Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 963979 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6175 on: 21 March, 2016, 10:33:53 am »
Well I had the house to myself this weekend, so watched The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum. Just the "Legacy" to go at some point.  Stylish, implausible, not too much gratuitous violence, and no unnecessary (or indeed any) nudity. Enjoyable, but didn't leave much of an impression.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6176 on: 21 March, 2016, 11:32:31 am »
Well I had the house to myself this weekend, so watched The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum. Just the "Legacy" to go at some point.  Stylish, implausible, not too much gratuitous violence, and no unnecessary (or indeed any) nudity. Enjoyable, but didn't leave much of an impression.

Jason Bourne was, I think, the reason they (all too briefly) dropped the submarine-car-gadget shite from James Bond films.

I prefer my spies like Jason Bourne but I know full well they are more like Olivia Coleman in "Night Manager".
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6177 on: 22 March, 2016, 09:50:04 pm »
Haven't heard of it before. Precis from www.imdb.com says:
Amid the Civil War in 17th-century England, a group of deserters flee from battle through an overgrown field. Captured by an alchemist, the men are forced to help him search to find a hidden treasure that he believes is buried in the field.

I do so want it to be like this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04kf095

It's a Ben Wheatley film and it's probably his least accessible.  It was interesting to watch and I think would probably benefit from being off your face on mushrooms.  On being asked why he made it he said that most of the great film makers made lots of films and that he didn't think he would get the chance to make a film like this again for a while.

He's recently made an adaptation of High Rise due out later this year and has just wrapped main filming on Free Fire which looks really interesting.

If you've not seen any of his films I recommend Sightseers which is great (and probably his most accessible film).
I went to see High Rise tonight.

I think I am not clever enough for such things. I seriously considered leaving because all I could think was 'What The Veritable...'

ian

« Reply #6178 on: 24 March, 2016, 10:54:21 am »
10 Cloverfield Lane. Really enjoyed it. Avoid reading the reviews, they can't help but give away the plot. Worth it for splendidly delivered 'fuck' from the lead character when she realises the full depth of her predicament. If there was ever a moment for a sincere utterance of the word 'fuck' that's it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6179 on: 24 March, 2016, 11:35:29 am »
10 Cloverfield Lane. Really enjoyed it. Avoid reading the reviews, they can't help but give away the plot. Worth it for splendidly delivered 'fuck' from the lead character when she realises the full depth of her predicament. If there was ever a moment of a sincere utterance of the word 'fuck' that's it.

I heard Mark Kermode's review on the radio last week and he made such a point of not giving away the plot beyond the basic set-up that I couldn't resist looking it up...

Yeah, I would probably say 'fuck' quite sincerely in that situation too.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuzzy

« Reply #6180 on: 24 March, 2016, 12:02:31 pm »
The Two Faces of January

Different. Glad I watched it but won't do so again.

(click to show/hide)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #6181 on: 24 March, 2016, 12:07:43 pm »
Having read it, not sure you need the 'spoiler' Fuzz Meister. I'm still in the dark. Does Aragorn moiders Mary Jane have big norks or something?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #6182 on: 24 March, 2016, 03:26:25 pm »
High Rise

Glad I didn't pay for the ticket!  How the hell the Guardian thought this deserved 4 stars is totally beyond me.  On every level - acting, screenplay and especially editing - this was 2 hours of thrashing nonsense. 

Looked like it was one of those films that was great fun to make for all involved - but they forgot the audience.  Did they really think that orgy scenes worthy of Confessions films would have the ability to shock (presumably that was the purpose) or realise that leaving no space for any kind of reflection on what was unfolding would not induce claustrophobia (again presumably the purpose) but just relentless, mind-numbing boredom.

Haven't read the book (and I won't be rushing to thanks to this) - don't really care if it's a worthy interpretation or not - but it's certainly a stinker of a film.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6183 on: 24 March, 2016, 05:14:14 pm »
The abiding memory I have of the book was of the hero cooking a haunch of Alsatian over a fire of telephone directories.  I doubt this would have made it into the film, because telephone directories are all but extinct.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6184 on: 24 March, 2016, 05:23:34 pm »
I've read several of Ballards novels with similar settings, and they're all excellent. But that doesnt mean they'll make good films.

given the above - and my new love affair with Tom "Night Manager" Hiddleston - I want this to be good, but the reviews have been very mixed.    :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6185 on: 24 March, 2016, 05:47:03 pm »
Secario. 

Meh.  Can't say that it lived up to the promise of being a goody e.g. 93% on rotten tomatoes, at all...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6186 on: 24 March, 2016, 06:29:50 pm »
Pretty sure we watched Sicario - the fact that I can't remember it at all leads me to think that yeah - meh
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ian

« Reply #6187 on: 24 March, 2016, 06:38:11 pm »
Sicario was very meh. I think I mentioned it earlier. I didn't get all the 'Emily Blunt is fantastic' either since as far as I could tell she'd just strolled into the movie for no discernable reasons. I can imagine everyone thinking is she supposed to be in this? and squinting at the script. She puts on an anguished face for a while and then, well, who knows. Lots of people die, fortunately mostly Mexicans. Do Americans think drug cartels are all about the group hugging and home cooked meals? My take home message was 'yes.'

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6188 on: 25 March, 2016, 09:39:16 pm »
High Rise

Glad I didn't pay for the ticket!  How the hell the Guardian thought this deserved 4 stars is totally beyond me.  On every level - acting, screenplay and especially editing - this was 2 hours of thrashing nonsense. 

Well, I liked it... mostly. Thought it was funny, well acted and very stylish - both in the design and the direction. Superb soundtrack too - lovely use of Abba.

And I thought the orgy scene was hilarious.

On the down side, I felt it didn't hang together as a coherent whole but I didn't mind that too much because there were lots of excellent individual scenes and performances. (mattc - Hiddleston is superb.)

I'm glad to have seen it. And I definitely want to read the book now.

Mr L - It's done as a period piece, a very 1970s vision of near-future dystopia, like Abigail's Party meets A Clockwork Orange and/or Brazil, but I guess telephone directories would be a detail too far. Unfortunately, the absence of telephone directories doesn't mean the dog is spared.

Didn't need the Thatcher snippet at the end. The message was clear enough without spelling it out so bluntly.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6189 on: 25 March, 2016, 11:55:03 pm »
Some time ago I bought the boxed set of "The BBC Television Shakespeare" , with the intention of culturally enriching myself by watching the plays I hadn't seen.   As I've more or less lost the habit of sitting down in front of a screen it's not quite worked out.   

Tonight I decided to remedy this & watched "The Tempest" , the closest I've been to this in the past is "Forbidden Planet"

Oh my!  All these familiar looking people!  Michael Hordern (the best Gandalf) as Prospero, Manuel, Nigel Hawthorne, Warren Clarke and bizarrely, a near naked & spangly Ford Prefect (David Dixon) as Ariel!

Entertaining enough, and now I know where a few more quotes come from.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6190 on: 26 March, 2016, 08:05:05 am »
A Long Way Down

Four incompatible people (Toni Collette, Pierce Brosnan, Imogen Poots and some bloke out of Breaking Bad) meet while intending to jump off a tall building on New Year's Eve. They wanted to do it alone, so make a pact to jump on Valentine's Day instead. ???

(click to show/hide)

Comedy/Drama with excellent performances, story a little disjointed.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Andrew

« Reply #6191 on: 26 March, 2016, 08:17:17 am »
Deadpool. It's quite good, wouldn't say it's a must see
I'm looking forward to seeing Deadpool.

It's amusing, enjoyed as one might enjoy a bag of maltesers. It maintains a constant tone; gags and dialogue being sharp and smile worthy. It's sassy self awareness has been done before but it works nonetheless. It ultimately amounts to nothing but it's not a waste of time. I personally found the final deliberate scmultzy kltch Wham! touch a little too knowingly OTT but what the hell, due slack was cut.

It is a movie I can imagine some will hate. Not just it's cartoon violence but just as some don't do black humour (and Deadpool  isn't just black humour) some will simply not click with this.

BTW, I have no knowledge of the comics so I have no idea how it compares.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6192 on: 27 March, 2016, 02:00:05 am »
Re the devoured dog above: start of one story:

"There was a group of children on the street, playing with a dog. As I watched, one of them started to eat it from the tail end"

Last film I watched was a cheapo DVD purchase of one I like to settle into. Lots of big names, nothing shocking or too violent (apart from...well...). The Shipping News, from a tale by E Annie Proulx. A warm film for when I feel a little lost in a cold world.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #6193 on: 27 March, 2016, 08:48:56 am »
John Wick

90% gratuitous violence, 10% story. Interesting take on a society within society, with it's own morals, laws, money, and seemingly invisible to mainstream society. Surprisingly not shit, if a bit shallow.

Oh and to the numerous sensitive reviewers of this (and similarly Lobster): the dog doesn't actually get killed - it's a film! The actors didn't actually get shot either  ::-)
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6194 on: 27 March, 2016, 04:39:41 pm »
Went to the nearest multiplex, to watch Hail Cesar. I enjoyed it, especially the bits where stuff was done like what they done it in the fifties movies.

Now watching MiB.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6195 on: 27 March, 2016, 06:12:46 pm »
given the above - and my new love affair with Tom "Night Manager" Hiddleston - I want this to be good, but the reviews have been very mixed.    :-\
Is it wrong to say I would possibly have left the building- I did not like this film at all- but I could watch him for hours?

Andrew

« Reply #6196 on: 28 March, 2016, 04:00:22 pm »
The Revenant is on at our local fleapit (taudis?) this evening. In VO (version originale) too. Normally I'd go watch pretty much anything in VO, within reason, simply to support my local cinema but this movie simply does not tickle my interest. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6197 on: 28 March, 2016, 06:22:14 pm »
The Dirty Dozen was on telly this afternoon. Either this is another sign the world gets desensitized as the years go by, or the scheduler has never seen this film. Its not a companion piece to The Magnificent Seven - its more like a Tarantino movie.

As a 12yo boy I loved it, but its quite a nasty movie. For an Easter Monday afternoon slot, anyways ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6198 on: 28 March, 2016, 06:28:25 pm »
Eddie the Eagle. It's like Cool Runnings, but for ski jumping and with Hugh Jackman.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6199 on: 29 March, 2016, 12:28:38 am »
Star Wars - The Force Awakens

It's alright, I suppose, if you like that sort of thing.