Author Topic: Asparagus & Strawberries 400 from Manningtree (11/05/2013)  (Read 20299 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Asparagus & Strawberries 400 from Manningtree (11/05/2013)
« Reply #100 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:26:33 pm »
By the way, for those who were asking about OrangeAndy's Scotland to Lowestoft ride (which he started on Saturday), I have had the following texts:

Saturday, 18:42
In Crief, 50 miles N Edinburgh. Ahead of schedule. Another update tomorrow.

Today, 08:34
Arrived Harrogate 1:30am, felt v tired. Left 7:30 this morning, now in Wetherby having breakfast. Andy.

And just now (21:21)
Hi all. In Spalding, a little more south then turn East for Lowestoft with a tail wind, hope to be there for breakfast.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #101 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:03:09 pm »
First 400 for me as well, all week I was thinking " get to Wells before the chip shop closes ", as there may be little chance of food and drink after that. There were many objectives for the day, complete 400k in 24 hours as LEL preparation, actually managed 404 at 24 hours so on track. Secondly, complete the next stage of the Essex SR, thirdly, accumulate more points towards 100 target. Now got 31 and on target for 4 x SR and RRTY. Even if things go pearshaped I just need Hereward the Wake, UK National, LEL and Flatlands to have a good season, everything else is a bonus.

More importantly, after one or two setbacks in March, enjoy every ride, meet new friends, especially having joined the forum recently, and improve on every aspect of long distance cycling, having learned from many mistakes. Stayed in the Travelodge nearby overnight, and met up with some familiar faces at Manningtree station, fully rested and ready to go. Being a notorious slow starter, everyone flew past early on, and as happens on every ride before the first control the little voices came into my head asking if I really fancied riding all that way. First control out of the way, time in hand and a tailwind, happy days, next stop the cafe at Halesworth for tea and cake, or so I thought. Had planned for something hot at 100k, 218k and 297k. Got there and it was fulll of cyclists waiting to be served, thought better of it and bought a BLT sandwich and Banana milkshake at the supermarket instead.
On to Reedham Ferry, caught up with a big group and the police 4x4, and so to Acle to pick up more supplies. Then the rains came, first thought was no finish, no Essex SR medal, so no point complaining, get on with it. Tesco at Aylesham was next stop, looking for a cheap drinks bottle, having forgotten mine. No joy so just put Powerade in the cages upside down. Passed Blickling Hall, very impressive, I like period houses, and Suffolk and Norfolk are blessed with many fine examples. On to Wells, bottle of coke, tea and fish and chips to prepare for the night section, then out again before dark, with 15 hours to complete the return.
Kept meeting up with Wilkyboy and riding partner doing yoga at the side of the road, plus I-Cycle. Passed through Fakenham without comment from the drunks, then an attractive lady in pink walking her dog in Swaffham around midnight called out greetings, I thought I might be invited round for something warm but I had to banish those thoughts. Barton arrived, only to be thwarted by elf and safety, so a quick Snickers bar and also applied some Sudocrem to the undercarriage, hoping not to be captured on CCTV.
Tempted by the BP garage in Newmarket, but settled briefly in a bus stop at the other end of town. It was more of a perch than a seat so pushed on , knowing that there was a bus stop in Balsham. Guess what, it was fully occupied, so rode on until dawn when my lights ran out before Saffron, but I could see where I was going. A brief nap on the Town Hall steps, accompanied by I-Cycle in the other doorway, and saw the Tomsk crew arrive. I knew the last section was lumpy, and judging by the total elevation figures there was a lot to come. I thought I would do it bit by bit, taking a rest as necessary, but in the end did not stop, passing the riders at Sible Hedingham cafe before being passed by the tandem for at least the fifth time that day.
Finished at the Lawford garage for a caramel flapjack reward, then dropped down to the station cafe to meet a few more who were having breakfast. Suitably refreshed, drove to Chelmsford to see my parents, had to refuse the offer of lunch as I could not face any more food for a while. That soon passed and had a Macdonalds on the way home.
Pleased to have stuck to the game plan and finished with plenty of time to spare, just over 3 hours off the bike for refuelling and hedge stops, now ready to take on a programme of 3 x 400 and 2 x 600 by the end of June. Next week the carbon comes out for some speed training, doing Tom's 200 perm Boudiccas Revenge on Saturday then a Wiggle 150K sportive round Essex on Sunday.
Thanks to Wilkyboy for your comments about my riding endurance, that is my German efficiency, use time off the bike well and maximise the time on it, and no heroics. That way you can trundle along for days, which of course is the objective for LEL.   

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #102 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:05:11 pm »
Great sharp pics Ed! Love the one of the chippie in Wells - flock of birds on the roof and flock of bikes at the entrance!

Good reading the various summaries of the ride. The tales of cold dark night, Audax hotel stays, encounters with drunks at 24h garages almost makes me feel like a cheat for opting of going home to sleep in a warm bed rather than having a proper Audax experience!   :facepalm:

Interesting incident at the Barton Mills garage. I was about to pay when someone suddenly asked "hey is anyone driving that van"? Turned to the right and saw a big white van slowly coming to a stop 1/2 m from the entrance. Turns out the driver who was also inside the shop had forgotten the brake. And the slight slope from the pump towards the shop was enough to get it rolling. Luckily no damage. Bit of a scare as the van came to a stop very close to my parked bike...  :hand:

Btw, did anyone see the strange pedal-powered vehicle some chap was travelling in close to Lawford a few miles from the finish? Looked like some kind recumbent with a body built around it. Unfortunately didn't have a camera, and was longing too much for the station cafe to stop and ask him what he was up to...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #103 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:07:06 pm »
Some great photos and reports - perhaps one of you might like to do a full write-up for Arrivee? I'd appreciate it if you could send me some photos anyway....

Here are a few of mine: Randonneur's picnic in Ixworth  - Richard Thomas and rob, huggy and oaky in the background. -

Just missed the ferry, damn! oaky couldn't resist the comment of 'chain's a bit slack....'-

Beyond the thousand yard stare, scarecrow festival at Wighton - hey those are Gore shorts!! -

« Reply #104 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:07:42 pm »
By the way, for those who were asking about OrangeAndy's Scotland to Lowestoft ride (which he started on Saturday)

How many km? sound like he put my London-Cumbria ride to shame.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #105 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:22:14 pm »
Thanks for the write ups guys. Love the photos and the bike Ed.

rob

« Reply #106 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:39:36 pm »
Why am I sat down eating in all these photos ? My legs are telling me I did a lot of miles this weekend, but the evidence says otherwise.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #107 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:49:53 pm »
By the way, for those who were asking about OrangeAndy's Scotland to Lowestoft ride (which he started on Saturday)

He did say but I can't remember. I think it was above 1000km though.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #108 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:51:59 pm »
Blimey, that's impressive!

« Reply #109 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:56:50 pm »
Why am I sat down eating in all these photos ? My legs are telling me I did a lot of miles this weekend, but the evidence says otherwise.

So you're not the guy who man each control?

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #110 on: 14 May, 2013, 08:19:23 am »
First 400 for me as well, all week I was thinking " get to Wells before the chip shop closes ", as there may be little chance of food and drink after that. There were many objectives for the day, complete 400k in 24 hours as LEL preparation, actually managed 404 at 24 hours so on track. Secondly, complete the next stage of the Essex SR, thirdly, accumulate more points towards 100 target. Now got 31 and on target for 4 x SR and RRTY. Even if things go pearshaped I just need Hereward the Wake, UK National, LEL and Flatlands to have a good season, everything else is a bonus.

Nice write up, Big Saxon  :thumbsup: 

It's interesting how well it went for you by properly pacing yourself and minimising time in controls.  It's great info for my first 600 this coming weekend -- perhaps yoga isn't helping my averages after all  :facepalm:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #111 on: 14 May, 2013, 08:48:41 am »
Another text from OrangeAndy:

Hi all and good morning. Have arrived, but I prefer the west to the east. 1035km in 76 hours 30 minutes. Might have another go. But not this year! Andy.

« Reply #112 on: 14 May, 2013, 09:06:08 am »

He did say but I can't remember. I think it was above 1000km though.

I'm guessing it's this one:-

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JT01/

Lowestoft - Arndnamurchan

(It can be ridden in either direction).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #113 on: 14 May, 2013, 09:09:03 am »
Yeah, it must be that one. He did tell me and I am familiar with the two names (Wowbagger did the ride not so long ago) but somehow I don't remember hearing Ardnamurchan but I can't hear that well so no great surprise!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #114 on: 14 May, 2013, 12:42:52 pm »
I too have enjoyed all the write ups, and have little to add to the overall experience reported but here are a couple.

This was my 2nd 400km ride and stage 3 of my quest for the Essex SR medal.
An insanely quick, for me anyway, first 100km to Halesworth may have contributed to me struggling in the final stages but trying to keep up with Tomsk and Oaky to tow me along overrode my thoughts of a more steady pace.  Also, a now obvious illness must have been getting ready to take me down for a few days, hence my late contribution to the thread.

It was always my intention to ride through to the end without any sleep stop, which I did except for a couple of snooze moments, one on the steps of Saffron Walden Barclays Bank after ATM control and another in Sible Headingham cafe over an unfinished breakfast.  Having ridden the G&YF and A&S rides like this I now need to decide on a statergy for The Flatlands 600k in September - Audax 2* or 3* hotel or Travelodge for a 4 to 6 hour stop?

I would like to thank all of our fellow audaxers that I thought were supposed to be friends for waving at us left on the South bank as the Reedham Ferry pulled away.  The ferry did of course return for further customers but with only 3 cyclists on board the ferryman seemed keen to turn back when already a 3rd the way across to pick up a good number more and the Police (photos earlier in the thread).  No matter, it just delayed our arrival in Acle to the point where Tomsk & Oaky were almost ready to push on.  Time for me to revert to Plan A and ride at my own pace. 
The torrential rain hit me about 5pm, right on forecasted time.  I was glad to have packed full wet weather gear in my overstuffed pannier.  The pannier was intentionally packed for everything I might need for a 600k ride to prove to myself what I really needed to take on The Flatlands, in the end I used all but the 2nd pair of dry socks I'd packed.
I again arrived at the next control to wave off Oaky & Tomsk.  I sat down with pie, chips & beans in Platten's Chippy and ate as much as I could, then went to change in to dry clothes - why didn't I do that first?!?  I happened upon the disabled and baby changer toilet at the back of Platten's and used the baby changer shelf to full effect as a dry place for holding fresh baselayers to put on and wet gear to pack away.  Such facilities should also be highlighted in the Audaxer's preferred places to visit!
As Wilky mentioned in one of his posts I waited for him and Dave to be ready for the off, not an entirely altruistic action as I fancied riding with others to share the workload, sorry if I didn't put as much effort is as you guys. Just as I was really getting in to the rythm of the riding in our threesome the Fox & Hounds Pub appeared where I peeled off to meet up with Tomsk & Oaky again.

The rest is pretty well documented by others, except that much of my climbing in the last few kms was spent walking, arrivee was about 10:40.

Btw, did anyone see the strange pedal-powered vehicle some chap was travelling in close to Lawford a few miles from the finish? Looked like some kind recumbent with a body built around it. Unfortunately didn't have a camera, and was longing too much for the station cafe to stop and ask him what he was up to...
I did see this vehicle and the Dutchman pedalling it flagged me down about 5km outside of Manningtree to ask directions to Ipswich - I was tempted to say "I wouldn't start from here", but I did my best to assist with my sleep deprived and weary brain.  I regret not taking any photos of the strange amphibious vehicle which had been cycled all over, too many places were mentioned for me to recall from the malfunctioning memory but having googled some of what I do recall I think some of this refers - the name on the printed on the back was ad-infinitum (at least I'm sure it was).
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=93599
There seems to be very little available on the Internet considering the undertaking the Dutchman was in the middle of, or may be reaching the end.  He told me he was heading for Ipswich where he would the cycle/sail across the North Sea back home to The Netherlands.
EDIT: This is the chappie - http://www.willpowered.nl/en/de-bootfiets/
Looking at his last plotted position he made it to Ipswich! Heading for Lowestoft.

September seems a long way off right now before The Flatlands, some training rides to keep the legs moving will be required....
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #115 on: 14 May, 2013, 01:18:26 pm »

That bootfiets is just the thing for some of OD's routes.

Very wise of the rider to have donned hi-iz in the videos - he might have been invisible otherwise.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #116 on: 14 May, 2013, 08:06:53 pm »
I too have enjoyed all the write ups, and have little to add to the overall experience reported but here are a couple.

I did see this vehicle and the Dutchman pedalling it flagged me down about 5km outside of Manningtree to ask directions to Ipswich - I was tempted to say "I wouldn't start from here", but I did my best to assist with my sleep deprived and weary brain.  I regret not taking any photos of the strange amphibious vehicle which had been cycled all over, too many places were mentioned for me to recall from the malfunctioning memory but having googled some of what I do recall I think some of this refers - the name on the printed on the back was ad-infinitum (at least I'm sure it was).
There seems to be very little available on the Internet considering the undertaking the Dutchman was in the middle of, or may be reaching the end.  He told me he was heading for Ipswich where he would the cycle/sail across the North Sea back home to The Netherlands.
EDIT: This is the chappie - http://www.willpowered.nl/en/de-bootfiets/
Looking at his last plotted position he made it to Ipswich! Heading for Lowestoft.

September seems a long way off right now before The Flatlands, some training rides to keep the legs moving will be required....

Yes, that was him! Wow, should have taken the opportunity to talk him and ask for his autograph! Quite an adventurer it seems! Looked a bit dangerous though, the big quite low vehicle moving at a low speed taking up so much space. It just suddenly appeared in front of me out of nowhere at a road bend. Can imagine at the wrong spot he'd have unpleasant close calls with cars... Definitely up there among the most surprising things randomly encountered during an Audax...

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #117 on: 14 May, 2013, 11:32:43 pm »
Hello all – delayed contribution to this thread as I had to wait for my new forum account (back half of orange tandem) to be approved!
This was our first 400km (it seems there were quite a lot of us first-timers) and we would like to say thank you to everyone who chatted to us and especially to Tom for organising a great event, and for letting us “hitch a lift” back from Sible Hedingham which saved us having to think about route finding for the last few miles.
We had no idea really what to expect as it was by far the longest we had ridden in 24 hours, our main aim was just to ride at our own pace. Best tip we had I think was to not try to get round too quickly and end up spending time in deserted towns. Consequently our timing was spot on for a breakfast stop at the Corner Café, we got there just as it was opening at about 06.50. The tea and beans on toast made all the difference to me and resulted in the final stretch being a pleasure (albeit a rather lumpy one) rather than a chore.
Low spots were getting wet (although it was totally expected) and spotting the 5 star bus shelter but seeing it occupied. Also noticing and remarking upon the open garage at Newmarket but somehow failing to convey a desire to stop to the one in charge of the brakes!
On the plus side, lots of excellent countryside, the Reedham ferry and the barn owl(s). Did anyone else see it/them?  It was on the section just before Lakenheath – first of all one flew across the road about 10m in front of us, and then another one (or the same one again) flew alongside us and briefly stopped on a fence post about 3m from us – beautifully white against the darkness and so silent.
We finished just after 9 which was way earlier than our booked train back to London - but Anglia Trains displayed their usual flexibility and we had no issue getting on the 09.53, with the train manager cheerfully helping us secure the bike.

red marley

« Reply #118 on: 15 May, 2013, 07:59:09 am »
Yes I too encountered a barn owl a little earlier along that leg. It flew parallel to me for maybe 400m along the road. Magical.

« Reply #119 on: 15 May, 2013, 12:06:27 pm »
Also noticing and remarking upon the open garage at Newmarket but somehow failing to convey a desire to stop to the one in charge of the brakes!
As the bhoabt (back half of a blue tandem) I can surely relate to this!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #120 on: 15 May, 2013, 12:19:07 pm »
Also noticing and remarking upon the open garage at Newmarket but somehow failing to convey a desire to stop to the one in charge of the brakes!
As the bhoabt (back half of a blue tandem) I can surely relate to this!

stoker operated secondary rear hub brake ftw

« Reply #121 on: 15 May, 2013, 02:48:18 pm »
stoker operated secondary rear hub brake ftw

Can't help but see how evil that can be, applied brakes (especially on bhoot's Roberts tandem with a bar-end friction shifter to apply the rear brake), ask the other half if his legs is tired and would like to pull over for a bit.

Note to self - let girlfriend be in charge of the tandem (after getting her Cycle Training).

Oh yes - great to meet you bhoot, glad to see you made the entire route at the station.

« Reply #122 on: 15 May, 2013, 02:55:08 pm »
Actually got me thinking this; why does the women tend to be the stoker on a tandem?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #123 on: 15 May, 2013, 03:12:50 pm »
Actually got me thinking this; why does the women tend to be the stoker on a tandem?

Because men are control freaks.

The main answer is to do with strength - you typically want the stronger rider up front (I understand it's very different on racing tandems though) as they have to hold the bike and stoker up at junctions etc.

But it's not essential - there are teams out there with the larger rider at the rear (a team with a blind stoker for example cannot choose where that rider goes on the bike).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Chris S

« Reply #124 on: 15 May, 2013, 03:16:28 pm »
There would be a lot to be said for being able to swap places.

I've seen a couple of tandem teams who could do it. We can't - we're too different in height.