Author Topic: The AUK Mission Statement  (Read 58318 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: The AUK Mission Statement
« Reply #450 on: 12 November, 2012, 06:54:32 pm »
So why don't we have audax.co.uk as a "shop window" with the whizzy graphics, a decent "about us" and a link to "forthcoming rides"
and keep aukweb.net just as it is ?

Let me Google Audax UK for you

Oh, and there is also    audax.uk.net
(The highly desirable    auk.net    was being held to ransom last I checked.)

Most of this thread is just points and counterpoints, as far as I can see.  However one distinct emerging theme is - 300s.
Certainly 300s are a tough sell, always my unfavourite distance for a start.  Rebranding them as 'double century' might be worth while - double centuries seem very popular in the US.
If the step up from 200 seems a big obstacle, then try one or two summer 250s - I've done a summer 250, it was a great event.
And autumn 300s - yes, that does seem an obvious move.  But I think once a long-distance cyclist has 'peaked' in June or July, there's a tendency to drop out for the rest of the year and do other cycling things, like riding with the family.
Most cycling new adopters come on stream in late summer and September (just like they did this year, but actually this was nothing new, it's always been the same).  Whether we can expect them to be sucked straight in to audax - well no I don't think so.  Winter publicity is the key, to set up some attainable goals for the next summer, for these people.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #451 on: 12 November, 2012, 07:32:48 pm »
This topic is so massive that I don't want to spend too long writing a response that will promptly be lost in the noise, but here's my take on things:

I rode my first brevet late summer 2009, aged 26. The only reason I knew what audax was was because I had been researching recumbents and, of course, you can't get far doing that before you stumble on the combination. If I was satisfied with my ordinary bikes I find it hard to believe I'd have stumbled across AUK at all (or not been instantly turned off by the presentation).

After deciding I was interested in the idea I found it very difficult to really understand what I was getting into. How big would the field be, and what would people be like (would I be welcome)? What style of riding is it really? A million questions none of which are really answered unless you dig a bit deeper and find ride reports off-site (or perhaps if you are entering an event with its own website).

I couldn't even find gpx traces for all the routes in the calendar (something that is noticeably better now than it was then). Ultimately I only had to do one ride before I decided I liked it but it was a big step. Finding this forum was essential... so lots that could be improved in this respect.

A rising tide lifts all boats and improving the general offering will make the 200s considerably more attractive (going a bit further than a century which you and your mates have all managed - it should be low hanging fruit as a sales pitch), but also naturally tend to increase participation in the longer events - I did six or so 200's then went straight for a 600km to see what it would be like (the biggest challenge I could find).

I agree that the sleeping in bus shelters / service stations aspect of longer rides is likely to limit it to a certain subset of riders. Fully catered rides that are more like mini-LELs or mini-PBPs would be a lot more attractive IMO to the 'general public', but there's also limit to the practicality of relying on volunteers this way. It seemed like half the normal field of a brevet here were helpers at Mille Alba, so if we did the same for a whole SR, who would ride it? Take years about getting an SR?

No answers, but plenty of questions isn't very helpful I suppose!

Hillbilly

« Reply #452 on: 12 November, 2012, 08:22:18 pm »
I have submitted my response to Allan Taylor.

I hope others on this thread are doing the same, because I pity Allan if he is going to have to wade through this thread to sort the wheat from the chaff.

mikewigley

« Reply #453 on: 12 November, 2012, 09:11:55 pm »
I have submitted my response to Allan Taylor.

I hope others on this thread are doing the same, because I pity Allan if he is going to have to wade through this thread to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Unless Allan has an obscure YACF-name that I haven't been able to penetrate (like most of them) he doesn't see this list.

« Reply #454 on: 12 November, 2012, 09:35:21 pm »
You don't have to be a member to read the forum.

« Reply #455 on: 12 November, 2012, 10:05:57 pm »
He's read it, I believe

Keith ::-)

London Edinburgh London

The AUK Mission Statement
« Reply #456 on: 12 November, 2012, 10:17:55 pm »
Yep, he's read it.

« Reply #457 on: 12 November, 2012, 10:43:46 pm »
Unless I've missed it (entirely possible) what is the deadline for submissions about the Mission Stetement to AUK?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #458 on: 28 November, 2012, 04:24:44 pm »
Has anyone pointed out that Populaires are run at a lower minimum speed. It's not only the distance that's a step function in terms of progressing, it's the speed as well. You move up to 200k, and the speed has to go up. The same is true all the way to 600 abd beyond. There is no extra time allowed for rest or eating at any of those distances. If you are close to the limit at any distance it's unlikely you would finish the next distance up in time.
And if you are moving from a flattish 100k at 12.5kph min to a 3+AAA 200k with a 15kph min it's a huge step up---which is an argument for having several tough 100ks and 150ks to allow progression to the tough 200s---NOT and argument for reducing the min speed for 200s.
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #459 on: 29 November, 2012, 03:23:42 pm »
The average age of new Audax members in 2012 was 46.  That sounds quite healthy to me and confirms my instincts that people join

- when the knees have been knackered by running

Regrettably too bl**dy true! :'(
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023