Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 964468 times)

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2100 on: 15 January, 2012, 07:36:18 pm »
I'm looking forward to watching 'The Reader' tonight. I read. The book some time ago, but shied away from watching the Film when it was released at the cinema for some reason I now can't remember, so I'm planning on watching it for the first time tonight.

The book was extremely good.

I agree and I possibly feared that the film won't live up to the book and the characters I'd imagined.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2101 on: 15 January, 2012, 09:49:36 pm »
Melancholia - interestingly crafted film but the characters seemed a little like cardboard cutouts.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2102 on: 16 January, 2012, 03:20:53 pm »
The Dambusters was on ITV4 yesterday so I watched it because no matter how many times I've seen it, I still love it.
I once took a Bavarian lass, in whom my interest was waning, to see The Dambusters. It had the desired effect, though she was most shocked by the dog's name rather than the damage the raid inflicted.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2103 on: 17 January, 2012, 02:18:37 pm »
Paul

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2104 on: 18 January, 2012, 09:35:42 am »
I'm looking forward to watching 'The Reader' tonight. I read. The book some time ago, but shied away from watching the Film when it was released at the cinema for some reason I now can't remember, so I'm planning on watching it for the first time tonight.

I agree and I possibly feared that the film won't live up to the book and the characters I'd imagined.
My mate has just returned my copy of the film, and I rather enjoyed it, but I came to it without having read the book.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

LindaG

« Reply #2105 on: 19 January, 2012, 06:17:19 am »
"Another Earth".

There was so much in this film I don't know where to start.  Our local small cinema, playing another blinder. AND they do Orange Wednesdays!  :thumbsup:

One of those films that needs to be seen at the cinema, I think.

« Reply #2106 on: 19 January, 2012, 08:28:21 am »
Transformers - Dark of the Moon - yesterday on the laptop in the Sainsbury's car park while they were all in the Oasis listening and watching to Alfie Boe.

« Reply #2107 on: 21 January, 2012, 10:55:09 pm »
American Beauty

LindaG

« Reply #2108 on: 21 January, 2012, 10:58:12 pm »
Take Shelter.  The review described it as "a perfect allegory for a panicky time", which I didn't get at all.  But the portrayal of encroaching mental illness was very convincing. 

Interesting.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2109 on: 21 January, 2012, 11:36:51 pm »
Enemy of the State - The tech is fun (if a little outdated now) :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2110 on: 22 January, 2012, 08:36:02 am »
Eat, Pray, Love starring Julia Roberts.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2111 on: 22 January, 2012, 09:56:40 am »

My mate has just returned my copy of the film, and I rather enjoyed it, but I came to it without having read the book.

Having the distance between reading the book and watching the film has allowed them to be separate entities in my mind. I enjoyed both.

« Reply #2112 on: 22 January, 2012, 11:22:35 am »
Shame
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2113 on: 22 January, 2012, 11:46:44 am »
War Horse, last night with Mrs T.

There are a few bits you think "that would not happen", but on the whole a good movie, I didn't cry, but Mrs T did.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #2114 on: 23 January, 2012, 10:28:56 am »
Flash Gordon- DVD recieved for christmas :thumbsup:

"Flash! Flash- I love you but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth!"

"Dispatch War Rocket Ajax to bring back his body!"

They don't make cheese like that any more.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2115 on: 23 January, 2012, 01:29:40 pm »
J. Edgar

Initially I considered taking Miss Emily to see The Artist, the B&W almost-silent movie, based on the awesome review it is getting. However, one look at the trailer made me swiftly rethink as whilst she would have loved it, I would have gone postal within minutes. We went to see J. Edgar instead, which was bloody brilliant.

I'm a big fan of DiCaprio whom I consider to be an excellent actor (he is also my beard double :smug: ) and he played his part brilliantly. The movie took an interesting form, with the events dictated by Hoover, as an old man, in the form of an autobiography. It was fascinating and engaging cinema and really nice to see a non-action movie, we both enjoyed it greatly.

I recommend it highly.

The only downside was the extortionate online booking fee by Brixton's Ritzy Picturehouse. £1.60 for me doing all the hard work? WTF?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2116 on: 23 January, 2012, 01:44:37 pm »
Friday -  The Hangover

How can a film with so much gag potential be so not funny?  Bah. Compare to 'The Blues Brothers' and weep at the lack of comic genius.

Saturday - Emperor's New Groove

That's a bit better. Actually, a lot better - wonderful classic Disney animation.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2117 on: 24 January, 2012, 05:20:51 am »
Along Came Polly

Very funny film, much better than l expected.
Stars Ben Stiler & Jennifer Aniston

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2118 on: 24 January, 2012, 01:20:27 pm »
I finally watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy at the weekend. Superb. Completely gripped from beginning to end. After seeing Let The Right One In and this, I am a confirmed Tomas Alfredson fan. The man really knows how to capture your attention without resorting to exploding helicopters. Not that there's anything wrong with exploding helicopters but some films stand up without them.

Friday -  The Hangover

How can a film with so much gag potential be so not funny?

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I had to give up about halfway through. There's actually quite a lot that's wrong with the film but I could have forgiven much of it if it had made me laugh at least once. I actually got more laughs out of Tinker Tailor.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2119 on: 25 January, 2012, 09:03:10 am »
Friday -  The Hangover

How can a film with so much gag potential be so not funny?

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I had to give up about halfway through. There's actually quite a lot that's wrong with the film but I could have forgiven much of it if it had made me laugh at least once. I actually got more laughs out of Tinker Tailor.
d.
I think it is the acting. Nothing wrong with the gags, the actors just can't do comedy. Or maybe it is the direction. No sense of timing.  ffs, Reservoir Dogs was funnier.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2120 on: 25 January, 2012, 10:26:46 pm »
Went along to see War Horse last night, great film, but I don't think it lives up to the hype.

saw a trailer for The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel looks like it could be very funny

« Reply #2121 on: 25 January, 2012, 10:56:06 pm »
The Guard: Ignore, not a patch on in Bruges.

The Debt: had a lot of potential but not realized. Not particularly recommended.

Melancholia: a noticeably softer Lars Von Trier, interesting exploration of how folks face up to the end of the world.

Tree of Life: Need to watch it again, from first viewing, a dense exploration of familial relationships and learning, how that is passed on. Excellent cast, and photography as you might expect from Terry Mallik. Will be watching this again.

Last/late night surprise, stumbled across Crossing Over, surprisingly good, a multi stranded story of immigrants trying to get the Green Card i.e. their pass for the American Dream. Missed half of it, awaiting arrival of extremely reasonably priced blu ray. Well worth a look.

Frere

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #2122 on: 27 January, 2012, 09:18:03 pm »
Margin Call.

What a good film.  Don't go if you want to see exciting blowing-stuff-up shit, or cool CGI.  Enjoyed the cringeworthy lack of connection between the disparate protagonists watching their insulated bubble dissolve around them.  No two alike and not one of them likeable.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2123 on: 27 January, 2012, 11:36:22 pm »
Currently watching The Human Centipede.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2124 on: 28 January, 2012, 12:23:50 am »
Currently watching The Human Centipede.

eeeew :s

Frere