Author Topic: Beware the fob off...  (Read 1166 times)

Beware the fob off...
« on: 09 March, 2013, 06:36:48 pm »
This is a sad and worrying case....
Professor dies of lung cancer after doctors dismiss illness as 'purely psychological'

We were once turned away from the hospital, with mini ao's acute symptoms being dismissed as stomach bug ('a lot of it about')  - back 3 days later with a burst and gangrenous appendix.

Not to NHS bash, but these stories are always shocking though I'm willing to believe - relatively uncommon....It does seem that can be well worth not necessarily taking clinical advice at face value, especially when symptoms persist or become more severe...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Beware the fob off...
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2013, 07:31:56 pm »
Couldnt agree more due to family experiences which reflect the professors.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2013, 07:46:22 pm »
My trapped gallstone was fobbed off twice, as "a panic attack" (Paramedics / A&E triage nurse / SHO) and "bad posture" (my GP) respectively.  After a week of constant agony, I eventually became jaundiced and dehydrated enough that I was able to convince a walk-in centre doctor that I was actually ill.  They then spent a couple of days giving me IV fluids and looking for pancreatitis and other zebras before I found myself on the business end of an ultrasound scanner.

After discussing it with the consultant, I came to the conclusion that the lesson here is to google your condition, and if one of the symptoms is agonising pain, make sure that you scream a bit for the benefit of those examining you (rather than saying that you're in pain, being quietly uncommunicative, and concentrating on breathing).  Also, it's probably best not to be female and in your 20s if you happen to have the wrong kind of GP.

On the other hand, sometimes shit happens.  Doctors aren't magic.  They're just as fallible as engineers.  Probably moreso where maths is involved.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2013, 07:53:05 pm »
I went from 6/6 vision to zero perception of light in my left eye in four (Easter Bank Holiday) days after being told my eye pain was 'sinusitis'...

« Reply #4 on: 10 March, 2013, 11:14:08 pm »
Someone close to me, after being fobbed off by her GP, presented herself at A&E to get a correct, and instant, diagnosis.

Sometimes you just know that something is wrong, but I guess they don't know that you know, if you see what I mean.

It's partly why I keep active, I'll feel any warning signs sooner. Perhaps.

Cars! In my bike lane.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2013, 12:03:42 pm »
Some people are better at handling pain than others. Those of us who are talented sufferers and who just go quiet are probably at a big evolutionary disadvantage these days.

Once upon a time it was probably a good thing not to scream and attract the attention of sabre tooth tigers. Not any more.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 11 March, 2013, 01:00:42 pm »
I wonder if I would have got prompter attention if I'd been screaming in the ambulance as I was taken to A&E with a perforated stomach ulcer and a perforated duodenal ulcer and stomach blockage?  They just left me in the waiting room to wait and cope with the normal slow triage process by myself.  To be fair, my blood pressure and all that was ok, so they only had my word for it that something was seriously wrong (until the x-ray and CT scan).  (I couldn't have been bleeding much).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 11 March, 2013, 01:19:15 pm »
I suspect 'screamers' get prompter attention as staff don't like a noisy environment so work towards getting the place quiet and calm.
One way around this is to have a companion who repeatedly pesters the staff but this can misfire.
The quiet, unaccompanied patient has little chance... (Z-shaped limbs do not always guarantee attention.)