Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 960239 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10150 on: 31 July, 2023, 01:54:57 pm »
Miniao (& mrsao) did Oppenbarbie, I stuck with OppenOnly. Miniao gave Oppen 7/10 & Barbie 4/10.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #10151 on: 31 July, 2023, 02:06:14 pm »
Has anyone done Barbenheimer yet?  And in which order?

Booked for this weekend. A combination of godawful weather in the sunlituplands/northernpowerhouse and a reluctance on my part to commit, meant no seats for either available last weekend.
Plumped for just Barbie, in the end.

We laughed a lot. It's not a kids film. Ken is the best character.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #10152 on: 02 August, 2023, 09:53:10 pm »
Of Time and the City

A 2008 film by Terence Davies.

"is a heartfelt and even ecstatic study of Liverpool, the home town of his 1950s boyhood. The movie is brashly emotional and sentimental - sometimes angry, more often hilarious. Nothing has given me more pleasure"

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/oct/31/of-time-and-the-city

Available on https://mubi.com/en/films/of-time-and-the-city/player

Worth it for every single frame of the visuals alone - according to Slope🤗

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10153 on: 04 August, 2023, 04:30:49 pm »
Subtitles would be good in parts as andyoxon says.  I would hope that there will be subtitles eventually.

As mentioned in this story, it's a common problem with Christopher Nolan's films:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bbc-news-jane-hill-slams-30628403
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10154 on: 04 August, 2023, 04:49:13 pm »
Oppenheimer.

Echo all of the comments above, does anyone else remember the TV drama series on the same topic starring Sam Waterson from 1980?

A

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10155 on: 04 August, 2023, 05:03:37 pm »
Sink the Bismarck!  Not bad for CGI-free 1960, with all the usual suspects from Kenneth More on down.  A lot of the footage used real Swordfishes and a lot was shot aboard real ships. 
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10156 on: 04 August, 2023, 05:04:48 pm »
Subtitles would be good in parts as andyoxon says.  I would hope that there will be subtitles eventually.

As mentioned in this story, it's a common problem with Christopher Nolan's films:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bbc-news-jane-hill-slams-30628403

'parently... wrt to Oppendialogue
However, some of the movie's dialogue portions are difficult to discern.   Nolan tells Insider that he doesn't have his actors come back after filming and do additional dialogue recordings in the film's post-production, known in the business as ADR.

"I like to use the performance that was given in the moment rather than the actor revoice it later," Nolan said. "Which is an artistic choice that some people disagree with, and that's their right."

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #10157 on: 05 August, 2023, 10:02:38 am »
Oppenheimer.

Echo all of the comments above, does anyone else remember the TV drama series on the same topic starring Sam Waterson from 1980?

A

Yes, and we found it on that there YouTube and downloaded it (before the Beeb cotton on and have it removed) for upcoming viewing.  The bits I had a quick look at reminded me of the old Tinker Tailor - it'll be slow compared with modern drama, but I remember it as being very good at the time.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10158 on: 05 August, 2023, 08:38:02 pm »
Top Gun - Maverick.  It does what it sets out to do, i.e. replicate the first film very well.  Utterly ludicrous throughout, but that's expected.  Funny that they never mention the name of the hostile nation that refines uranium and still has F-14s and give it a snowy coastline to try and avoid a fatwa  ;D

There are many Star Wars references - the canyon attack, the small target ("less than 3 metres" - it was 2 metres on the Death Star), and the enemy pilots' obscured features.  Mind you, Star Wars borrows from 633 Squadron in many respects of the final attack.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10159 on: 05 August, 2023, 09:01:37 pm »
Started to watch the third of the last trilogy of Star Wars last night. We had to stop watching it within 30 minutes, and we only wanted that long because we left it on while I searched for something else. It just lacked a coherent story. Not in a ‘it’ll take a while to get going’ sort of way, as it jumped all over the place. No, each section of the scene setting cuts lacked any attraction. It wasn’t that the acting was bad, though the players didn’t seem that interested in their roles, it just lacked any redeeming features at all. The set design and CGI lacked any shape, the story was dogged and trite. In short, it was tripe.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #10160 on: 05 August, 2023, 10:12:16 pm »
The Last Rider - Greg Lemond comeback in 1989. Great film changed my opinion of Greg Lemond (and Laurent Fignon)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10161 on: 07 August, 2023, 10:19:41 am »
Started to watch the third of the last trilogy of Star Wars last night. We had to stop watching it within 30 minutes, and we only wanted that long because we left it on while I searched for something else. It just lacked a coherent story. Not in a ‘it’ll take a while to get going’ sort of way, as it jumped all over the place. No, each section of the scene setting cuts lacked any attraction. It wasn’t that the acting was bad, though the players didn’t seem that interested in their roles, it just lacked any redeeming features at all. The set design and CGI lacked any shape, the story was dogged and trite. In short, it was tripe.
It was a turkey.  Ironic, because the preceding film was quite good.  (Literally) Resurrecting characters is usually an indication that a franchise has nuked the fridge.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10162 on: 08 August, 2023, 09:54:55 pm »
The Last Rider - Greg Lemond comeback in 1989. Great film changed my opinion of Greg Lemond (and Laurent Fignon)
Saw that at DCA on Friday, having read "we were young and care free" I was kind of aware of how fignon was, and I preferred lemond when I watched the large 80s tours as a kid tbh.

Having Delgado view as well I think really helped tell the story.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10163 on: 10 August, 2023, 10:04:52 am »
The Victors last night on some Freeview channel or other. I'd never heard of this film before. Shot in black and white, directed by Carl Foreman. A lot different from yer average war film. There's a scene where an unamed GI gets shot for desertion in the snow ,while the soundtrack has Sinatra's "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" Apparently that scene is based on a real event (minus Ole Blue Eyes though).  I missed the beginning so will keep an eye out for when it's on again. Recommended.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10164 on: 12 August, 2023, 12:14:46 pm »
Oppenheimer last night. As noted elsewhere, at first I thought three hours was a bit long, then as we got nearer the end, thought "how is he going to fit it all in?"

Nice non speaking  role (as far as I could tell) for Jack Quaid playing Richard Feynman. We could tell he was Richard Feynman as he was playing bongos.

Edit: My Young Lady points out that Richard Feynman does speak. He's the one at the test who sits in his car, saying the windscreen glass will stop the UV. She knows this as she's the sort of person who reads up on such details. I don't see this as a bad thing.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #10165 on: 12 August, 2023, 12:47:48 pm »
The Phone Call (short film) on Kanopy. Only about 20 minutes long but incredibly moving and superbly acted.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #10166 on: 12 August, 2023, 09:02:33 pm »
Queen and Slim, an American road movie with leads from, somewhat improbably, Peterborough and Camden Town. A first feature but very well acted.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #10167 on: 16 August, 2023, 12:19:29 pm »
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3

If you like this kind of thing -  well done, funny & verging on the poignant at times.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10168 on: 16 August, 2023, 01:11:56 pm »
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.  Saw that with a bunch of other mildly-inebriated student oaves some years after it came out and laughed quite a lot, really. Started it last night and endured most of an hour before baling: hadn't remembered it as being so bloody stupid.

Unfortunately, getting drunk is no longer an option these days.

« Reply #10169 on: 17 August, 2023, 10:44:39 am »
The Banshees of Inisherin. Fuck me that was cheerful. Do not watch if you're already suffering the black dog.
Watched this on the plane back from the States last week.  Beautifully shot but I completely agree with your assessment.
(click to show/hide)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10170 on: 17 August, 2023, 01:23:55 pm »
The Banshees of Inisherin. Fuck me that was cheerful. Do not watch if you're already suffering the black dog.
Watched this on the plane back from the States last week.  Beautifully shot but I completely agree with your assessment.
(click to show/hide)

The main story is bleak enough but...
(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10171 on: 19 August, 2023, 11:10:47 am »
Based on real life:

Painkiller

Unlike drug traffickers who are never dishonest about who they are and what they do, this group pretends to care about the welfare of human beings. They’re doctors. I think it’s actually the greatest betrayal of public trust in history.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #10172 on: 19 August, 2023, 09:24:44 pm »
I just watched Avatar: The Way of Water. Like the first film, it's very pretty, but very full of stereotype and clichés. The noble savage and nasty military baddy are probably the worst examples, but there are several others.

The baddies are not quite so insanely nasty and utterly lacking in anything remotely resembling empathy, they're merely very nasty, and not quite as completely stupid. The story isn't a great deal different from the first film either, just done in water with swimming beasties instead of flying beasties and jungle.

I do wonder what they'll do with the other films, since they've exhausted the obvious variation of the environment. They've used water, jungle and the air. They could possibly do something in an arctic or dessert environment, or maybe there are vacuum evolved Na'vi? They may have to resort to actually trying to vary the storyline.

The characters are rather flat, and most of the acting is tolerable, although I presume a lot was achieved with motion capture and studio recording, given the extensive use of CGI. Even on a small screen the imagery was impressive, and I may try to watch it on something larger.
Actually, it is rocket science.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10173 on: 20 August, 2023, 09:10:48 am »
Zonked after ride yesterday, watched Moonfall.  God what a load of crap: trope-ridden, plug-in plot, plug-in characters, plug-in CGI, plug-in brainless Hollywood 'science'. Totally suitable for my condition, disbelief hanged by neck until dead & look at all the pretty lights.  Possibly snoozed through some of it.  Highly recommended, not.

Thks TimO, Avatar Whatever on the list now for next time.

« Reply #10174 on: 20 August, 2023, 04:52:41 pm »
Metropolis.
As much a barking distopia as ever. But good for the kids to see :)