Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 964103 times)

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4625 on: 27 December, 2014, 02:27:38 pm »
I watched 'salmon Fishing in the Yemon' the other night. I missed it at the cinema and regretted it, so was pleased to see it on the BBC.  It was refreshing to see a Brotish made film that wasn't broadcasting a US version of the British

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4626 on: 27 December, 2014, 11:37:00 pm »
Oh, FFS.  Just realised I completely forgot to go and see 2001 on the big screen on Tuesday.  I'd bought a ticket and everything.   :facepalm:

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4627 on: 27 December, 2014, 11:39:51 pm »
I saw the Lego Movie the other day. Everything is AWESOME!

(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4628 on: 28 December, 2014, 11:04:46 am »
OOer. I want to see that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4629 on: 28 December, 2014, 11:19:21 am »
Sin City. Highly recommended for a kiddies' outing.  Inlaw Paw wondered why we were watching bad 1950s US TV.  Great photography.
Heh. you ought to contribute to this page http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/parentalguide

(I like PawinLaw's 1950s comment!)

It is visually stunning. But very much less than the sum of its parts. Personally I think the gore was too much - it detracted from the story. Probably works fine on the printed page. Just MHO!

(Havent seen the 2nd one - will wait for free TV release.)

Thks for link, very entertaining.

In late 80s we were browsing round an English video store in Stuttgart when a woman came in wanting to rent a film for "Rhoda, who doesn't like sex, violence or bad words". We suggested The Last Detail.  Since then we award Rhodaworthiness ratings.  SC did pretty well.

2 minds re gore. Lots, yes, but it's part of the style.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4630 on: 28 December, 2014, 02:32:52 pm »
Live Die Repeat

Tom Cruise in futuristic militaristic version of Groundhog Day.

I really enjoyed it
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4631 on: 29 December, 2014, 07:17:51 pm »
Went to the cinema to see The Imitation Game, thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend. Benedict Cumberbatch is very good.

Have also seen Paddington recently, although I felt like a paedophile as I'd gone in without a child, and, youthful as she is, I couldn't pass my wife off as one. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4632 on: 29 December, 2014, 11:42:08 pm »
Went to the cinema to see The Imitation Game, thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend. Benedict Cumberbatch is very good.

I'm drawn on that.  I quite like Cumberbatch, but decided it was probably best not to see it in the cinema in case I started shouting at it for Being Wrong.

« Reply #4633 on: 30 December, 2014, 09:12:14 am »
Exodus.

Very Old Testament stuff. 

Like The Imitation Game it was historically inaccurate as, disappointingly, the Red Sea didn't divide it was simply low tide. That said, there was nothing fair about the Paraoh and God was a little sod.

Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4634 on: 30 December, 2014, 10:03:34 am »
Like The Imitation Game it was historically inaccurate

;D

I caught up with Crazy Heart when it was on telly the other night. Lovely film. Jeff Bridges seems almost effortlessly brilliant. And I loved the music in it - the title song already feels like an old favourite. There's definitely something weird about Maggie Gyllenhaal that I don't like though. Can't put my finger on it but it's the same in everything I've seen her in - something not quite convincing about her.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4635 on: 31 December, 2014, 10:35:48 pm »
Just started working through the Amazon Prime Video movies so a couple years behind the curve, but in the last couple days I've seen

Argo
Actually quite enjoyable and the suspense was well done. I do think the portrayal of Iran is probably overly nasty but I know it was a violent time (and before my time) so could well be wrong.

Prometheus
Couldn't remember much about this film except that it was a dark sci-fi film by Ridley Scott.
(click to show/hide)
Very good special effects, probably even better in a cinema, plot a bit predictable but not bad
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

fuzzy

« Reply #4636 on: 02 January, 2015, 11:40:35 am »
Talking of histrical inaccuracy, my recent fayre has been-

Troy (historical inaccuracy from every pore?)

Kingdom of Heaven (ditto?)

Both films I thoroughly enjoyed (armour and stabbity death? Maybe a theme developing).

I also saw Chinatown (Bloody brilliant) and Shallow Grave (also bloody brilliant) and have just commenced a belated Christmas Harry Potter fest (1 and 2 down far).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4637 on: 02 January, 2015, 12:18:07 pm »
I'm sure there have been posts about Under The Skin, but can't find them right now. Anyway:

I watched this with the benefit of quite a lot of info from reviews, so it was mostly what I'd expected. I'd recommend it - but it really is massively flawed, lacks any regular characters or story, and is pretty disturbing. So be warned!

(click to show/hide)

So there you go. Glad I watched it, but ... there were too many buts!
(I can't confidently comment on how accurately this portrayed Scotland, or alien visits to Scotland)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

spindrift

« Reply #4638 on: 02 January, 2015, 01:17:10 pm »
In the book her victims are grossly force fed and castrated. It's about farming. Or about humanity among aliens.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4639 on: 02 January, 2015, 01:40:02 pm »
Yeah, I was reading about the book earlier (the first couple of pages are on the g***dian site). Sounds like it has a much clearer message(s) than this film. I think the film just went for a strong and unique visual experience, with just  hints of a deeper meaning to keep us interested and/or to give it some credibility.

reminds me: I also watched the Salmon in Yemen film on the box last week. Really lovely film, almost a proper old-fashioned british feel-good jobby.

But I don't think I could bear to read a whole novel based on that story! Sacharine overload.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4640 on: 02 January, 2015, 01:44:04 pm »
reminds me: I also watched the Salmon in Yemen film on the box last week. Really lovely film, almost a proper old-fashioned british feel-good jobby.

But I don't think I could bear to read a whole novel based on that story! Sacharine overload.
The book isn't so sacharine. It's considerably more gritty.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4641 on: 02 January, 2015, 06:28:46 pm »
I'm sure there have been posts about Under The Skin, but can't find them right now. Anyway:

I watched this with the benefit of quite a lot of info from reviews, so it was mostly what I'd expected. I'd recommend it - but it really is massively flawed, lacks any regular characters or story, and is pretty disturbing. So be warned!

So there you go. Glad I watched it, but ... there were too many buts!
(I can't confidently comment on how accurately this portrayed Scotland, or alien visits to Scotland)

I posted here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6884.msg1754245#msg1754245 The search **really** is crap isn't it?

I did end up watching it right through, and I was very glad I did, it paid off. Even so, it was a bit too ponderous for too long and left far too many things unexplained - a few can be good, but I don't want to have read the book before seeing the film (or ever). The soundtrack was pretty good too.

Overall I would recommend it.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4642 on: 02 January, 2015, 06:53:55 pm »
For completeness, there were 3-or-so other reviews. Only Lee really liked it. This was the longest:

Post by: Andrew on April 10, 2014, 09:50:01 PM
    Under the Skin... it will sell well on DVD!

Me,  I was really disappointed. It doesn't add up despite good points (cinematography). In fact, I was left thinking I was missing something, or of Emporer's clothes. I even thought it trite. Predator becomes prey? Pah. Been done. Cold blooded killers lack humanity? Really. No shit Sherlock.

Perhaps one for cinema buffs but it did little for me.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jakob

« Reply #4643 on: 02 January, 2015, 07:44:05 pm »
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" (or something like that). Didn't like it much. The CG goes from being very mediocre to amazing.Close up shots are great, a lot of the animation/crowd shots, not so much. Didn't care one iota for any of the characters.

Tried to watch "Unbroken", but my DVD got a huge scratch in it :(

spindrift

« Reply #4644 on: 02 January, 2015, 10:47:43 pm »
Galaxy Quest

there's loads to love about that film, the great Missie Pyle, Sigourney doing comedy and being brilliant, I never realised the geeky computer kid is him off Die Hard 4.0.

Andrew

« Reply #4645 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:14:35 am »
My remarks re Under The Skin read quite harshly now. There is a great deal to like about the film. It's leagues above the majority of films made today. It has a haunting, bleak and eerie quality to it. It really does try to say something, it leaves you feeling uncomfortable, and I acknowledge that it does that very well. But for me it's a kind of glamorous fail. It didn't come together for me and don't know what I was supposed to think. It left me uncertain. Perhaps that was deliberate.

Suffice it to say though that I'd rather watch a 'try but fail' than some formulaic insult to the intelligence.

It'd be in my top 20 of 2014, maybe even top 10, (on the basis of it being something special and different) but not my favourite.

Recently I've watched The Thirteenth Tale, a BBC production from 2013, and that's worth watching for the performances of Vanessa Redgrave and Olivia Coleman. Both are brilliant, and seeing them interact on the screen in their many scenes together is perhaps the greatest strength of the film.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4646 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:17:06 am »

Recently I've watched The Thirteenth Tale, a BBC production from 2013, and that's worth watching for the performances of Vanessa Redgrave and Olivia Coleman. Both are brilliant, and seeing them interact on the screen in their many scenes together is perhaps the greatest strength of the film.

Oh, wow, I just finished reading the novel and loved it.  Redgrave and Coleman?!  I must see this!

Was it on i-Player, Andrew?
Milk please, no sugar.

Andrew

« Reply #4647 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:29:29 am »
Was it on i-Player, Andrew?

I didn't watch it on iPlayer but I don't know whether it's there or not.

The film is largely true to the novel, in that it maintains the same tension and intrigue, but it does have some differences. The novel had, as I recall, a broader plot and is more oblique/vague as to its ending. The film is less of a ghost story, IMHO, and you get more into the characters... but I suspect we'll all have different views on that one.

« Reply #4648 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:42:40 am »
Not on iPlayer at the moment as it was last shown in August. I saw it on DVD, and it is an excellent film.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4649 on: 03 January, 2015, 12:09:32 pm »
Since I've been suffering a stinking cold since Boxing Day I thought I'd settle down in front of the big telly and watch "How the West was Won".

It's a film I've caught glimpses of all my life but never watched.

It was just great, a real sprawling western for sprawling out in front of, with some Lemsip and a log fire.

Big LED TVs were meant for this epic widescreen format.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.