Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 963277 times)

Andrew

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4000 on: 22 February, 2014, 09:55:37 am »
If you're criticising their inconsistency, you have to give them points for variety. Just look at the films listed in the last couple of posts. There are few writer/producers who've made such varied great films.

I'd agree with that whole heartedly.

One reviewer I read suggested that the Coens liked to keep everyone on their toes. They'd make a box office hit and then, with almost a perverse wantonness, do something more quirky or off-beat.  I'd prefer not to think it's that contrived, and that they work in fashion that keeps them fresh, interested and motivated.

I don't feel they want to proof anything to anyone. I find their movies, generally speaking, to be ego free (unlike some directors). Honest, self-contained units that are well crafted and stay with the limits they set themselves. That, for mei, is a 'good' movie.

It's just that sometimes they don't work for me. Particularly when it comes to gore or violence, but also when things get just a bit too silly (I've never really got farce - it's too obvious, which I know it's meant to be!)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4001 on: 22 February, 2014, 10:41:22 am »
Their films are quite hard to pigeon-hole even individually! I really like gore+violence in the right places (e.g. Reservoir Dogs ... but not Kill Bill. IMO!). I don't even think of Country For Old Men as a violent film, but the brief violent moments are critical to the feel of the thing.

Is 'O Brother ... ' a musical? Surely not, I really hate musicals  :o

For me the most overlooked one is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Wasn%27t_There_(2001_film)
A real quiet, not much happens movie - very difficult to do well. (Has Billy Bowb ever been in a bad film? Perhaps I shouldn't ask ... )

Looking at wiki, it's mainly the early ones that didn't really work for me, like Barton Fink. Until Fargo in 1996. Would it be fair to say that they played a bit too safe/conventional early on?

Burn After Reading was patchy, but you have to like anyone getting Brad Pitt to play such a massive dork!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jakob

« Reply #4002 on: 24 February, 2014, 07:02:50 am »
"Space Dive". Documentary about Red Bulls/Felx Baumgartners record breaking dive.

It's makes it very clear why Baumgartner has no intentions to do it again, as he was scared shitless!. Really amazed that Red Bull didn't pull the plug on this or at least got someone else to do the jump, as he was quite clearly not the right person for it.

Also some nice insights in how upper management can completely screw over a project :).
It's on Netflix here in Canuckistan and is well worth watching.

fuzzy

« Reply #4003 on: 24 February, 2014, 08:48:06 am »
Lost Boys. Proper 1980's frommage with vampires :thumbsup:

" Look at your reflection in the mirror. You're a creature of the night Michael, just like out of a comic book! You're a vampire Michael! My own brother, a goddamn, shit-sucking vampire. You wait 'till mom finds out, buddy! "   ;D

Jakob

« Reply #4004 on: 25 February, 2014, 01:02:12 am »
Lost Boys. Proper 1980's frommage with vampires :thumbsup:

" Look at your reflection in the mirror. You're a creature of the night Michael, just like out of a comic book! You're a vampire Michael! My own brother, a goddamn, shit-sucking vampire. You wait 'till mom finds out, buddy! "   ;D

Soo many good quotes:

[Sam shoots an arrow at Dwayne, and misses.]
    Dwayne: You missed, sucker.
    Sam: Only once, pal.
    [Sam shoots again, pinning Dwayne against the stereo making parts of him explode while being electrocuted]
    Sam: Death by stereo!

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Lost_Boys

spindrift

« Reply #4005 on: 25 February, 2014, 09:58:59 am »
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.

How to take a not-bad book and balls it up, the romance element was probably unfilmable but this was really awful, the arab character conforms to one of two ways arabs are portrayed in Hollywood films, they are either shooty and explodey or mystical and wise (Morgan Freeman in Robin Hood). This character's given to staring into the middle distance and muttering "We must have faith". There's a lot of that. Not even Emily Blunt could save this, there's a scene where she totters around on absurd high heels at the office like Gwyneth in Iron Man 2, she looks like two dwarfs trying to bunk the cinema in a long rain coat, total rubbish.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4006 on: 25 February, 2014, 10:31:09 am »
Ghostbusters

Seemed like the thing to do1 and even *mumble* years on I still love it.

1 - For those who didn't know, Harold Ramis died yesterday.

« Reply #4007 on: 25 February, 2014, 01:55:36 pm »
Bunch 'o films in forrin:

Even the Rain - this was lovely, striking, strongly political...and to my utter astonishment pretty closely based on real recent events.

Nostalgia for the Light - a stunning conceit, really: beautiful photography put to a bleak purpose. One of our party walked midway muttering "I don't know what this is about at all!". Which was odd, given that the interviewees kept on explaining the central idea, albeit from a number of angles.

A Separation - much said about this here already ISTR, but I was really surprised at how funny I found the film, especially given how dour I had expected it to be. As mostly, the women had the power, even in such a patriarchal society. I loved the depictions of bureaucracy and the great playing by everyone in view plus the insights into how normal and humane the lives depicted are.

Jakob

« Reply #4008 on: 28 February, 2014, 07:43:24 am »
"42", the story of Jackie Robinson, the first African-American player in MLB.
Decent enough, but maybe tries too hard not to offend anyone.

fuzzy

« Reply #4009 on: 28 February, 2014, 08:02:26 am »
Gravity.

Now, I am a Child of Apollo, growing up with the space race and the moon landings. As a scruffy, sticky, mud spattered worm eating sprog, I dreamed of being Neil Armstrong, Edwin Aldrin, Harrison Scmidt and the like. Oh to be an astronaut. Space films are my bag.

Gravity? Fantastic visual effects and I wish I had seen it at a 3D IMAX but, storyline and credibility? Nah.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4010 on: 02 March, 2014, 09:28:36 am »
Source Code

An extremely watchable film with a misleading name.  This isn't a MovieOS-centric comedy as the name suggests, but rather a more cerebral (pun intended) version of the TV series Seven Days.  Don't try to make too much sense of the plot device, and it's all good.

I saw this a few months back. Recommended.
Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4011 on: 02 March, 2014, 09:32:03 am »
Kings of Summer

An American coming of age type film but apart from the inevitable cheese it's hilarious.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #4012 on: 02 March, 2014, 01:22:33 pm »
Frozen.

See also 'earworm' thread.

spindrift

« Reply #4013 on: 04 March, 2014, 11:50:54 am »
Remembrance.

Slow-paced, well acted WW2 drama, Polish POW dresses up as a German soldier and smuggles his Jewish girlfriend out of a prison camp. Very moving, but the whole time I was thinking "This is so far-fetched, it's just not credible".

Turns out it was a true story:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/20100724-poland.ece

(click to show/hide)

fuzzy

« Reply #4014 on: 04 March, 2014, 03:13:27 pm »
I finished Sunday evening watching the last 3/4 of Erin Brokovich on TV.

I love this film but don't really know why.

Some of it is to do with the David v Goliath element of the story.

Another is that it is full of absolutely cracking quotes-

Theresa Dallavale: Okay, look, I think we got off on the wrong foot here...
Erin Brockovich: That's all you got, lady. Two wrong feet in fucking ugly shoes.

Kurt Potter: Wha... how did you do this?
Erin Brockovich: Well, um, seeing as how I have no brains or legal expertise, and Ed here was losing all faith in the system, am I right?
Ed Masry: Oh, yeah, completely. No faith, no faith...
Erin Brockovich: I just went out there and performed sexual favors. Six hundred and thirty-four blow jobs in five days... I'm really quite tired.

Also, Julia Roberts is absoulutley fantastic as Erin and the Brokovich/ Masry (Albert Finney) interaction is sooooooo good.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4015 on: 04 March, 2014, 03:45:09 pm »
Gravity (on blu-ray)   :thumbsup: 

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4016 on: 04 March, 2014, 04:22:20 pm »
Gravity (on blu-ray)   :thumbsup:

I liked it.  I am normal a real film pedant, but the story in Gravity got me so much I could overlook the stupid bits Like: <Spoiler alert>
(click to show/hide)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4017 on: 04 March, 2014, 06:14:40 pm »
Well that was a nice little spoiler :) Now I don't need to go and see the master work my mate did to the movie, sadly he wasn't invited to the Oscars but he is on the list of people who made it.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4018 on: 05 March, 2014, 07:58:30 am »
You are right, Wooly, I have now modified my post.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

spindrift

« Reply #4019 on: 05 March, 2014, 10:26:00 am »
Sandra Bullock got $20m for Gravity, and a share of the box office, so far she's made $70m, the Oscars will be a pretty good boost too. She got $20 for Miss Congeniality 2 and that was 9 years ago when $20m was a lot of money. I heart her:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BcLeid8g3MU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/BcLeid8g3MU&rel=1</a>

« Reply #4020 on: 05 March, 2014, 11:09:31 am »
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The Daniel Craig version. I only listened, mind, as I was a) still a bit blind and b) playing onna tablet at the same time.

I've read listened to the book. That was better, but takes (much) longer.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4021 on: 06 March, 2014, 08:19:17 am »
Re-watched Source Code last night. Meh. It's not as good the second time around.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4022 on: 06 March, 2014, 01:01:12 pm »
Airline Disaster

Surprisingly watchable for an Asylum film whose most outlandish plot device, rather than the usual implausible monsters or comedy plate tectonics, was that they'd let an ex-con who'd changed his name to Carl Hitler on a plane without any security checks.  Just the right mix of silly writing, wobbly sets and ham acting - and they got the pace right with this one.

Bonus points for having a female president with a same-sex partner and not making a plot point of it.  I suspect they put that line in entirely to hang a lampshade on the actor's lesbian hair.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4023 on: 06 March, 2014, 01:52:09 pm »
Re-watched Source Code last night. Meh. It's not as good the second time around.

It was for me!

« Reply #4024 on: 11 March, 2014, 12:49:06 pm »
Filth

And it was, in many senses of the word.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.