Author Topic: That Emily Chappell  (Read 5289 times)

Re: That Emily Chappell
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 11:24:38 am »
That . . .  looks like my idea of heavenly cycling. Ice - no cars - clear vistas.

Of course the reality is probably far harsher than I can comprehend. Would it be lonelier in the middle of a tundra, no contact with the outside world, than alone in the middle of a city or crowded campsite?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 04:33:26 pm »

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 05:46:20 pm »
And it looks like a book is on it way ... Emily Chappell’s Unburdened: The Life and Opinions of a London Cycle Courier will be published by Guardian Faber in 2016 ... found  at the bottom of the linked above article.
#bollockstobrexit

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 10:02:54 am »
Goodness! Well spotted, Woolly, and well done (and, I feel sure, well written, though obviously we can't say yet), Emily!
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2014, 09:43:14 am »
http://thatemilychappell.com/2014/11/on-doing-well/

A really nice post from Emily there.
Milk please, no sugar.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 05:07:28 pm »
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 10:38:17 am »
Emily will be appearing live in person on stage tonight in a theatre near you! Or at least, in April in London, Bristol, Manchester and Cambridge.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 11:30:09 am »
And hopefully in our front room with plenty tea and cake in May :)
#bollockstobrexit

folkdevil

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 09:40:49 am »
Some gorgeous photos of Vancouver-area Pacific coast recently posted on twitter...

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2020, 08:34:05 am »
There I was, sitting up in bed drinking my morning cuppa and reading Chapter 10 of her latest book when I received a tweet from Emily celebrating the fact that she had won the Women’s cycling writer of the Year award.

Great way to celebrate YACF’s 12 birthday!
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2020, 08:54:16 am »
Congratulations to her! (Hmm, she won't read that here)

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2020, 09:18:29 am »
I spied her at the London Bike Show last year while sitting on the floor having lunch:

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2020, 10:01:49 am »
Great news, Congrats, Emily.  I must read the book again.
Advena ego sum in Terra

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2020, 01:59:05 pm »
I didn't know until reading the book how close Emily was to Mike Hall. Her chapter on grief is heart-rending.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2020, 03:16:16 pm »
Yep, it struck me that whereas the first book, ostensibly about being a cycle courier, is really about the experience of being Emily Chappell, the second one, ostensibly about long-distance racing, is really about friendship and grief. Which is not surprising; the most readable books about cycling (probably other 'sports' too) tend to be really about something else.

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2020, 01:51:48 pm »
Was on BBC world service , in conversation with Fiona of Transcontinental Race fame.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cszj30

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2020, 07:12:52 pm »
That was interesting. Especially liked when (I can't remember now if it was Emily or Fiona) said what she liked about long-distance racing was that although it's tough, it's simple. A bit like cycle touring!

I was struck by how many references they made to Emily being from Wales. She doesn't live there now!

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2020, 07:19:07 pm »
I was struck by how many references they made to Emily being from Wales. She doesn't live there now!

I can't quite wrap my head round the idea of her actually *living* anywhere.  In my mind she spends every night on some random person's floor or halfway up a mountain onna bike.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2020, 07:30:54 pm »
Probably in her mind too. But the demands of Real LifeTM intervene, even for her.

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2020, 09:53:26 pm »
Emily's latest book was delivered by bike courier, from my local feminist co-operative bookshop earlier.   It's been wiped down with Dettol & added to the teetering pile of books to be read.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark