Author Topic: Words you used to pronounce weirdly because you only ever saw them written down.  (Read 57285 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Rotherhithe

Huddersfield.

Southend.

Not sure what is unusual about the above.  Except that the middle one is almost always pronounced 'Uddy' ;)
Rovrive.

'ooddersfield,

Saaaaaaaaahfend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
That was rather the point. AIUI, it's:

New-car-sle under Lyme, but:

New-cas-sle upon Tyne

You'll have to help out with Emlyn, but knowing the nearest river will always help in determining the pronunciation.

The last one is pronounced Castell Newydd Emlyn. It's on the Teifi.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
I used to think nomenclature was a French word and pronounced it as such.  :-[

Likewise for me with interlocutor. 

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
My old boss called the young wizard in Harry Potter "Her mee own".

A young girl doing a reading at Church for Christmas said Pontius Pilate in the same way as one does Pilates the exercise!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

Ah, yes, a bit like the classical Greek rape victim whose name I used to think was pronounced Percy-phone.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
They still have to ask me twice where I have been on teh bike - cos I still can't pronounce Kinclaven properly.  Most of the places round here aren't to bad, though I struggled at first with Meigle and Alyth is not a cute scots lass with a lithp.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

A young girl doing a reading at Church for Christmas said Pontius Pilate in the same way as one does Pilates the exercise!
It seems to be traditional to give the youngest reader the lesson with Quirinius in it...

Schlumberger
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Cotoneaster, the plant. I used to read it as "cotton easter". Now I know, but I prefer it that way so do it deliberately.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Detritus  I always readthink as De-TRITE-us (Heavy on the TRITE). Still do!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

The interesting thing about the Newcastles is not so much the pronunciation, but the stress.
The northern town - the second syllable is stressed.
The other two - the first syllable is stressed.

Actually, I suspect it's the Emlyn and the Lyme that are stressed!

That reminds me of another: Siobhán.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Cotoneaster, the plant. I used to read it as "cotton easter". Now I know, but I prefer it that way so do it deliberately.  :D
Is it cotone aster?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Detritus  I always readthink as De-TRITE-us (Heavy on the TRITE). Still do!
??? I've just checked several dictionaries, all of which say that's OK ???

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Yeah, I say dee-TRITE-us

And I think it's Cotone-ee-asta
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I think I said DET-reet-us before I met someone who said deeTRITEus.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I say grebbies and eech.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin

That'll be See-o-ban then (according to my FiL, when his nephew was getting married to a lady of that name)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

Reminds me: travelling around the US with a Siobhan and Niamh. It was worse in the South, at least up North they got it over with, sub-Mason-Dixon they'd drawl the first phonetic syllable or two and then choke on an indigestible consonant. After about twenty minutes, you'd have slap them hard on the back to get it over with.

I pronounce many things incorrectly, courtesy of learning much from books.

Ian, it gets ever more complicated: the fashion for giving children names parents like the look of is actually changing pronunciation in some cases.  I had a girl in my class who was on the register as Niamh.  So I said, "Hello, Neeve."  She thought I was talking to someone else, as she had been brought up to believe her name was Neem by her non-Irish mother.

Misled became 'mizzled'
Myzuld (stress on my)

Can I nominate my in-laws who confused my utterly by talking about a restaurant they wanted to visit called "prezo" (not "pretzo"). I assumed the mental link between Pizza (being peetza not piza) would be strong, but then realised I had, in Music lessons as a young 'un, come across the word "mezzo" in mf and mp and so was aware it was a tz sound.
Anyone remember Ben Abruzzo, one of the first transatlantic balloonists? He corrected anyone who didn't pronounce his surname as "a-bruise-oh".
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

This thread reminds me of an old ISIHAC gag:

Interviewer:

"I hear you're a bit of an orthinologist"

Humph:

"Not so much an orthinologist, more of a word botcher!"

ian

Ian, it gets ever more complicated: the fashion for giving children names parents like the look of is actually changing pronunciation in some cases.  I had a girl in my class who was on the register as Niamh.  So I said, "Hello, Neeve."  She thought I was talking to someone else, as she had been brought up to believe her name was Neem by her non-Irish mother.

As per Citoyen's comment earlier, I did once hear a mother in the swimming pool changing room call her daughter 'Percy Phone', which would be – I'm sure – something of a tragedy in the realisation.

plum

Back in the days before dietary fibre I used to pronounce roughage as two words, one ending with a hard g and the other beginning with h.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.

As per Citoyen's comment earlier, I did once hear a mother in the swimming pool changing room call her daughter 'Percy Phone', which would be – I'm sure – something of a tragedy in the realisation.

Yep, but when you look up the correct pronunciation of things and are faced with 'pronunciation: /pərˈsɛfəniː/' as in the case of Persephone; it is not surprising that we meet interesting characters in supermarkets screeching 'pursey-phoney' get here now'.