Author Topic: Got an old camera, not sure what all the controls do?  (Read 1944 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Got an old camera, not sure what all the controls do?
« on: 01 March, 2013, 09:47:10 pm »
Myself, I can't even remember what all the knobs & buttons do on current ones.

Whilst looking for something else, I found this website that has manuals for lots of old cameras
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Got an old camera, not sure what all the controls do?
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2013, 09:58:22 pm »
Ah yes, I referred to that site for a few bits of information recently.  He's done a lot of work collating it.
Getting there...

paul851

« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2013, 06:45:48 pm »
It's a great resource and has supplied me with many manuals over the years (Damn you Ebay  ;) )

Paul

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2013, 07:14:15 pm »
In t'olden days nothing was ever labelled.  You Just Had to Know.  OK, you could probably guess the shutter speed dial and the aperture, but the DOF preview was easily confused with the lens release button etc.

I wonder how many Leica M2 owners have set the self-timer instead of using the frame preview, and vice-versa?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Zipperhead

« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2013, 10:24:19 pm »
You think it's any better now? I've lost count of the number of times that I've been wondering why the camera focuses & meters but won't actually take a picture. Oh, it's because I've got it in remote release mode!

And as for the funny display in the viewfinder, how did that get there? How do I get back to the normal display.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2013, 10:21:04 am »
I work on the principle that before I can be confident in using it for the simple stuff, I need to know what every last thing on my camera does.  Even if I'm unlikely to be locking the mirror up, making multiple exposures or using my pop-up to control three-group CLS scenarios - I still want to know where the menu options are and how to set them up.

This is why I like cameras with real buttons for the regularly used stuff.  What's the point in being able to select single-point AF focus mode if you can't do it by feel with one button whilst the camera is still at your eye?  If you're able to control your ISO as easily as you can adjust your shutter speed, you're more likely to use it at the drop of a hat to give you the extra stop or two that you need to make an image work.  If you can separate out the AF lock from the AE lock, or assign custom buttons for the stuff that you use all the time, you're going to be better prepared for when you've got about ten seconds to make the frame you want...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2013, 01:14:04 pm »
That's why I love(d) my FM/FM2 (and the Rollei 35, until it got wet  :facepalm:)

I still haven't really got the hang of digital - too many variables  :-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 21 March, 2013, 04:38:57 pm »
I work on the principle that before I can be confident in using it for the simple stuff, I need to know what every last thing on my camera does.  Even if I'm unlikely to be locking the mirror up, making multiple exposures or using my pop-up to control three-group CLS scenarios - I still want to know where the menu options are and how to set them up.

This is a good philosophy for life, I reckon.

So many cockups come from an "I don't need to worry about these" mentality combined with accidental tweaking of some frob.  You may not need to touch them, but you still need to know what they should be set to!

rogerzilla

« Reply #8 on: 27 March, 2013, 09:56:54 pm »
I remember an interview with a photographer where he said he got his first job as an assistant simply because he knew how to re-synchronise a Hasselblad with its film back (it's possible to cock one and not the other, IYSWIM), and not many people do.

Zipperhead

« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2013, 12:07:00 am »
I used to live a few doors along from a photographer who had once put his 'blad on the roof of his car and then driven off.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2013, 12:08:56 am »
I did that with a pair of Leica bins  :-[ (and on another occasion, my field notebook)  :facepalm:

rogerzilla

« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2013, 06:47:21 am »
I used to live a few doors along from a photographer who had once put his 'blad on the roof of his car and then driven off.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/i1M-IafCor4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/i1M-IafCor4&rel=1</a>

Forward to 06:00 (and see how fat Steve Ballmer has become since)

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2013, 11:05:30 pm »
My Zeiss Nikon has very few controls. When I had a big clever DSLR it, apparently, had many additional controls that I never discovered or used:)

Mike