Author Topic: The rail ticket thread  (Read 4422 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: The rail ticket thread
« Reply #25 on: 10 April, 2013, 05:56:35 pm »
but i would imagine that any ticket machine would be able to dispense tickets, no matter which machine was nominated.

Yup - I've often collected tickets from a different machine from the original nominated one.  All seems a bit odd for them to require one to be stated in the first place.  Perhaps it's all part of some meaningless bit of data collection.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: 10 April, 2013, 06:40:31 pm »
David had difficulty collecting a ticket from one machine outside a station.
The screen was in direct sunlight and extremely difficult to read.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 10 April, 2013, 06:46:29 pm »

London Midland changed the colours of their ticket machines' reference number entry screen after I pointed out that white on cyan was pitifully low contrast, and effectively invisible to protanopes.   :thumbsup:

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #28 on: 10 April, 2013, 06:49:00 pm »
I'm not in the least surprised to see that in this modern age of, for example <insert modern thing of preference here> buying a f*cking train ticket has become such a challenging exercise.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: 10 April, 2013, 06:53:59 pm »
I'm just too wet to collect from a machine.
I hate sensory overload and this ticket collection business is a surefire means of induction.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 10 April, 2013, 06:57:26 pm »
I used to get them posted, but then Eastcoast started charging.  If other companies have a bike-friendly booking engine and don't, I think I'll be shopping around in future.

« Reply #31 on: 10 April, 2013, 06:57:44 pm »
but i would imagine that any ticket machine would be able to dispense tickets, no matter which machine was nominated.

Yup - I've often collected tickets from a different machine from the original nominated one.  All seems a bit odd for them to require one to be stated in the first place.  Perhaps it's all part of some meaningless bit of data collection.

Part of it is, I think, to make sure you're not planning to collect them from a station that has no machine/one that won't let you collect tickets.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 10 April, 2013, 07:11:52 pm »

They moved the one at our local station under cover after a few months of "Out of order" in the rain.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 10 April, 2013, 07:28:04 pm »
Advantage of ticket machine outside station is less noise and crowding.
I received 13 coupons with the last tickets I ordered. Sorting and juggling these with my railcard is best done at home.

ian

« Reply #34 on: 10 April, 2013, 07:55:19 pm »
Possibly I'm an idiot (oh just don't, OK) for not seeing this option before, but I just noticed you can print off e-tickets. Is this new?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 10 April, 2013, 07:57:27 pm »
Possibly I'm an idiot (oh just don't, OK) for not seeing this option before, but I just noticed you can print off e-tickets. Is this new?

I think it is new.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #36 on: 10 April, 2013, 08:19:28 pm »
I have had an e-ticket, for Cross Country. Not easy getting through automatic barriers with one.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #37 on: 10 April, 2013, 08:28:41 pm »
Sheet of A4 paper does not fit in my bag without much folding.
Then gets dog-eared.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #38 on: 10 April, 2013, 08:39:40 pm »

The only time I printed an e-ticket was for a sleeper service for which I changed the reservation on Scotrail's advice because strike action was imminent.

When my wife and I got to Euston to board the train they didn't have any mention of us on their paper-based system and told me we couldn't get on the train. We got on anyway and had a blazing row with the guard (I won't all hi a "train manager") whilst going through Watford at 60 mph. The stupid buggers had changed it to the wrong date.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #39 on: 11 April, 2013, 12:02:13 pm »
Just collected some tickets today from the machine, then went to the ticket office to book my bike on said trains. Do any of the online booking agencies let you book bikes on anymore?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #40 on: 11 April, 2013, 12:24:56 pm »
Do any of the online booking agencies let you book bikes on anymore?
Yes, East Coast do. Or any other companies that use the WebTIS booking system, eg ScotRail, Southern, First GreatWestern etc.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #41 on: 11 April, 2013, 01:14:42 pm »
Bought some tickets online yesterday afternoon. They arrived in the post this morning, free of charge.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #42 on: 11 April, 2013, 01:38:59 pm »
Bought some tickets online yesterday afternoon. They arrived in the post this morning, free of charge.

From which train company, Cudzo?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #43 on: 11 April, 2013, 01:41:59 pm »
First Great Western.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #44 on: 11 April, 2013, 05:38:22 pm »
However, not if the journey is less than 7 days away, in my experience.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #45 on: 11 April, 2013, 05:54:00 pm »
I used to get them posted, but then Eastcoast started charging.  If other companies have a bike-friendly booking engine and don't, I think I'll be shopping around in future.

TPE.

Also, their android app is a bit more reliable than most for train progress and platform alterations.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #46 on: 15 April, 2013, 08:34:50 pm »
I've just checked what I said upthread about not needing to collect from the machine from the nominated station or indeed, be the correct person.
I have to go to a team meeting in Nottingham on Thursday.  My line manager and I purchased tickets on-line today, and after I explained what I wanted to check, she gave me a print out of her confirmation e-mail containing the collection code.
She had nominated Five Ways Station as the collection point.  I have just picked her tickets up from Bournville (wrong Station) using my debit card (wrong person and type of card).

This is very useful if you ever need to buy tickets for family members who live elsewhere.  You just need to text them the collection code.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #47 on: 16 April, 2013, 04:47:31 am »
I've just checked what I said upthread about not needing to collect from the machine from the nominated station or indeed, be the correct person.
I have to go to a team meeting in Nottingham on Thursday.  My line manager and I purchased tickets on-line today, and after I explained what I wanted to check, she gave me a print out of her confirmation e-mail containing the collection code.
She had nominated Five Ways Station as the collection point.  I have just picked her tickets up from Bournville (wrong Station) using my debit card (wrong person and type of card).

This is very useful if you ever need to buy tickets for family members who live elsewhere.  You just need to text them the collection code.

Last week when collecting one set of tickets, I inserted the wrong card from the one I'd actually bought them with, and it wouldn't let me collect them.  I can't remember the exact wording that showed up, but I think it was along the lines that I had to insert the original card.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #48 on: 16 April, 2013, 09:01:29 am »

Last week when collecting one set of tickets, I inserted the wrong card from the one I'd actually bought them with, and it wouldn't let me collect them.  I can't remember the exact wording that showed up, but I think it was along the lines that I had to insert the original card.

Really? 
OK, maybe it has something to do with the way we buy our tickets at work.  Some sort of Govt. Procurement Card behind the whole thing, I guess.
I'll need to experiment further with a personal purchase.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #49 on: 16 April, 2013, 09:35:58 am »
I've certainly collected tickets bought by someone else, but it was the BBC or ITV and they did say something to te effect their account allowed them to arrange that.