Author Topic: ***CoronaBonus***  (Read 8138 times)

Re: ***CoronaBonus***
« Reply #275 on: April 01, 2020, 12:20:22 pm »
Germany has cancelled April Fools Day.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #276 on: April 01, 2020, 12:26:05 pm »

Is this retrospective?
!nataS pihsroW

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #277 on: April 01, 2020, 06:59:02 pm »
Well it seems that everyone except Ribble (!) cancelled it, given the silence on my (diverse yet comprehensive) media feed :(

Oh well , this cheered me up a little:
https://twitter.com/putasinghonit/status/1244680124278001665
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #278 on: April 01, 2020, 09:43:06 pm »
Harry's Garage on youtube did an excellent April Fools featuring an MGB GT.

« Reply #279 on: April 02, 2020, 11:12:27 am »
I haven't seen a single smashed car window since the lockdown started. I don't know if the normal thieves of things in cars are scared of catching coronavirus or more likely feel they stand out too much now everything's closed and there's not a soul out (car break-ins are a nocturnal pastime round here). Or perhaps bigger opportunities have opened up for them?
Plenty round here.

Plus some bold-as-brass thefts of vehicles from farms during the day.

Thefts from gardens and houses at night.
People are desperate. Desperate people take risks.

North Yorkshire police caught 2  persons trying to pinch a quad bike from a farm near Skipton.
Pointed out that going out when no-one else was made you more visible than normal.

Local coronabonus-no tolls on Aldwark toll bridge. Not much of a bonus as it was always free for cyclists.
There is still lots of farmwork going on here. So we get battered rusty vehicles going in and out (dead-end road, 5km long).

As it is a rural road, quite a few people assume it is quiet and use it for jogging, dog emptying and 'cycle commuting'. Been busier last few weeks than every before.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #280 on: April 02, 2020, 12:40:13 pm »
Working from home means I can have soup followed by crumble and custard for lunch. A luxury not practical in the office.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #281 on: April 02, 2020, 01:25:09 pm »
Got to Waitrose at 08:15, no queue so straight in. Usually use Morrisons as it's opposite The Malt Shovel but, of course, TMS is shut (end of days?).
I spend a lot more in Waitrose - the prices aren't too much higher on the usual items but there are so many tempting goodies... Still, TMS' loss is W's gain (Third World Problem?).
BN: buses change next week so might not be able to carry on.
Given my age and other issues it might be better if I didn't go to shops (except local offie for BEERS).
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #282 on: April 02, 2020, 01:42:33 pm »
On a serious note, I wonder if the unintentional benefit in knife crime reduction might be embedded, somehow.

« Reply #283 on: April 02, 2020, 01:57:28 pm »
I've been pondering the effect of lockdown on drug dealing. But I daresay the police have other priorities now.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #284 on: April 02, 2020, 02:02:51 pm »
I've been pondering the effect of lockdown on drug dealing. But I daresay the police have other priorities now.

I did see somewhere that the Mexican cartels are suffering under coronavirus border regs, and that prices are soaring.

AndrĂ©'s shoe-shop chain has gone belly-up.  Now that's a shame.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #285 on: April 02, 2020, 02:12:53 pm »
I know the whole thing with ventilators is very serious, but I do like the way all the universities have had a crack at coming up with them.
Cambridge uni via their TTP branch teamed up with Dyson, only Dyson seemed to decided to run it as kind of a publicity barrage, and you see very little mention of Cambridge Uni,  but as it's Dyson the govt have put in an order, even before it being approved.
UCL teamed up with Mercedes and created some kind of valve for CPAP machines that actually works and is going into production.
Oxford and KCL teamed up and created something out of the Great Egg Race, but it works and after lobbying,the govt have ordered it. After watching the video it genuinely seems so simple.
https://twitter.com/QueensCollegeOx/status/1243551706698453002?s=09
Bonus points for Open University throwback presentation

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #286 on: April 02, 2020, 08:55:52 pm »

Chorley Police posted on social media yesterday morning that they are issuing a limited number of drug dealing licences and encouraged would-be licensees to come to their local police station, bringing samples of their products for assessment ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #287 on: April 02, 2020, 09:06:45 pm »

Chorley Police posted on social media yesterday morning that they are issuing a limited number of drug dealing licences and encouraged would-be licensees to come to their local police station, bringing samples of their products for assessment ;D

I'm quite amused by today's BBC Essex post about the county's fuzz saying that going out to pick up drugs isn't classed as "essential" travel.

Mainly because of the number of people in the replies who thought the cops meant collecting granny's prescription was verboten, as opposed to scoring an eighth of skunk or getting sorted for Es and whizz.  ;D :facepalm:

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.
And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche