Author Topic: Trek Domane  (Read 73567 times)

Re: Trek Domane
« Reply #300 on: December 15, 2019, 06:04:22 pm »
I have given my thoughts on the Token above and cannot recommend it , I’m now back with the std Trek set up .

« Reply #301 on: December 16, 2019, 12:35:59 am »
BenT
Where are you based ?
I'm just down the M5 from Bristol and have one.

Richard.

« Reply #302 on: December 16, 2019, 09:37:43 am »
BenT
Where are you based ?
I'm just down the M5 from Bristol and have one.

Richard.

In the north, but thanks anyway.
I was wondering if anybody who has a tool might be willing to post me it to lend and I'd post it back when I've used it, I'd give them the postage of course - but I'm not quite there yet, I am going to give the bbinfinite that's on at the moment a bit longer to satisfy myself that it is definitely that that's creaking.
I've emailed bbinfinite and the guy is adamant that it won't be, but I think it is.

I have given my thoughts on the Token above and cannot recommend it , I’m now back with the std Trek set up .

When you say it "failed", what actually happened to it - what, specifically, do you mean by "failed"?
It is what it is. It's not what it's not, so it must be what it is.

« Reply #303 on: December 16, 2019, 12:44:36 pm »
Drive side bearing was seizing up

« Reply #304 on: December 16, 2019, 12:49:22 pm »
I will post you my tool if you decide to go that route I won’t be using it again

« Reply #305 on: January 05, 2020, 06:20:30 pm »
Any tips for new rear gear cable routing? I'm literally stabbing in the dark.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #306 on: January 05, 2020, 06:31:53 pm »
Any tips for new rear gear cable routing? I'm literally stabbing in the dark.

Get a better light in your workshop :-D

« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2020, 09:45:11 am »
Got it done, but jesus, internal routing really is the work of the devil. The first leg (down tube) was easy enough to drop downand poke out the BB shell. For the Chain Stay leg, I had to thread the old cable in from the deraillier end and out of the BB shell. Tie some cotton thread to the end of the new cable and pull it through. Sounds simple enough, but the hole it has to come out of is very awkward so needs alot of patient gentle too-ing and fro-ing for the cable to find the hole.

Lessons:

- If replacing a cable, tie cotton to the old one and pull the old cable through from the shifter to leave a tracer path of cotton. I've heard of this but didn't think to do it as I was preoccupied with getting the disintegrated cable out of the shifter and was just happy to get it out at all.

- If your bike is still new-ish, undo and grease the tiny c/s allen bolts (2.5mm) that hold the cable grommets into the down tube. They are made of cheese.)

- Buy a bike with externally routed cables in future.....

« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2020, 11:39:08 am »
...Lessons:

- If replacing a cable, tie cotton to the old one and pull the old cable through from the shifter to leave a tracer path of cotton. I did think to do it as I was preoccupied with getting the disintegrated cable out of the shifter and was just happy to get it out at all.

- If your bike is still new-ish, undo and grease the tiny c/s allen bolts (2.5mm) that hold the cable grommets into the down tube. They are made of cheese.)

Good advice.

« Reply #309 on: January 08, 2020, 10:26:25 pm »
...Lessons:

- If replacing a cable, tie cotton to the old one and pull the old cable through from the shifter to leave a tracer path of cotton. I did think to do it as I was preoccupied with getting the disintegrated cable out of the shifter and was just happy to get it out at all.

Good advice.

Particularly the last.

I’ve just abandoned the internal routing for the dear mech on the Yellow Peril as there is too much friction for Shimano 10 speed. Would possibly be ok with 11, but that’s not on the roadmap. There also were any room to run a full outer internally, so I’ve used a couple years fnwrapsnofngorilla tape to fasten it outside the frame tubes.

« Reply #310 on: February 11, 2020, 10:06:39 am »
The tiny bolts (made of cheese )  best bet is getting replacements . Good model/rc  shops have the slot/hex bolts in SS, all sizes and the heads don't strip. Another example of cost cutting for a few pence causing grief down the line. ;D

« Reply #311 on: May 16, 2020, 02:54:58 pm »
BenT and pieman

Did the tool get exchanged?  Would the current owner be willing to let me borrow/buy/rent it please as the tool is out of stock.

« Reply #312 on: May 16, 2020, 03:28:20 pm »
BenT and pieman

Did the tool get exchanged?  Would the current owner be willing to let me borrow/buy/rent it please as the tool is out of stock.
No, I never got the token BB. I have still got the bbinfinite one on at the moment. I think it’s ok, ish. Not causing any problems but not super smooth to spin without the cranks on, but probably doesn’t equate to any power loss. If it started causing problems I’d want to get a token one but not in stock anywhere so the tool wouldn’t be much use.
Did see another thread on here that recommended two manufacturers of high end BBs so might be tempted to look at one of those if in the market.

« Reply #313 on: May 17, 2020, 07:59:22 pm »
BenT and pieman

If you pm me your contact details I will try and find  ::-)it and post it to you , no charge

« Reply #314 on: May 17, 2020, 08:53:08 pm »
BenT and pieman

No, I never got the token BB. I have still got the bbinfinite one on at the moment. I think it’s ok, ish. Not causing any problems but not super smooth to spin without the cranks on, but probably doesn’t equate to any power loss. If it started causing problems I’d want to get a token one but not in stock anywhere so the tool wouldn’t be much use.
Did see another thread on here that recommended two manufacturers of high end BBs so might be tempted to look at one of those if in the market.

Edit: this one https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=115603.0
The c bear ones that giropaul recommended look pretty good and the guy emailed me back with the response to a query and they make BB90s.

« Reply #315 on: May 20, 2020, 10:54:31 am »
BenT and pieman

If you pm me your contact details I will try and find  ::-)it and post it to you , no charge

And if you can't I have one.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #316 on: May 21, 2020, 01:15:57 pm »
Found and posted  :thumbsup:

« Reply #317 on: July 04, 2020, 09:21:32 am »
For those of you with Bontrager Speed Stop Brakes, this may be of interest as I recently had an issue with a sticking caliper

The speed stop brake is affixed to the frame via 2 direct mount fixings on the brake calliper. These operate by fixing the centre barrel of the direct mount calliper to the frame using the large bolts at the front of the calliper. Each calliper then pivots about this centre barrel when the brakes are applied.

However, over time water and crap can find its way in and inevitably the calliper starts to seize up around the barrel thus restricting its movement. The Trek service manual on the speed stop brake only details installation and adjustment, but not how to service should you need to take apart, clean and lubricate.
Removal of the centre barrels for cleaning and lubrication is actually quite straightforward once you know how they are installed.

1.   With the calliper of the bike, remove the large centre bolt, there is an internal thread on the barrel so you need to keep unscrewing the bolt when you pull it back to remove
2.   Turn the calliper over and look from the bottom where the centre arm of the calliper and the external arm of the calliper are held together. On the side of the barrel which would be mounted closest to the frame there is a circlip over the centre barrel, use a small screwdriver to pry this off.
3.   Working from the front of the calliper use a 9mm drift to gently tap the centre barrel out of the housing.
4.   After cleaning and lubrication, installation is simply the reverse of this process.