Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 964405 times)

red marley

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3650 on: 11 November, 2013, 12:31:24 pm »
The only spare seats in my local cinema for Gravity 3D were in the front two rows. I normally hate sitting too close to the front as it gives me neck ache and eye strain. But after Oranj's recommendation I went for it.

Absolutely stunning experience which does indeed work well when close to the screen giving it an IMAX feel. For those who can see in 3D, definitely worth the cinema and glasses treatment. I have to disagree with WW though that this was "an amazing story". I thought that aspect was weak and rather small in its ambition compared with the rest of the film. But a good story wasn't the purpose of the film, but rather to immerse you in the experience of the protagonist. I thought it touched in the philosophy of existence and insignificance without being too intellectual about it.

(click to show/hide)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3651 on: 11 November, 2013, 04:21:21 pm »
I have to disagree with WW though that this was "an amazing story" though. I thought that aspect was weak and rather small in its ambition compared with the rest of the film.

That’s fair comment – great spectacle then.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3652 on: 11 November, 2013, 05:03:53 pm »
Stephen King's IT (1990)

Another one of those important cultural references that I'd somehow missed.  It's quite good if you're into Tim Curry playing a creepy clown, but is strikingly of the era when you could make films about women in high-achieving business roles, as if that were a plot.  It's an hour too long and not sinister enough in the second half.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3653 on: 11 November, 2013, 05:29:09 pm »
Personally, i prefr Rendezvous With Rama.

I'm rather glad that nobody's made a film of that.  The window of opportunity for it doing the book justice closed in about 1978.

I'm genuinely curious what you mean by that?

Because the world/knowledge of the solar system has changed?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3654 on: 11 November, 2013, 05:36:24 pm »

I'm rather glad that nobody's made a film of that.  The window of opportunity for it doing the book justice closed in about 1978.

Because the way Hollywood treats science fiction has changed.  You can't make a film about exploring alien artefacts without lots of danger, sexual tension, fighting and BOOM!  Which gets in the way of the science and mystery, somewhat.  I think Rendezvous With Rama is closer to The Andromeda Strain (not the dodgy remake) than it is to Stargate, as it were.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3655 on: 11 November, 2013, 05:38:12 pm »
I can see how it might work with the aesthetic of Dark Star or Silent Running (among my favourite scifi films).
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3656 on: 11 November, 2013, 05:41:34 pm »
I can see how it might work with the aesthetic of Dark Star or Silent Running (among my favourite scifi films).

Exactly!

fuzzy

« Reply #3657 on: 11 November, 2013, 10:24:15 pm »

Because the way Hollywood treats science fiction has changed.  You can't make a film about exploring alien artefacts without lots of danger, sexual tension, fighting and BOOM!  Which gets in the way of the science and mystery, somewhat.  I think Rendezvous With Rama is closer to The Andromeda Strain (not the dodgy remake) than it is to Stargate, as it were.

I would say that now is exactly the right time to make the film of the book.

A director with the balls (or other anatomical parts) to make this film true to the book has a raft of tools at their disposal to do the majesty of the Raman landscape justice. I can see the moment the lights come on in my mind now. A good CGI team would blow the audience away without needing to resort to 'splosions and ray guns and shit.

To see Rama diving into the sun as the end title music starts to play? Poetry :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3658 on: 12 November, 2013, 12:00:32 am »
Duncan Jones, perhaps?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

essexian

« Reply #3659 on: 12 November, 2013, 06:14:16 pm »
Bad Grandpa

I am sure I have said this before in film reviews but...if you like fart and male part jokes, then you will like this film..... I do and did. Can't say my good lady enjoyed it that much but then, she likes neither.

Not as good as “Borat” but there were some very funny: “OMG they can't do that” sections including the fart in the café scene or the “OMG they are going to get killed” scenes such as in the dance club.

LEE

« Reply #3660 on: 12 November, 2013, 09:00:24 pm »
Gravity 3D

7/10 (but 10/10 for the stunning look of the film).

It was good for 3D but I could live without it to be honest (I suspect my brain filters out the false 3D and I don't see what less "susceptible" people see).

Anyway, it's a visually stunning adventure nicely played by its two, and only, actors.  It's not afraid to devote long spells to just being in space (Think the long shuttle docking sequence from 2001)

The science is so much better than most (the utter silence of the ISS being torn apart by debris for example, where other films would have had huge explosive noises and tearing metal).

A big screen is essential.  I'd watch it again on a 2D IMAX given the choice.

It's a must have BluRay

hillbilly

« Reply #3661 on: 13 November, 2013, 11:28:12 pm »
Also Gravity.

Very fine film.  Enthralling.  Beautiful.  Like the two leads.

The opening 5 minutes made me want to be a spaceman, drifting about looking at the Earth and the stars.  Then the remaining 90 minutes reminded me why I am an actuary rather than an astronaut.

Chris S

« Reply #3662 on: 14 November, 2013, 09:21:59 am »
Two more for Gravity 3D  :thumbsup:.

I/We found it impossible not to flinch at the flying debris as it came at us.

It's a fantastic rollercoaster between agoraphobia and claustrophobia! We liked it.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3663 on: 16 November, 2013, 08:55:34 pm »
The snowman.
The snowman and the snowdog.
The 8 films in the official selection in the "Films by Young Animators" category in which my mate David-the-Animator worked on one of the nominated films and won.
The official selection screening of the eight Films for Children nominations
Fantastic Mister Fox

All in the Cubby Broccoli at Bradford NMeM.  That's a lot of films in one day!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3664 on: 17 November, 2013, 12:08:18 am »
Moonrise Kingdom.

Charmingly quirky coming of age yarn. Very Wes Anderson. Most enjoyable. If you like Wes Anderson. Which I do.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3665 on: 17 November, 2013, 08:31:17 am »
I didn't like the Snowman and the Snowdog.  Single-parent family just to show how modern and relevant it is, and a puppy for Christmas (oh dear...Dogs Trust are going to have a problem with that).  And of course it's completely lazy and derivative.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3666 on: 17 November, 2013, 09:17:14 am »
Whereas we went to see it as a single parent family that includes a 6 year old who is utterly besotted with dogs, although knows he ain't getting one ever let alone at Christmas, and all loved it.  Interestingly said 6 year old commented that he "thought it was clever and a good idea that they showed the two straight away".  It read to me as homage not derivative.  And all three kids - who unlike me had seen the Snowdog before - found it unobjectionable to watch it twice in one day, as it was also nominated and screened in the Films for Children.

A bit of rummaging leads me to the conclusion that one of the non-winning films in the young animators category which didn't list any credits information might indeed have been a school project but, unlike many of the films in competition, made by one person.  Myths of Sisyphus.  It's a really rather beautiful hand drawn one and I commented afterwards that it felt a bit like a 'bedroom project'.  It looks all drawn by one person, the sound track is a solo clarinet, a few sound effects and a recorded narration that either by plan or happenstance or, I thought, due to circumstance sounds somewhat home-recorded.   Possibly my favourite, although I have to declare myself content with the winner since he's my mate :D

hillbilly

« Reply #3667 on: 17 November, 2013, 02:34:42 pm »
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Not sure about this one.  A slick film that serves as an origins story.  Didn't particularly engage me, despite a vaguely coherent script.  I find this quite a lot with films that James Franco has a lead role in.  I also found the CGI effects a little off putting - they are technically very good, but I suspect suffer from a trip to the uncanny valley.

fuzzy

« Reply #3668 on: 18 November, 2013, 07:31:45 am »
Born on the 4th of July.

It deserved its Oscar.

spindrift

« Reply #3669 on: 18 November, 2013, 07:30:32 pm »
Gravity. Totally unrealistic. No woman tied to George Clooney would cut the rope.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3670 on: 18 November, 2013, 08:33:53 pm »
I didn't like Dr Strangelove except for Major Kong riding the bomb and the famous "you can't fight in here" joke.  The last line is also a good joke, but Peter Sellers hams it up so much that it's not very clear.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3671 on: 18 November, 2013, 08:47:23 pm »
PT 109 on the TV on Sunday.

1963 Biopick of JFK's service as a motor torpedo boat commander in the Pacific in WWII.

I know JFK was a genuine war hero and everything but this film does ham it up dreadfully. A manly arm round the shoulder and a carefully chosen remark and every crewman's problem is solved.

I enjoyed it immensely :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3672 on: 19 November, 2013, 04:33:51 pm »
Gravity. In 3D IMAX awesomeness and wondering how they can make a follow-up.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

ian

« Reply #3673 on: 20 November, 2013, 08:28:27 pm »
Gravity. In 3D IMAX awesomeness... oh.

Yes, very good. However, it's put me off becoming an astronaut when I grow up.

I'm terrified of fairground rides so had that happened to me, I suspect the atmosphere in my space suit would be flashing up a methane warning.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3674 on: 21 November, 2013, 12:45:45 am »
The Hosts. I loved it though there wasn't much to it.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium