Author Topic: Shoe fit  (Read 659 times)

Shoe fit
« on: 08 February, 2013, 01:45:22 pm »
More specifically safety boot/shoe fit. Are they suppose to be looser than boots without a steel toe cap (which won't stretch)? I tried on some and they all seem to be bigger for the same size than my other shoes.

And what about pull-on boots? I've never worn any before, are they suppose to be tight fitting. One pair I tried were huge, my usual size is 43/44 or about 9, but the 7 still had a gap between my toes and the front.

Maybe I should be wearing thicker socks.

Re: Shoe fit
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2013, 01:46:48 pm »
Sized to allow for thick socks, without which most (even the DM ones) are horrid (and some are horrid anyway!). I'd strongly suggest you look for some with kevlar toe caps in.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2013, 03:27:54 pm »
Yes, usually generously sized for bigger socks.  If you want to get the pull-on boots (rigger boots) make sure you don't need to go on to Railtrack property with them as they don't allow them, and there are a few others as well.  I've never seen kevlar toed ones, but I have always managed fine with the standard ones, in fact my current safety shoes (they are allowed on construction sites as long as no one notices they don't have ankle protectioon) are really comfortable and my shoe of choice when doing a lot of walking like visiting sites in London.  But at the end of the day, shoes are like saddles, what suits one person etc.

« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2013, 03:31:56 pm »
I have steel toe capped slippers :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2013, 04:18:20 pm »
They do all seem to be way too wide, certainly Totectors are.  I got approval to have tailor made ones for a previous employment, after a submission to them complaining about the crap ones they supplied, from my foot anatomy consultant and chiropodist (who coincidentally also happened to be my wife  ;D ;D ;D  )

I changed jobs soon afterwards, so never got to find out how much they'd cost.
Wombat