Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 964387 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3025 on: 21 February, 2013, 03:08:49 pm »
Skyfall.  A Bond James Bond film where Suddenly!  Not much happens! is a waste of time.
There's at least one person in York who feels the same way - one of the posters near the college has been doctored to read 'SKYFAIL'

Chris S

« Reply #3026 on: 21 February, 2013, 06:08:39 pm »
Skyfall.  A Bond James Bond film where Suddenly!  Not much happens! is a waste of time.

Yes. Our thoughts too. I think boab fell asleep, and missed... nothing.

For Sale: One Blu-Ray copy of Skyfall. Used once.  :(

spindrift

« Reply #3027 on: 21 February, 2013, 07:50:28 pm »
It gets better with repeat viewings, but parts are very lame, the tube crash, the trafficked woman, the waving torch on the moor, Finney's Scottish accent, the product placement. Where the hell did a dirty great frozen lake come from, you couldn't see their breath a minute ago?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3028 on: 22 February, 2013, 09:50:56 am »
The tube crash was especially bobbinsmungous.  There weren't even any crash test dummies on the train, never mind passengers >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #3029 on: 22 February, 2013, 12:18:34 pm »
A Good Day to Die Hard (aka Die Hard V). Sadly, instead of filling me brimful with joy, it made me cry little tears of sadness. Dear movie company, you have the raw material of Die Hard, cinematic pure gold. What kind of brainless alchemy did you have to work to turn it into a turd? Script? Oh let's not bother. Direction? I think the director got lost on the way to the studio. Basically, they took a second rate straight-to-DVD actioner and levered John McClane into it (and he spent most of his time looking like he was wondering why too). Stuff blows up for no particular reason since the story had evidently been eviscerated and there's little to no wisecrackery or humour, which are the trademarks of the franchise. It's a Die Hard movie: a few things need to happen:

- JM inadvertently ends up in shit
- lots of bad guys try to kill JM
- shit blows up
- JM kills bad guys
- wisecracks
- JM gets bashed up (preferably in a increasingly bloodied vest)
- wisecracks
- more bad guys die
- there's a really bad guy
- really bad guy has a really bad henchman
- neither of them like JM's meddling ways
- they die
- a battered and bloody JM saves the day with a well-deserved "yippeekayay motherfucker"

A crying shame, there was massive scope for affectionate and funny Die Hard follow-up, riffing on the passed time, and they pissed it away on this.

(Actually, seemed to follow the Skyfall meme, a James Bond film effectively without all the things that make a James Bond film, altogether admittedly better put together).

There's some things people shouldn't be allowed to mess with. Die Hard is one.

fuzzy

« Reply #3030 on: 22 February, 2013, 01:38:33 pm »
A Good Day to Die Hard (aka Die Hard V). Sadly, instead of filling me brimful with joy, it made me cry little tears of sadness. Dear movie company, you have the raw material of Die Hard, cinematic pure gold. What kind of brainless alchemy did you have to work to turn it into a turd? Script? Oh let's not bother. Direction? I think the director got lost on the way to the studio. Basically, they took a second rate straight-to-DVD actioner and levered John McClane into it (and he spent most of his time looking like he was wondering why too). Stuff blows up for no particular reason since the story had evidently been eviscerated and there's little to no wisecrackery or humour, which are the trademarks of the franchise. It's a Die Hard movie: a few things need to happen:

- JM inadvertently ends up in shit
- lots of bad guys try to kill JM
- shit blows up
- JM kills bad guys
- wisecracks
- JM gets bashed up (preferably in a increasingly bloodied vest)
- wisecracks
- more bad guys die
- there's a really bad guy
- really bad guy has a really bad henchman
- neither of them like JM's meddling ways
- they die
- a battered and bloody JM saves the day with a well-deserved "yippeekayay motherfucker"

A crying shame, there was massive scope for affectionate and funny Die Hard follow-up, riffing on the passed time, and they pissed it away on this.

(Actually, seemed to follow the Skyfall meme, a James Bond film effectively without all the things that make a James Bond film, altogether admittedly better put together).

There's some things people shouldn't be allowed to mess with. Die Hard is one.

A case of Yippeekayoh?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3031 on: 23 February, 2013, 12:28:17 am »
Iron Sky.  It's the film that Snakes On A Plane wasn't.

« Reply #3032 on: 23 February, 2013, 12:36:18 am »
Still on my classic British gangster film binge I've just watched "The Long Good Friday" for the umpteemth time.   Best British Gangster Film Evah ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #3033 on: 23 February, 2013, 10:59:59 am »
Iron Sky.  It's the film that Snakes On A Plane wasn't.

Just watched it the other day (would have seen it at the cinema or bought it already had it not been for Revolver Entertainment being a bunch of stupid....). The odd clunky bit of scripting and acting here and there, but more than redeemed by the smart bits of scripting and acting (liked the USB gag) thoroughly enjoyable. Roll on the extended cut BR (which I will hopefully be able to buy direct from Finland...).

Also: Death Proof. Quentin's weakest film, but still worth watching (IMHO).

« Reply #3034 on: 23 February, 2013, 06:34:55 pm »
Watched Tumbledown last night.

Brilliant.

LindaG

« Reply #3035 on: 23 February, 2013, 09:31:36 pm »
Untouchable (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/)

Absolutely superb.

Agreed. Thoroughly recommended. Funny because it's true. In a stylised movie way but true nevertheless.

« Reply #3036 on: 24 February, 2013, 01:24:40 am »
The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec

On Film 4 last night.

Loved it. Perfect silly entertainment.

I just watched it, and as you say, very silly, but surprisingly entertaining. :thumbsup:

I didn't realise it was written and directed by Luc Besson, until the end credits.

(click to show/hide)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jakob

« Reply #3037 on: 24 February, 2013, 08:14:40 am »
Red Dawn. (The remake). It was actually better than I expected!. (Still very very very dumb, but I'm down with a cold and it was perfect for that)

« Reply #3038 on: 24 February, 2013, 08:54:19 pm »
Just watched Colombiana.

Tosh of this highest order.   I only sat through it because the other half pointed out that since the introduction of Sky Plus, I was becoming impatient. Example, the 20th Centrury Fox logo appears and I'm ready to delete and move on.

I mean, a 14 year old girl would decide to be an asassin at such an early age , wouldn't she ?

Does Luc Besson know nothing else but revenge?

I mean for god's sake.

I thought Joan of Arc was stupendus, and Leon was excellent, but he has been treading water since then.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3039 on: 24 February, 2013, 09:34:51 pm »
We Need to Talk About Kevin.  Oof, not exacly a comedy.  Strangely gripping, well shot and moves like a tanker about to run aground (you can see it coming, with inevitability, but it is still a shock when you see it crunch into the rocks).  Good performances all round, but Tilda Swinton's was great.

« Reply #3040 on: 24 February, 2013, 09:54:02 pm »
We Need to Talk About Kevin.  Oof, not exacly a comedy.  Strangely gripping, well shot and moves like a tanker about to run aground (you can see it coming, with inevitability, but it is still a shock when you see it crunch into the rocks).  Good performances all round, but Tilda Swinton's was great.
With that cast it would be hard to fuck up what is an outstanding book.

« Reply #3041 on: 24 February, 2013, 10:36:18 pm »

... two posts in front of yours; "The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec".  It's not revenge, Adèle is trying to find a cure for her sister's medical problem.
Actually, it is rocket science.

LindaG

« Reply #3042 on: 24 February, 2013, 10:43:35 pm »
With that cast it would be hard to fuck up what is an outstanding book.

Tilda is a force of nature.

fuzzy

« Reply #3043 on: 25 February, 2013, 11:21:01 am »

I mean for god's sake.

I thought Joan of Arc was stupendus, and Leon was excellent, but he has been treading water since then.

I'm not sure where it comes in his filmography but, The Fifth Element is a darned good film.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3044 on: 25 February, 2013, 03:46:28 pm »
Well Caracremada was, errr, different, no need for subtitles, really as there is only about 3 lines of dialogue in it.

Now watching "Butterfly's Tongue", a lovely, lovely piece of cinema about a boy growing up in Franco's Spain. Funny, sad, touching, it is all of them.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Andrew

« Reply #3045 on: 26 February, 2013, 10:52:31 am »
Started to watch 'No Way Out' last night. It was very dated, which I could handle,  but just plain awful, which I couldn't. It got turned off.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #3046 on: 26 February, 2013, 03:45:44 pm »
A Good Day to Die Hard (aka Die Hard V).

The TV advert was quite good.
On Valentines Day everyone is waiting to hear those three little words.
Yippee
Ki
Yay.

Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #3047 on: 26 February, 2013, 03:46:27 pm »
On another note.

bobbinsmungous

Post Word of the Day
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

spindrift

« Reply #3048 on: 26 February, 2013, 04:18:55 pm »
A Good Day to Die Hard (aka Die Hard V).

The TV advert was quite good.
On Valentines Day everyone is waiting to hear those three little words.
Yippee
Ki
Yay.

The alternative tag was:

"Yippee Ki Yay, Mother Russia"

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3049 on: 28 February, 2013, 01:33:04 pm »
Still working my way through Atamé, but watching it on my tablet whilst on the train.  Worth watching a second time as I realised that it's a Farce in the finest tradition of Farces.

At home watching Y Tu Mama Tambien.  A road trip movie set in Mexico, all the right elements, 2 stoners, a hot cuckolded woman, a car and beer!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State