Author Topic: Lead Me To The Darkside  (Read 22344 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Lead Me To The Darkside
« Reply #25 on: 20 July, 2012, 08:58:04 pm »
I do like trikes, but I am leaning towards two wheels for the train issues.  And the commuting is important.  I'll only be going down this road if my shoulder can't be mended and I have to resort to lying down.  Otherwise, I will be staying on my fixed and an upright tourer, however much I would like a bent in the stable...
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »
Of course if you end up with some halfway state where like me you're okay on a DF for shorter periods, but want the weight off your arms for longer rides that would avoid a lot of the more difficult compromises and make trikes a much more viable option...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #27 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:25:36 pm »
Well Clarion you could always borrow my Trice Q for a bit when Bikey-Mikey returns it (which isn't going to be too far in the future, I think) and see how you get on with one. That's currently adjusted for one-handed use (right hand only).
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:27:36 pm »
That's a very kind offer, and I might take you up on it.  But we'll see how things go for a while after surgery before I make a decision, so long as that's OK. :)
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #29 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:31:55 pm »
Sure.

I had missed the newsflash about surgery - sounds a bit dramatic. Hope it goes well!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:33:39 pm »
Don't underestimate the magical healing powers of Auntie Helen's trike...   :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:34:27 pm »
Surgery expected Tuesday.
Getting there...

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #32 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:28:39 pm »
If taking a recumbent on a train is a significant factor, a lowracer may not always fit the bike spaces.  That said, my experience was with my HP Speedmachine with the boom set a long way out.  Using trains more often was one reason I bought my Lightning P-38; climbing hills was the other.  It was frighteningly expensive at the time, but it's the bike I use for 90% of my riding.  I sit with the same eye level as a car driver, and the bike's agility and upright seat means low speed riding and manoeuvering in traffic is easy.  Not Brompton easy, of course, but definitely recumbent easy.  It won't carry four panniers though, and baulks at two if they're heavily loaded.

My first suggestion for a good all-round recumbent would be a dead heat between the HP Streetmachine a la Kim, and the quasi-low Nazca Fuego that Darkerside and Ruggtomcat ride.  Both are well capable of four panniers, both have suspension (Fuego rear only), and both are exceedingly well made.  Go for the SMGT if you prefer under- (or over-) seat steering and a higher seat; Fuego for over-seat steering and a lower seat.  I never found any particular difficulties in traffic with the reclined seat angle and low position of my SpM, but I did tire of car drivers being so protective of my wellbeing that they had to tell me.  If you want to look further afield, Lightning's Phantom would also make an excellent city and touring recumbent.

Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:31:57 pm »
The SMGT is an attractive option, but they do have a reputation for being rather heavy.  Is that the case?
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:39:34 pm »
Yes.  That's one of the reasons I sold mine to Kim.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #35 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:42:04 pm »
Let me make this very clear: I am NOT buying a Baron! :o ;D

I see Optima do the Dragon, which is similar to the SMGT.  And that the SMGTe is lighter than the standard.
Getting there...

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #36 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:50:45 pm »
GT now GTE apparently (assuming I've cracked the code):

http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/sm/gte/technik_e.html

I've had a slight hanker after one of those since following a pair up Minto Street at the end of the G8 bike ride in 2005 (I think I recognise the chap at 1:19 here)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_uOylvzDHIM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/_uOylvzDHIM&rel=1</a>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:52:08 pm »

I see Optima do the Dragon, which is similar to the SMGT.  And that the SMGTe is lighter than the standard.

In fairness, my Optima Dolphin (now discontinued) isn't that much lighter...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:02:23 pm »

The SMGTe is the standard.  They stopped making the SMGT years ago.  I reckon they'd like to do away with the Streetmachine entirely and concentrate on the Grasshopper, but it's still popular as it has the edge for serious fully-loaded touring (better distribution of weight, none of those 20" wheel gearing issues, probably rolls marginally better).

Realistically, all of HPVelotechnik's offerings are heavy.  They're the epitome of German over-engineering.  If you think the SMGT is a tank, you should see their trikes.

On the other hand, all recumbents are quite heavy, and none of it matters once you've got a touring load.  I happily manage all the sort of cycling you mention on mine without a problem, and I'm hardly teethgrinder, though I accept that I am working harder than the DF riders on social rides (you can tell by all the extra braking I do).  It is, after all, significantly faster than an equivalent ICE trike, and those are quite popular.

On the gripping hand, maintaining audax pace for more than 200k on it is insane, and the only reasons I haven't bought a Fujin SL are because I'm wondering if there's some way the Chamsin could be made to work for shortarses, and because barakta's imposed a "no n+1 until you get rid of the tandem" rule.   :demon:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #39 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:32:58 pm »
Is anyone else thinking a Darkside picnic gathering in London is required? I'd live to give other trikes a go and maybe even a two wheeler if anyone is willing to let me have a go.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #40 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:34:58 pm »
I was going to say a camping weekend but there would have to be a series of them as we all seem to be dotted about from all over
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #41 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:38:15 pm »
Sounds like a fun idea, Valiant, if it can be organised.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:40:36 pm »
Is anyone else thinking a Darkside picnic gathering in London is required? I'd live to give other trikes a go and maybe even a two wheeler if anyone is willing to let me have a go.

That's an excellent idea.  I'm surprised no one's thought of it before...   ;D

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #43 on: 21 July, 2012, 02:27:41 am »
 ;D ::-)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #44 on: 21 July, 2012, 07:06:51 am »
How about one of these?

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #45 on: 21 July, 2012, 09:15:15 am »

You may get better participation if you make it a little further north.

« Reply #46 on: 21 July, 2012, 11:17:51 pm »
I've a PDQ that you are welcome to borrow for an extended loan TJ.
I keep half thinking of selling it but never quite want to make the break (I feel the same about the Brompton after it flung me off  :) ).
I have never ridden the PDQ since taking it in part exchange for my Bacchetta. It has a hub and derailleur mix for gears.

On hub gears: I think the Shimano Alfine 11 is a good alternative to the Rohloff. I am enjoying mine.
On three wheelers: I bought my Trice after following Cycleman and seeing that while he rode a steady line uphill I was using at least as much road width with my weaving side to side on my Bacchetta.
I wouldn't want to ride my Trice in heavy traffic because of being at exhaust level. Something with a seat at the same level as a car seat and narrow enough for smaller gaps is preferable, I think.

Never knowingly under caffeinated

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #47 on: 22 July, 2012, 09:21:39 am »

In fairness, my Optima Dolphin (now discontinued) isn't that much lighter...

Please tell me their next model will be a Narwhal.  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 22 July, 2012, 02:47:40 pm »
One thing that I've just been reminded of by a thread in another place:

When trying out recumbents, give serious consideration to how you're going to carry and wheel them.  Through doorways, around railway stations, up and down steps, over anti-cyclist gates on Sustrans routes, that sort of thing.  Centres of gravity and sensible lifting points vary greatly, and a do-it-all/touring bike is going to have to be lifted and wheeled at some point.

This is of course extra-important if you've got a shoulder that needs to avoid certain stresses.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #49 on: 22 July, 2012, 05:57:22 pm »
An important point I am bearing (pardon the pun) in mind.
Getting there...