Linked Events

• Yorks Xmas ride - Saturday 15th December: 15 December, 2012

Author Topic: Yorks Xmas ride - Saturday 15th December  (Read 9833 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Yorks Xmas ride - Saturday 15th December
« Reply #75 on: 15 December, 2012, 01:27:50 pm »
*slightly hungover Crinkly.  Wot went to bed at 5am.....*

Early night then!  ;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #76 on: 15 December, 2012, 04:28:12 pm »
I left the others by the Sun, largely because I didn't have any lights and wanted to get home before it got Properly Dark (which I did, just)

It wasn't the fastest ride I've been on by a long chalk, but it's the most fun I've had on two wheels for quite a while. I also discovered that the singlespeed handles really rather nicely with a touring load, even if its a bit muddy under foot - double win ;D

Also had interesting conversations with EldestCub on such diverse subjects as Python programming, the Raspberry Pi and learning how to solder. I'm now rummaging through my electronics bits box to find some odds and ends that will help him with the latter ...

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #77 on: 15 December, 2012, 09:25:13 pm »
That was a lovely bimble along the plants path with friends.

CA successfully defended the title of best tat-est bike as judged by the cubs.

We need a video this year to demonstrate it.

Which has inspired EldestCub (see above) so we may have some serious competition next year!

« Reply #78 on: 15 December, 2012, 09:35:04 pm »
Good effort on christmas bling!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #79 on: 15 December, 2012, 10:25:23 pm »
Gutted to have missed this. I was hoping to make a last-minute appearance, but there were just too many arrangements to make and shopping to do.
Hope to meet up in the new year.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #80 on: 15 December, 2012, 10:39:11 pm »
Thanks be to CL for taking the lead , after Tiermats lurgification. Get well soon,TM.
 Having arrived at the solar system to find nobody else loitering with intent to cycle, I was afraid we had missed the peloton, but  a PM from CL stopped us haring off towards Naburn and everyone caught up 10 minutes later.
 Short pootle to Naburn for ginormous portions of food. How anybody managed to order dessert is beyond me. The side portions of onion rings were a meal in themselves.
Best seats in the house, near the fire, and a lot better welcome than last year.

Pleasure to meet  Deano at last . I normally only see his back wheel on audaxes, and thats not for very long.
By time we got home it was very dark and very wet, but we did 58 miles round trip , so burnt off some of the calories.

A grand day out.

« Reply #81 on: 15 December, 2012, 10:48:44 pm »
That was a lovely bimble along the plants path with friends.

CA successfully defended the title of best tat-est bike as judged by the cubs.

We need a video this year to demonstrate it.

Which has inspired EldestCub (see above) so we may have some serious competition next year!

Love the light show   :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #82 on: 15 December, 2012, 11:44:23 pm »
4 hours sleep, and a "4 pints (believe me, you can do a Whyte Fyre gig sober but 4 pints makes it easier) followed by half a bottle of red and half shares of a Crabbies" hangover.....

News came in the morning that Tiermat wasn't going to be able to make it :(  So I rummaged through the thread for who we thought was coming and worked out which of 'em weren't either related to me or in my house and attempted to get in touch via PM or text with timings and so on.  After suitable faffage, much tea and some fairy light fettling we set off from the Den to meet CU, CA and the Cubs round at theirs.  Bike bling admired (they had also tinseled up the boys bikes :D) especially once CA had booted up her bike.  Best use of a raspberry pi, ever.

Onwards to the racecourse where Phanta, sporting a miniature tree on her rack and much purple tinsel, and Interzen with the very very green bike were found.  Onwards we went to the Sun, where we gathered up madcow and Mrs Madcow to take our number to 13.  A spot of playing on the bumps and a trackstanding lesson then the Cubs got to pick sides - who was to join the EldestCub's "Team Fast" and who was to go in the SmallestCub's "Team Slow"?  Neither of 'em wanted me, natch.  The big'un had to put up with me anyway.

Team Fast set off, aiming to get to the pub in time for them to not give our tables to anyone else, as Team Slow bimbled behind.  5 miles is a long way when you're 5, riding ss, and only have 14" wheels.  And winter miles are harder....

Once at the pub much food was consumed along with an assortment of beverages of all hues.  CA was re-awarded the best tat award following a unanimous decision by the judges - well, it was unanimous once we told the littly h wasn't allowed to vote for his own bike.  The prize hat has been embellished since last year.  And much discussion ensued as to what improvements could be made to it for next year.

Eventually, after much eating, drinking, nattering and sitting by nice warm fires we started to rally the troops for the off - the madcows heading off one way homeward bound, the rest back onto the planets path as darkness loomed and the lighting displays started to come into their element.  Slow and steady, with many stops, back to the Sun where we waved goodbye to Interzen then onwards and across the racecourse - SmallestCub had to deploy the 24" gear on the final ascent.  Then, sending the Clariflies, LG and That Deano ahead Denwards to put the kettle on, I went with Cubs to CA and CU's, where they collected their belongings and piled into the car to get a lift back.  And so very very close to the end littly discovered that you shouldn't trust wet metalwork.  Especially in the dark.  When cornering.  Spectacular both wheel skid, bike went out sideways from under him and an impressive slide across the alley.  But he and the bike are both fine.

Possibly the slowest forum ride there has ever been.  I'm not completely convinced our moving average was above 4mph....

Splendid.  Needs moar dragons tho.

« Reply #83 on: 16 December, 2012, 12:00:05 am »
Kat, that's a lovely write-up with lovely pictures.  I particularly like Eldest helping Clarion with the crossword: "This one's white, this one's black..."  Wish I could have been there.

Peter

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #84 on: 16 December, 2012, 12:03:07 am »
once CA had booted up her bike.  Best use of a raspberry pi, ever.

Ohdear.

PushBikes Christmas ride in the morning...

* Kim glances at raspberry pi and drawers of components, and suspects there may be a power source around here somewhere...

Nahh, I was planning to get some sleep.  And brummies are all mostly[1] philistines about this sort of thing anyway.  CrinklyAuntie wins!

I must say, EldestCub looks particularly dashing in that hat.  Almost rocking the nonn look.

[1] I'm reasonably sure nikki OTP would approve.

« Reply #85 on: 16 December, 2012, 12:47:08 am »
Chips, beer , desert & good company.... drat this cold !    Looks like you had a lovely time  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #86 on: 16 December, 2012, 02:35:28 pm »
On the train back to London village after a brilliant weekend.  Lots of lovely food, great people, lovely music (and awful music, in a fun way), bicycles and cubs!  And, of course, Crinkly Lion's kind hospitality.

I almost shed a tear as the train pulled out of York.  Feels like I'm leaving home.  Again.

CA's prize was richly deserved, and Smallest Cubs cycling tenacity will bring a smile for a long time to come.
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #87 on: 16 December, 2012, 02:41:40 pm »
Smallest Cubs cycling tenacity will bring a smile for a long time to come.
His efforts were also a glowing testimony to the restorative power of jelly babies.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #88 on: 16 December, 2012, 02:45:47 pm »
I wanted (in the nicest possible way) to open this thread and find that everything that could possibly go wrong, did, and that you had the most horrendous ride ever.

Instead I find you have had yet another fantastic time, and I am so so so jealous, I really really wish we could have been there, but it just wasn't going to happen (and I don't suppose anyone would have thanked me if we had spread Norovirus around you all).

Here's looking forward to an equally great cycling new year!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #89 on: 16 December, 2012, 02:52:56 pm »
You were missed.  But I am sure that 2013 (Mayan Exclusion Clause excepted) will bring lots of great riding.
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #90 on: 16 December, 2012, 03:17:36 pm »
I almost shed a tear as the train pulled out of York.  Feels like I'm leaving home.  Again.

One day the force drawing you back will be too much to resist.  When it is, we will be here for you.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #91 on: 16 December, 2012, 05:18:33 pm »
I've just remembered something ...

I was asked a couple of times why I wasn't riding Pugsley - the main reason was that it wasn't really the sort of weather that would have done justice to a fatbike ride (ie. a lack of snow and/or ankle-deep mud). However, I do solemnly swear that I will ride Pugsley next year1

1 - assuming I haven't traded him in for a Moonlander or something equally daft ;)

« Reply #92 on: 16 December, 2012, 07:32:21 pm »

I should permantly exclude him if I was you...   :demon:

One day the force drawing you back will be too much to resist.  When it is, we will be here for you.

« Reply #93 on: 17 December, 2012, 01:23:57 pm »
His efforts were also a glowing testimony to the restorative power of jelly babies.

Halfway from Earth to Mars on a single jelly bean :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #94 on: 17 December, 2012, 01:47:57 pm »

Halfway from Earth to Mars on a single jelly bean :thumbsup:
Well, hugging planets is tiring work - especially if the planet in question is Jupiter ;) (see pics above)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #95 on: 17 December, 2012, 08:55:33 pm »
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #96 on: 17 December, 2012, 08:59:14 pm »
Is EldestCub attempting to eat peas using a fork stuck in his ear?  I'd advise against that sort of thing, I've had bad experiences in the past.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #97 on: 17 December, 2012, 09:14:26 pm »
Not sure exactly what he was doing.  If you look at the link, you'll see him doing other daft stuff.

I like sharing tables with smart but silly kids. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #98 on: 17 December, 2012, 09:19:09 pm »
I quite liked the fact that my kids, who ain't daft, clearly decided that they were sticking like glue to Clarion and Butterfly and I got to actually have most of a conversation with several people ;)

« Reply #99 on: 17 December, 2012, 10:30:23 pm »
Looks like you all had a fab time. I'm sorry we didn't make it, but MFWHTBAB spent a large amount of the weekend sleeping (some of it at night, some in naps), so I think I made the right decision on our behalf...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk