Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 964090 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2875 on: 05 January, 2013, 09:57:44 pm »
Hugo (again) fabulous, although a little weak on story line for my tastes.
But, importantly, why does all the clock winding happen anti-clockwise? I think we should be told.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2876 on: 05 January, 2013, 10:02:32 pm »
Rubber, about a homicidal psychokinetic tyre. It's as good as you would have expected.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2877 on: 05 January, 2013, 10:26:50 pm »
Von Ryan's Express.  Much better than expected.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2878 on: 06 January, 2013, 12:29:03 am »
I watched a film today - Salmon Fishing in The Yemen. I think it's the first one I've watched since The Iron Lady and I enjoyed it a lot more, even though it was quite predictable.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

« Reply #2879 on: 06 January, 2013, 08:30:25 am »
The Iron Lady is on TV tonight.  I shan't be watching it; I'm not really into horror.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2880 on: 06 January, 2013, 09:24:44 am »
Regardless of your politics I would say watch The Iron Lady. It's more about rememberence and possibly regret than anything else. I have a loathing for MT's politics and such but loved the film.

My latest film was Biutiful. Starring Javier Bardem, it is tragic, sad but also has hope. I don't think I have cried so much watching a film in a long time.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #2881 on: 06 January, 2013, 02:03:41 pm »
Janapar.  Tim Allen's tale of travelling by bike and finding True Love along the way.

I need to stop watching this stuff.  It makes me want to cry.  One of these days work will try to call me and ask why I haven't turned up, and I'll not answer because I'll be over the sea on my bike.

Anyway, It was completely absorbing and quite moving, and even Crusty cracked at smile at one point.

« Reply #2882 on: 07 January, 2013, 07:54:06 am »
Pa Negre, a story of a family in a small village during the Spanish Civil war.

I may need to watch it again to get the whole story.

Watched this last night. Incredibly moving, thanks for the tip.
Highly recommended (though as noted above there are some very disturbing scenes).
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

tiermat

« Reply #2883 on: 07 January, 2013, 10:27:33 am »
Pa Negre, a story of a family in a small village during the Spanish Civil war.

I may need to watch it again to get the whole story.

Watched this last night. Incredibly moving, thanks for the tip.
Highly recommended (though as noted above there are some very disturbing scenes).

Either I am just picking the emotionally charged ones, or that scholl of directors seem to very good at high emotional content films (I include Amaldovar, Villaronga and Iñárritu in that group), see my comment upthread about Biutiful.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2884 on: 07 January, 2013, 09:26:49 pm »
Avatar, Puss in Boots, and John Carter, all in luverly 3D! ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

tiermat

« Reply #2885 on: 09 January, 2013, 10:03:00 am »
Amores Perros, a film by Iñárritu.

Like Pulp Fiction it has a number of stories that all intersect at a certain point, in this case at the point of a car crash.  Set in near modern day Mexico, it follows a pair of brothers and the wife of one of the brothers, a magazine editor who is having an affair with a model, and tramp.

The tag line on the DVD case is "Love, Betrayal, Death", to which I would add "Redemption".

Another one worth watching.

LindaG

« Reply #2886 on: 09 January, 2013, 11:12:14 am »
French Kiss, with Kevin Klein and Meg Ryan.  From 1995.  Disclaimer: one of the films me and Crusty quote, all the time.  One of "our" movies.

"A woman flies to France to confront her straying fiancé, but gets into trouble when the charming crook seated next to her uses her for smuggling."

It's much better, and funnier, than I remember and KK's French accent is a total hoot.

It's a shame about Meg Ryan though.

« Reply #2887 on: 09 January, 2013, 04:03:15 pm »
McCullin.  A documentary/biography about war / news photgrapher Don McCullin.   Very powerful stuff, a potted history of some of the nastier parts of the post war period.   Interviews with McCullin and his editor at the Sunday Times are intercut with film and stills of the conflicts he covered.  Some of the footage is utterly horrific, executions and piles of bodies.   Good pictures as well of people relaxing and playing in the UK, as well as pictures of dereliction and homelessness in London.

Well worth seeing if it's on near you.

A good review here http://gerryco23.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/mccullin-a-conscience-with-a-camera/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

« Reply #2888 on: 09 January, 2013, 08:45:42 pm »
Patton (again).  Superb film, although it's more George C. Scott than George S. Patton (and the whole thing is suspected to be an Omar Bradley hatchet job by some people). 

The German intelligence scenes are a nice touch, especially the snide comment from Jodl to Rommel at the end.  It's quite poignant when the German captain is burning Patton's file and obviously admires him, regretting that "he, too, will be destroyed...the absence of war will kill him."  In fact Patton died after a car accident later that year.

Jakob

« Reply #2889 on: 12 January, 2013, 10:25:09 am »
The Hobbit, part 1.
Really enjoyed it. Much better than I expected. For me, it really matches what I imagined from the books and I'm sorely tempted to apply for a job in NZ again.

« Reply #2890 on: 13 January, 2013, 07:24:31 pm »
Les mis. Liked it. Nearly shed a tear too. A few too many close ups of people singing while they or the camera moved left me a bit dizzy at times. They did a good job of disguising Greenwich.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2891 on: 13 January, 2013, 08:11:18 pm »
Morning Glory. I love Harrison Ford.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2892 on: 13 January, 2013, 08:37:06 pm »
Three Colours: Red.  Strongest film in a profound trilogy.  Well worth taking the time to experience and reflect on.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2893 on: 14 January, 2013, 11:06:40 am »
Hugo

Not bad, a nice bit of whimsy, good family entertainment (not many Scorcese films you can say that about), but I wasn't really in the mood for it because of a thumping headache so I bailed out before the end. I guessed exactly where it was going though, so I don't feel that I missed anything.

I thought there were lots of effects that were obviously in there just for the 3D, but I wonder if I was subconsciously looking out for them because my wife - who didn't know it had a 3D release - didn't notice them. I don't think I would have enjoyed the film any more in 3D.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jakob

« Reply #2894 on: 14 January, 2013, 05:55:39 pm »
We also watched:
Les Miserables. Or rather..we didn't even finish watching it. I'm not a musical fan, so that's not surprising, but my wife got bored of it as well.
Why this is even on the long list for the Oscars is beyond me. None of them can sing!. (Especially Crowe..he's awful)

Moonrise Kingdom: Really nice. Really hard to describe. A love story, I guess. (Why this isn't nominated for an Oscar is also beyond me).

rogerzilla

« Reply #2895 on: 15 January, 2013, 06:48:18 am »
I wasn't hugely impressed by Les Mis on the stage.  I think you have to be French to appreciate the story, there are only two reasonable songs, and Marius is a wuss.  I vaguely liked the Thernardiers, who would be good in a panto.

« Reply #2896 on: 15 January, 2013, 10:17:01 am »
'Gangster Squad'

Son wanted to go see it with me.

It's not offensive, just meh. Reasonable action thriller, amazingly little tension considering the gore and violence.

Sean Penn is a convincing ex-pro-boxer bad guy. Mind you, he's known to be quick with his fists.

Compared to 'The Untouchables', it's very poor.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #2897 on: 15 January, 2013, 11:37:29 pm »
Mark Kermode said the other day that when he went to see Gangster Squad, he realised that all his ranting about Brian De Palma was wrong.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #2898 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:47:28 am »
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Read the book as Mlle. Lagaffe had it as a school book.  The DVD was £3 in Tescos, so I thought it may help her understand some of the nuance that the book leaves to the imagination.

Quite good really
"Il veut moins de riches, moi je veux moins de pauvres"

« Reply #2899 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:57:04 am »
Three Colours: Red.  Strongest film in a profound trilogy.  Well worth taking the time to experience and reflect on.
I used to think Red was the best of the three. It definitely provides closure (& Irene Jacob is gorgeous). However, now I have seen them all umpteen times, I think Blue is by far the most powerful of the three. The editing really defines the film's moments and the music really fits the emotion. Binoche is superb and really pulls off the feeling of loss and betrayal and how it can be so devastating.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.