Author Topic: Dr Foster's Winter Warmer; 26th Jan  (Read 9645 times)

Re: Dr Foster's Winter Warmer; 26th Jan
« Reply #25 on: 23 January, 2013, 09:32:19 am »
I'm going to skip it and do a DIY GPS on Monday to keep the RRTY alive - 2 more rides to go
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Dr Foster's Winter Warmer; 26th Jan
« Reply #26 on: 23 January, 2013, 11:11:32 am »
Possible, just about. Looking out of bedroom window though, we've had another heavy dumping of the white stuff overnight.  What's it like it in Gloucester and the Wye Valley?

<edit>  Also - if all this does melt in one day - won't we be swimming to Gloucester and back? :-/ </edit>

Today around South Glos, from Emersons Green to Yate and the back lanes the bus went on, there was only a bit of slush, and it's melting. The main roads are completely clear.

Biggest danger is run off melt water which could possibly get frozen over by some 'chill factor' wind the might before...

Any meteorologists out there to explain the risks?
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #27 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:13:20 pm »
I'm sure it will be warmer on the weekend :thumbsup:

Caerau,
Dont worry too much, a calendar ride is all about doing the ride whatever the weather.(as long as it's safe)
The Drfww was my 1st ride too, and it was much colder.
If the weather is less than perfect you will find that some riders will skip the official route and head up the A38 to Gloucester for instance.
So don't worry if you happen to be in a group that goes off route, on my 1st go I found myself cycling on the A48 dual carriageway all the way to Newport , must have been 30 of us - a long snake of flashing leds ...

You say you have already done Cardiff Bristol Cardiff in awful weather solo, so you will be fine on this ride for fitness etc.
There may be some in shorts with a route sheet stuffed in the leg grippers, brrr. There was last year.

Here is an alt route for getting out of Cardiff Gate and going through Newport, http://goo.gl/maps/jWVHF
You may find yourself in a group that goes this way. Just a heads up.

And personally I might buy some food at the petrol station on my way out of Monmouth, in case the new cafe at Mitchel Troy doesnt have an "audax" menu.

from Newport to Cardiff I'll be on the A48 because its likely to be dark.
Cu at the start, Blue Ribble and my best aldi top.

Ian

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #28 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:28:31 pm »
Cheers for the encouragement.  I think I'm worrying a lot because it's my first and I want to actually do it so much.  If I'd already done loads then I'm sure I wouldn't feel so bad about ditching it if the weather was dangerous.

I was just going to come here on my own anyway - the latest forecast on the beeb is for heavy rain Friday and a dry Saturday- both days well above freezing.  That's much more encouraging  :thumbsup:  Albeit, still a long range 'cast.

I'll keep a look out or friendly types - thanks.  I'll most likely be on red/black BMC although I haven't ruled the Trek Hybrid out completely wet.

What is an 'audax' menu? 8-)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

caerau

« Reply #29 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:31:32 pm »
Heh, that alternative route is what ridewithGPS automatically filled in for the return leg - I gave in to resisting entropy and allowed it so my Garmin might try to force me that way anyway.

« Reply #30 on: 23 January, 2013, 04:23:03 pm »
The last bit after Bassaleg is lovely. Nice final climb over Pen y LAN. One year there was a massive low full moon and a stunning view over Cardiff bay. One of the most memorable moments.

Don't fret C. Just do the ride, at your own pace, but give yourself 30 minutes max at the stops. Take high carb low fat snack with you and eat 250 calories worth every half hour. Make sure you drink plenty, especially at the start.

« Reply #31 on: 23 January, 2013, 04:37:15 pm »
Agreed the view over pen y LAN is great. But  because ive faffed at mitchel troy too much  , I'm often in the mood to just get back quick by then and cash in my cavery coupons. Watch out for potholes on the descent btw.

caerau

« Reply #32 on: 23 January, 2013, 04:41:25 pm »
That view sounds nice.  I've been doing lunchtime runs to conquer the Thornhill rd climb up Caerphilly mountain over the last couple of months  - one one occasion I came down the Rhiwbina hill on the way back and you could see the Millenium Stadium, City centre and Bay all in one view - very nice indeed.

250 Calories every half hour - too much maths for me already. ;-)
I've found on 70+ milers that I eat about half a snackbar and maybe one gel when I bring one - plus I make about 2 litres of homemade isotonic (ribena + salt mmmm).  I'm planning on bringing two bars with me for this one - with cafe stops on top I think that should be enough, I've not bonked yet.  I'm not a newbie to long distances, just audaxing - albeit probably still inexperienced.
On my Cardiff- Bristol and back ride I managed to leave my snackbars at home! Won't be doing that this time :facepalm:

« Reply #33 on: 23 January, 2013, 05:32:10 pm »
Don't fret C. Just do the ride, at your own pace, but give yourself 30 minutes max at the stops. Take high carb low fat snack with you and eat 250 calories worth every half hour. Make sure you drink plenty, especially at the start.

Wise words.
I aim to demolish most of a packet of fig rolls by Slimbridge and then have beans and egg on toast.
Tri carb in the bidons  and sausages and bananas as a snack... big crumble and custard at monmouth and a cavery at the end.
proper hydration will help you feel like eating and aid your digestion. a winter audax can be more about eating than cycling  :thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: 23 January, 2013, 05:36:02 pm »
Agreed the view over pen y LAN is great. But  because ive faffed at mitchel troy too much  , I'm often in the mood to just get back quick by then and cash in my cavery coupons. Watch out for potholes on the descent btw.

No time limit on the Carvery vouchers I linked to...but you'll need a mate It's 2 for £10.

« Reply #35 on: 23 January, 2013, 05:45:51 pm »

No time limit on the Carvery vouchers I linked to...but you'll need a mate It's 2 for £10.
[/quote]

2 meals for a tenner sounds great value! do i need a mate? nom nom  :thumbsup:

« Reply #36 on: 23 January, 2013, 05:49:16 pm »
Err...think so...they are all you can eat places aren't they?

caerau

« Reply #37 on: 23 January, 2013, 05:49:58 pm »
Infinite vegetables anyway isn't it?
I suppose you could get a second helping of the meat too. ;D

« Reply #38 on: 23 January, 2013, 05:56:45 pm »
I'm a veggie so they usually have some huge veggie option. Either way I won't be eating much at Monmouth ;)

caerau

« Reply #39 on: 23 January, 2013, 06:08:47 pm »
Well I work at Cardiff Uni, i may have been distracted by this year's intake.

« Reply #40 on: 23 January, 2013, 06:28:55 pm »
P.s. always carry emergency food. If you start to feel shit during the ride, eat something.

« Reply #41 on: 26 January, 2013, 09:44:26 pm »
Nice day out.  The least ice I have seen in years.

caerau

« Reply #42 on: 26 January, 2013, 10:33:14 pm »
Yup. The weather was nothing short of a miracle I think given the recent conditions.

Full audax experience for me. Got lost, got a near terminal bout of puncture fairy but finished and am well happy.

And at one point a peregrine falcon ( I think) flew out of a hedge I was going past. Doubt I'll ever see that again.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #43 on: 26 January, 2013, 11:29:36 pm »
It was just about perfect for me. I let the genie out of the bottle and came home well under nine hours. Mind you it was quite a small bottle, and an even smaller genie!!!

I took the safe way round and saw no ice. In fact the sun came out just about when it got light. I started slow cos I don't like riding in groups when I'm looking for ice in those first few minutes. Then I picked up the pace. Enjoyed riding with Robyn again, too. .

Cycling heatmap

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #44 on: 26 January, 2013, 11:30:48 pm »
Yup. The weather was nothing short of a miracle I think given the recent conditions.

Full audax experience for me. Got lost, got a near terminal bout of puncture fairy but finished and am well happy.

And at one point a peregrine falcon ( I think) flew out of a hedge I was going past. Doubt I'll ever see that again.

Congrats on that and it was nice to meet you. When's your next one then?

Cycling heatmap

caerau

Re: Dr Foster's Winter Warmer; 26th
« Reply #45 on: 26 January, 2013, 11:48:32 pm »
Am doing the Gospell Pass next month. 

Good to meet you too if only at the beginning. Did most solo to be honest as I got separated from the bunch at an early stage and then had to rely on Mr Garminand the official route (and even then deviated). Oddly though the one guy I did ride with for a while was Robyn.

Am now thinking about trying a 300  - I think I've been reeled in:D

« Reply #46 on: 27 January, 2013, 06:48:41 am »
Tip: Fit some mudguards for the Gospel pass. The descent from Hay Bluff is nearly always a shit fest
Congratulations on your first 200. You seemed to be going well, but I didn't see you after Slimbridge.
The Dean is a good early 300, from Oxford. There are also excellent rides from Tewkesbury. The March one is great.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #47 on: 27 January, 2013, 08:24:56 am »
Am doing the Gospell Pass next month.

Good to meet you too if only at the beginning. Did most solo to be honest as I got separated from the bunch at an early stage and then had to rely on Mr Garminand the official route (and even then deviated). Oddly though the one guy I did ride with for a while was Robyn.

Am now thinking about trying a 300  - I think I've been reeled in:D

300 rides are great and they all seem to be classics. Agreed on the Deane, but also the 3D300 and Yr Elenydd. For something a bit more of a challenge try Many Rivers to Cross, a Penzance based 300, especially when back to back with the Four Hundreds 200.....

Have you looked at doing Perms? Consider starting your 300s with the Cambrian 3A starting at Chepstow?

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #48 on: 27 January, 2013, 09:23:03 am »
For a first 300 a ride like the Elenyyd or the 3D is a big ask, especially for a guy whose build is not at all suited to climbing. Both are fairly brutal as these things go.

The Dean isn't flat, but it is not hard. The Heart of England is very benign after the first 30 miles but of course it isn't until April.

caerau

« Reply #49 on: 27 January, 2013, 10:22:08 am »
Cheers guys - I've already seen the Elenydd mentioned elsewhere - it sounds fantastic but I'm doing a sportive at the end of April so I think it would be wise to be careful and not do too much around then.  That has about 3000 m of climbing involved.  Is the tour of Pembrokeshire so it should involve lots of lovely scenery and was pretty cheap for a sportive at only £20.
Yes I'm a big chap but I'm also still shrinking and I seem to have a masochistic seeking-out-climbing streak in me too.  One day I'll probably overdo it.

Yeah I've had a look at the Perms, they're still a bit of a mystery but I had considered one of the Cambrian series.  March seems to be the month available at the moment. 

*goes off to do some research*