Author Topic: Glasses irritation - any good ideas?  (Read 15806 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Glasses irritation - any good ideas?
« Reply #25 on: 06 September, 2012, 10:58:21 am »
Could you try removing the nose piece on the side where the irritation is? I found when I broke my glasses that three points of contact seems to be good enough to hold them steady.

Otherwise HPV and contacts :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #26 on: 06 September, 2012, 11:02:56 am »
I haven't even stoked for Wowbagger.  That's practically compulsory for female YACFers...
Nor me. I'm worried he'd refer to me as TGH.

« Reply #27 on: 06 September, 2012, 01:37:04 pm »
I had something slightly similar (angry sore patch under my watch made worse by sweat, was getting flaky) and applying lanolin a 2/3 times a day helped get rid entirely. Just a tiny amount as it is quite thick. It seems to act as a barrier as well as helping the skin heal without flaking. Also excellent for lips in cold weather.

It is mostly used for sore nipples when breastfeeding so you do have to go the baby section in boots to find it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 06 September, 2012, 02:02:48 pm »
Hm, good point.  I gave up wearing a watch about 14 years ago in similar circumstances.  Glasses are a bit more useful, though...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #29 on: 07 September, 2012, 08:39:49 pm »
Back when I wore glasses, this problem was reduced somewhat by the thinnest lightest specs I could afford (fancy lenses and also *small* lenses so the bottle-bottom rims didn't get too flared). 

I assume contacts aren't an option? 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 06 October, 2012, 03:47:19 pm »
Just to update: with the departure of the uncontrollable sweatiness season, some adjustment of the nosepiece position and a month of moisturiser treatment when not wearing glasses, the patch is finally healing properly (no more itching or flakiness).  Fingers crossed it stays that way over winter.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #31 on: 06 October, 2012, 05:39:08 pm »
Marvelous.

My first thought was a little more extreme: drill a hole in your forhead to take a screw to support the glasses frame so you could do away with the nose piece.  Should be no problem as long as you sterilise the drill bit, right?

I don't know what you were thinking Biggsy, but it's not as straightforward as that.

You'd need to tap the hole. M3 or M4 should be more than adequate.

Plus use an O-ring to keep in anything which has to be kept in.

I was thinking of using a self-tapping screw rather than tapping the hole first.  Gives a whole new meaning to "self-tapping", eh?

I'll get me white coat.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #32 on: 06 October, 2012, 06:04:18 pm »
That's good news, Kim.  As an only occasional glasses wearer I can but imagine the use and abuse the skin gets there.

I was thinking of using a self-tapping screw rather than tapping the hole first.

No self-tappers here:

http://news.bme.com/2004/12/14/pierced-eyeglasses-the-publishers-ring/

:o
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 06 October, 2012, 08:00:04 pm »
I was thinking of using a self-tapping screw rather than tapping the hole first.  Gives a whole new meaning to "self-tapping", eh?

I'll get me white coat.

Barakta's hearing aid implant is indeed a chunky titanium self-tapper into the bone, into which a thread is pre-tapped for the external gubbins to bolt into (with a gold plated T.notverymuch torx screw, using a ludicrously expensive torque wrench).  The processor itself clips on with a simple quick-release plastic thingy, which is a massive improvement on the previous faffing-about-with-O-rings design.  They do this for adults under local anaesthetic.  It's a bit like root canal, but with less drooling and a much scarier looking drill.

The clever thing about titanium and living bone is that it osseointegrates over a period of a few months, which means if you don't play rugball, it makes a bond even better than the really strong Loctite.  Exactly the opposite of B&M handlebar brackets, where the screw gets looser over time.

You could certainly mount a pair of glasses using the same technology.  The downside is that while the implant will bear weight (and transmit sound) admirably well without any pressure on the skin, the skin:abutment interface is effectively a permanent open wound, with cleaning and maintenance issues far greater than a bit of mild dermatitis.  Research into solving this problem continues, with a view to bone-anchored prosthetic limbs.  Animals with horns and antlers manage it - it's mostly a question of the right materials.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #34 on: 12 October, 2012, 12:16:38 pm »
I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier! (for glasses) ......

Have magnets implanted.

« Reply #35 on: 12 October, 2012, 12:21:45 pm »
Some years ago I saw a documentary about a German doctor working in a hospital in, I think, Jamaica. Metal grilles on doors and windows, the better to keep out those after drugs, and drilling skull depressions for head / neck traction using a bog standard Black & Decker with a counterbit drill bit. I'm guessing there was local anaesthetic...
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 12 October, 2012, 01:34:30 pm »
I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier! (for glasses) ......

Have magnets implanted.

Works for CI induction coils and the like.  Of course, it comes down to distributing the force over enough area that you don't end up with pressure problems on the skin.

Oh look, we're back where we started.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #37 on: 12 October, 2012, 01:56:59 pm »
Ah, maybe that's why it didn't occur to me earlier.  :-[

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #38 on: 12 October, 2012, 03:30:16 pm »
Glad to hear it's clearing up.

My granddad used to use New Skin to keep the same problem in check.

http://www.boots.com/en/Germolene-New-Skin-20ml-1-bottle_862956/

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart