Author Topic: The Olympic opening ceremony  (Read 44610 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The Olympic opening ceremony
« Reply #200 on: 28 July, 2012, 10:22:27 am »
I was estimating to the nearest decade. Besides, I don't care.   :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

AndyK

« Reply #201 on: 28 July, 2012, 10:27:45 am »
I was disappointed they forgot to switch 'chute for rucksack...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #202 on: 28 July, 2012, 10:50:40 am »
Queen! Bond!

How dare they make me enjoy a Mr Bean sketch.  My sense of stuffy pride is-- oh. Well played.

The Rings of Steel (with BRANAGH/BRUNEL gnawing on his cigar - did the Americans get that?) was stunning.

I spent a good couple of hours yelling "What? NO! WHAT?" at the telly, so well done that Boyle.

And the Flame was beautiful. A lovely idea executed with lovely floaty grace.  The coming together of nations might be a bit cheesy, but it's the Olympic spirit, so bask in cheese for a fortnight.   :smug:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #203 on: 28 July, 2012, 10:59:29 am »
Agree completely.  We've just watched the repeat as the original was on at 430AM our time.
Marvellous stuff especially the Brunel bit and the flame.  Oh, and the Olympic flag.  No Dr who though?
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #204 on: 28 July, 2012, 11:31:29 am »
Queen! Bond!

How dare they make me enjoy a Mr Bean sketch.  My sense of stuffy pride is-- oh. Well played.

The Rings of Steel (with BRANAGH/BRUNEL gnawing on his cigar - did the Americans get that?) was stunning.

I spent a good couple of hours yelling "What? NO! WHAT?" at the telly, so well done that Boyle.

And the Flame was beautiful. A lovely idea executed with lovely floaty grace.  The coming together of nations might be a bit cheesy, but it's the Olympic spirit, so bask in cheese for a fortnight.   :smug:

I thought the effect of the molten metal pouring was superb - utterly realistic, and even as the rings floated in together, I couldn't stop believing that they really were yellow-hot steel. The commentary noted that with all the pyrotechnics going on, it even smelt like a foundry.

When I saw the original countryside bit, I said "Blimey, that's going to be quite a take-down job after this is over", and blow me, they did it in front of my eyes - and then built a bloody factory in its place! 

My first WTF! was when I realised they'd got Ken in as Brunel, but he was swiftly eclipsed in the "Good god, that's the Queen!" moment.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #205 on: 28 July, 2012, 01:39:29 pm »
I thought the effect of the molten metal pouring was superb - utterly realistic, and even as the rings floated in together, I couldn't stop believing that they really were yellow-hot steel. The commentary noted that with all the pyrotechnics going on, it even smelt like a foundry.

Watching it live, I couldn't convince my brain that it *wasn't* freshly forged steel.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #206 on: 28 July, 2012, 01:45:24 pm »
don't forget the best of british
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #207 on: 28 July, 2012, 02:25:57 pm »
The association between Mike Oldfield and the NHS might have caused some confusion worldwide. Giving rise to the impression that Great Ormond Street Hospital is devoted to the treatment of demonic posession, which seems surprisingly widespread in the UK, especially given the Harry Potter interlude.
"Tubular Bells" apparently sold particularly strongly to users of recreational chemicals, so maybe all those kids were just in rehab.  They looked pretty healthy, bouncing on the beds and stuff.

Michael Hann in the Guardian was struck by the same thought.
Mike Oldfield played Tubular Bells to accompany – bafflingly – the children and staff of Great Ormond Street Hospital. Given that the last time that music accompanied shots of children in beds, it was a satanically possessed girl with a revolving head in The Exorcist, the possibility was raised that the ceremony might enter new heights of WTF?, but it was not to be.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/27/olympic-opening-ceremony-music

Zoe Williams was quite funny on the politics.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/28/zoe-williams-olympic-opening-ceremony

I'd like to have seen some sort of reference to emigration fom the UK. We had the Empire Windrush, but the tidal wave of flags with the Union Jack in the corner, that followed the ceremony could have done with some acknowledgment. Replicas of the Mayflower and Cook's Endeavour leaving the stadium would have been even more confusing though.
I thoroughly enjoyed the evening, the 'name the intro round' was a classic.

Agree completely.  We've just watched the repeat as the original was on at 430AM our time.
Marvellous stuff especially the Brunel bit and the flame.  Oh, and the Olympic flag.  No Dr who though?

The Dr Who theme featured somewhere around the reference to Wayne's World that followed the ghostly hologram of Queen doing Bohemian Rhapsody. I was taken with the fragments of the past, such as Michael Fish's forecast of 15th October 1987. The whole spectacle was designed to be a theatrical presentation of a Google-bot gone off on one. The Tolkein meets Dickens aspect of the landscape transformation scene was interesting.
I'd spent Friday doing some maintenance work on the site of a reclaimed colliery a couple of miles from where Wiggins lives, which has been returned to something pretty much like the Teletubby land that started the show, I spend my working life making Britain look like that, so I felt included.
I'm surprised that no-one has commented that the NHS was formed in 1948, at the time of the last London Olympics.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #208 on: 28 July, 2012, 02:26:49 pm »
Seb Coe's specs and Macca's singing definite low points.

« Reply #209 on: 28 July, 2012, 02:34:56 pm »
Seb Coe's specs and Macca's singing definite low points.

The use of Pink Floyd's Dark Side was a good enough conclusion for me, but the segue into 'And in the End ' worked well. That should have gone immediately into the Athlete's parade using 'Twist and Shout' as in Ferris Bueller's Day Out.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tgd46QiHz4I&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/tgd46QiHz4I&rel=1</a>

« Reply #210 on: 28 July, 2012, 02:46:48 pm »
The Tiger Feet interlude was a classic, although I'd have liked a literal Pan's People style dance to it.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #211 on: 28 July, 2012, 03:17:18 pm »

They all seem to think he was Abraham Lincoln.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #212 on: 28 July, 2012, 03:22:52 pm »

They all seem to think he was Abraham Lincoln.

IIRC the NBC commentators just described them as 'industrialists'.
California Dreaming

« Reply #213 on: 28 July, 2012, 07:20:08 pm »
I didn't remember who Danny Boyle was until Googling shortly before the start of the event.  I had Frankie Boyle in mind - doing off-script jokes about Paralympians and Al Qaeda.

Me too - I was thinking: Last Olympics he was doing jokes about Rebecca Adlington looking like a reflection in a spoon and the Queen's pussy being haunted.  :-\
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #214 on: 28 July, 2012, 09:35:30 pm »
could some one explain the winged ones on bikes, totally over my head that one,

« Reply #215 on: 28 July, 2012, 09:40:42 pm »

I didn't care why, I just loved them!

A sort of quirky alternative to the standard release of doves?  Some sort of angel reference?

It made enough sense to me at the time....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #216 on: 28 July, 2012, 09:45:51 pm »

There was supposed to be some BMX stuff, I detected a whiff of ET phone home. Isn't there a scene in Blade Runner with bicycles in the rain? Maybe the original sequence made more sense.

« Reply #217 on: 28 July, 2012, 09:53:10 pm »

The US commentary stated that they represented the doves which would have traditionally been released (or something).
California Dreaming

« Reply #218 on: 28 July, 2012, 10:01:14 pm »

The US commentary stated that they represented the doves which would have traditionally been released (or something).

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #219 on: 28 July, 2012, 11:14:50 pm »

Johnny English, surely?
Pen Pusher

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #220 on: 28 July, 2012, 11:42:14 pm »
That was less bad than I was expecting. Enjoyed the pig over Battersea Power Station in the intro. Also liked The Shire turning into Mordor & the forging of the Rings of Power with a luvvy as Sauron. The choice of popular music was good & liked the CND symbol and the FU Cameron NHS bit.

Went to bed at Equatorial Guinea so missed Macca - oh dear, how sad, never mind.

« Reply #221 on: 29 July, 2012, 07:41:05 am »

Got it in one!
I'm reliably informed that there's protocol about having doves included in every opening ceremony for the olympics - on this occasion it was doves on bikes.

« Reply #222 on: 29 July, 2012, 07:58:51 am »

Got it in one!
I'm reliably informed that there's protocol about having doves included in every opening ceremony for the olympics - on this occasion it was doves on bikes.

Didn't the Koreans BBQ some with the Olympic flame?
"Il veut moins de riches, moi je veux moins de pauvres"

« Reply #223 on: 29 July, 2012, 08:00:21 am »
I believe there was an unfortunate incident such as the one you describe.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #224 on: 29 July, 2012, 08:40:36 am »
Queen! Bond!

What he said. And we had great fun guessing the music from the intros, but all had a big WTF? moment when the U2 sequence came on. And the fireworks were phenomenal. A huge success, apart from the tedious athletes parade bit.