Author Topic: Miserable March  (Read 7488 times)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: Miserable March
« Reply #50 on: 26 March, 2013, 10:01:30 pm »
I like this selective memory I seem to have acquired.
I don't remember the weather on when I' 64 being too bad (Marcus and others may disagree).  OK, I had to squeeze out my gloves every now and then, my feet got wet (but not horribly cold, thanks to WOOLLY SOCKS) and I was a bit chilly starting up again after each stop, but I've done worse rides.
The only problem with last weekend's ride (admittedly only 100km) was when I had to change an inner, by the time I'd done my fingers had turned into rubber and had no grip to hold one bolt in pace on the axle while I did up the other.  After some thought I stuck one hand in my mouth (oil and all) until finger were thawed enough and problem solved.  The route nicely zigzagged about so not too much headwind at a tie either.  Apart from where I had that stop, of course.
My other ride was mainly in bright sunshine.  Apart from when it rained, but that wasn't for very much.  And there was a bus shelter when I needed an unscheduled stop.
I'll draw a veil over those other outings that I didn't make it out of bed for.  Purely on the grounds of general tiredness, you understand.  Nothing to do with the weather, maternal guilt or availability of cuddles etc, of course not.

Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Hillbilly

« Reply #51 on: 27 March, 2013, 11:59:08 am »
Checking some of the forecasting sites earlier looks like it could remain pretty cold right into May, at least for us.

mikewigley

« Reply #52 on: 30 March, 2013, 08:14:05 am »
It's nearly time to run the AAA (Audax Alliteration Award) for April.  Awful April?  Appalling April?  Atrocious April?  I thought, after managing to get two BRs a month over the winter period, that I'd done the hard bit and that getting out on long rides from March onwards was going to be much more pleasant.  Wrong!  I'm gathering my gear for tomorrow's Chirk 200 rerun, which will be only the second time out on the bike  since the When I'm 64 200 in early March.  LEL fitness?  Don't make me laugh

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #53 on: 30 March, 2013, 08:23:57 am »
Yesterday's route check for the Hardboiled was the coldest I have ever been on the bike before, despite plenty of layers and opportunity to warm up.

H

« Reply #54 on: 30 March, 2013, 09:02:11 am »
You didn't forget your beer coat, did you Hummers?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #55 on: 30 March, 2013, 09:29:05 am »
You didn't forget your beer coat, did you Hummers?

By gad, you may have a point there  :thumbsup:

The first control is a pub but at 06:00am, they looked like they were shut. In fact, despite my optimism at seeing someone go into the Shrewton Co-Op, everywhere was shut.

The Albion seemed to have beer on tap  :P but I was too busy eating and warrming up to contemplate this  :facepalm:

No, the first pint of the day was at 300k at the finish control  :'(

H

Hillbilly

« Reply #56 on: 02 April, 2013, 08:47:25 pm »
So, April.  With your sunshine and blue skies you give hope.  With your temperatures you fill us with nagging doubts of despair.  Truly the cruellest of months.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #57 on: 02 April, 2013, 09:21:00 pm »
Well I cycled home tonight with fingerless gloves, put my windproof jacket in my bag and really could have done with my sunglasses.
Lovely and first time for *ages*.
It'll never catch on.

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Hillbilly

« Reply #58 on: 02 April, 2013, 09:25:30 pm »
I was chasing my long shadow up hills yesterday evening, as the sun set in the Surrey Hills.  I even stopped and admired the view from the top of Leith Hill, which has a lovely view over rolling forest across the Surrey Hills AONB.  A peach sunset, slowly melting into rose and then orange.  Rather like an exotic cocktail.

If it weren't for the faintly numb toes, I would have sworn there was a feeling of spring about it.

Things are definitely picking up (I raise my half full glass to the weather gods).

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #59 on: 04 April, 2013, 06:17:16 pm »
It might be sunny in Surrey but we are still dealing with a deadly cold E wind up north!
However the forecast for Saturday looks quite good which is great news for the riders on the 3 Eureka rides.  :thumbsup:
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #60 on: 04 April, 2013, 07:37:16 pm »
Perhaps we should start a thread 'Arctic April'. But it may only have lasted 6 days before it returns to its showery tradition 'Awful April'?
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Chris S

« Reply #61 on: 04 April, 2013, 07:40:35 pm »
Perhaps we should start a thread 'Arctic April'. But it may only have lasted 6 days before it returns to its showery tradition 'Awful April'?

I would take "normal" April weather and call myself "lucky".

Oh for Sunshine & Showers, a gentle westerly and a high of 15c. I can't remember the last time I cycled, with a temperature in double figures :(.

« Reply #62 on: 04 April, 2013, 08:01:14 pm »
Yesterday was alright, car was reading 10 degrees when I got home. Went and did 40 miles in summer jersey and bibshorts with arm warmers and leg warmers.

Was actually quite nice, especially with the sun on my back, the tailwind was awesome, although the headwind not so.

My feet were freezing though, still too cold for no overshoes, so purchased some "oversocks" today which aren't as heavy duty.

Next week and the weather is a turning...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #63 on: 04 April, 2013, 10:21:59 pm »
On Tuesday I thought spring had arrived. I was overdressed despite not wearing that much and I had to stop to remove my toe warmers & I'd have removed my overshoes had I had space to carry them. Just a base layer, merino top & a gilet. Today, however, was back to normality - three pairs of gloves; overshoes; four layers on the upper body; hat; Buff; EtxeOndo 3-in-1 hat; and snow flurries.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #64 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:13:30 am »
Awful April?  Appalling April?  Atrocious April?

Angst-ridden April.

LEL fitness?  Don't make me laugh

You don't want to peak too early ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #65 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:23:48 am »
I bought some virtual DIY cards from Manotea mid-January and since then the weather's been rubbish.

If you get your cards from me, for an extra fee of £10, you get a guaranteed 1% chance of excellent weather!