while and far better that any traditional Christmas fodder, so maybe we'll have the same on Monday.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Really? Most of the time you get pate as a starter here it comes with some chutney, pickle, saucy stuff. It would be a bit gakky without it, IMO.

Pate is perfectly fine without either gherkins or the much more recent chutney. Just some crusty bread and plenty of unsalted butter. The (mainly UK) habit of caramelised onion chutney is very recent.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Pate is perfectly fine without either gherkins or the much more recent chutney. Just some crusty bread and plenty of unsalted butter. The (mainly UK) habit of caramelised onion chutney is very recent.

I did know a bloke who put mustard on his foie gras but he was German.

Not all pâtés are born equal: pâté-beurre-cornichons is a common sandwich filling in bistros here, and the cornichons are not out of place. Decent quality pâté, I agree, needs nothing. Not something I eat very often because it's a rare one that doesn't use pork fat.

ian

Never got putting jam with pate. Pickles though. If God did one thing right, it’s pickles.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Just had pate on toast with some of my pink goop. I could barely taste it. Clearly my chutney game needs work.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Turkey leftovers chopped up ready for the turkey and ham pie.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Just nipped to the Local Butcher,for Local People. The Girl, her husbad, the Gorgeous Grandchildren, The Boy and my Young Lady are coming for lunch.

I was after a bit of beef but there wasn't much selection. The Smartly Dressed Butcher talked me into a bit of rolled rib of beef. Goodness me, that was how much <interrobang>. I think I need a lie down.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
What happens if you cross a bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk with a Creme Egg? The Australians have done this:

And it's been called a bikepacking essential:
https://bikepacking.com/gear/emily-miles-2023-gear-picks/
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Ugh, that's making my teeth itch and my face crawl just thinking about it.

Cudzoziemiec

I have a bit of a sweet tooth, but creme egg in quantities exceeding 1 are pure vomitacea.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Shouldn’t this be in the “Food Crimes” thread?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

Yes, it should. And now, it shall be.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Seasonal seasoning causes sneezes…
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-67841188

ian

Ceps ice cream, with chocolate and fermented shiitake caramel. I’m not usually terrorised by the dessert course.

It was actually a surprisingly nice finale to a very nice meal. Didn’t have room for cheese after the 11 courses.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Ceps ice cream, with chocolate and fermented shiitake caramel. I’m not usually terrorised by the dessert course.

It was actually a surprisingly nice finale to a very nice meal. Didn’t have room for cheese after the 11 courses.

There is, or there used to be in the before times, a mushroom restaurant in Brussels. It was quite good.

http://cafedesspores.be

I've fettled my version of a gulyás*/goulash this evening. I've used beef shin and Polish** paprika, which I'm hoping will be better than the generic stuff I used last time along with lean, diced pork that ended up much too dry, not helped by having the slow cooker on its high setting. Today's effort will simmer away overnight on the low setting. I've also added swede, which I don't usually have in, as it can be a bugger to dice.

*Gulyás roughly translates as 'cowhand' my daughter informed me the other day, hence the beef that I don't eat as a rule.

**Hopefully my son is going to bring me copious amounts of sweet and hot paprika on his return from Budapest at the weekend.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ian

There is, or there used to be in the before times, a mushroom restaurant in Brussels. It was quite good.

http://cafedesspores.be

I can't say I like mushrooms. I can handle a couple in stroganoff and weirdly I like the raw ones in the salad at John's Pizza in NYC but nowhere else. Generally, if I see a mushroom I run. Mushrooms have ideas so it's best not to encourage them.

I'd give any mushroom restaurant some distance.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Have been given a jar of roast puree aubergene, so was wondering about what I could make with it.  As I am clueless.

Cudzoziemiec

Spread it on bread. Avocado toast is so 2023.

Sounds suspiciously close to babaganoush. Spread on bread or crackers, use it as a dip, stir it through pasta, add it to a stew, eat it with a spoon and then lick the jar ...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Sounds suspiciously close to babaganoush. Spread on bread or crackers, use it as a dip, stir it through pasta, add it to a stew, eat it with a spoon and then lick the jar ...

Ah I have some tuk cheese biscuits, so this will be a lazy dinner.  Thank you

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
We've decided to give Mindful Chef a try (as we've got an NHS discount) this week - first receipt will be tonight.  We tried Gousto previously but weren't impressed.  Several people have said they found Mindful Chef really nice.

Anyone got experience of them?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Ah I have some tuk cheese biscuits, so this will be a lazy dinner.  Thank you

The other evening we pigged out on Tuc biscuits and brie.  Sinful but nom.