Author Topic: Fettled any computer stuff today?  (Read 222746 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Reply #675 on: 28 October, 2016, 12:15:00 pm »
Hmm, will do, thanks.

That can wait till he comes home at Xmas.

ian

« Reply #676 on: 28 October, 2016, 12:41:31 pm »
I always found setting up IMAP on iThings more straightforward than most (though finding the settings on a Mac involves some sherlockery). The problem comes with the fact that setups get grabbed by the iCloud thing and when you delete one, it comes back, and back, and back, like a zombie, as you try and squash it on all devices. A victory for persistence was that one. My fault for accumulating too many Apple devices and too many email accounts.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #677 on: 28 October, 2016, 01:23:24 pm »
iCloud can fuck the fuck off and fuck off some more!  It managed to take over as my mum's main email account which caused all manner of fun cos people were confused about mum's email address and some emails went to one account and not the other. 

OK my mother clicks on anything, but it's actively difficult to nobble iCloud.

And applepay wallet wank can go in the same pile... Managed to persuade her it was Apple's PayPal and she hates PayPal so was happy for me to disable it all with extreme prejudice :D

Phil W

« Reply #678 on: 28 October, 2016, 05:12:08 pm »
Created my first Docker app. A simple nodejs hello world web server to get started before I start work on the full app. Ran 17 copies of the web server in 1Gb of memory.  The thing that impresses me the most how quick it is to start up additional copies.  A second or so and you have another web server on another port. An hour well spent this evening.

:thumbsup:

I've started building a node.js CMS, mainly for the experience of doing it and I was planning to dockerise it. Might be asking you one or two questions if I come unstuck.

Key bits for you are

docker swarm init # just need once on each node ( server) - need version 1.12 and above
docker swarm join --token ... # once for each node (server) you wish to add
docker network create  -d overlay cms-network # once on a management node in the swarm
docker service create --name web-cms --network cms-network --restart-condition on-failure --replicas 4 <image> # Once per service on just one of management nodes
docker service update --replicas 6 # manually scale service, update image used etc.

I can then refer to web-cms service by name , for example http://web-cms within any container launched on the cms-network network. It will load balance across the number of replicas in a service and the replicas will be spread across the nodes (servers) in the swarm cluster. The service by default will bind to two networks, eth0 is your overlay network and eth1 is the gateway bridge network to your hosts. If you examine a service you'll find the VIP for it. The VIP survives across restarts / start / stops of a service. The VIP is just generally for anything communicating to a service inside docker from the outside either the overlay network or docker itself. Plus of course your Dockerfile for the image build will need to state which ports are exposed by the service you are building. There's also scaling command for auto scaling but you don't need those to get started.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #679 on: 28 October, 2016, 05:21:15 pm »
iCloud can fuck the fuck off and fuck off some more!

And applepay wallet wank can go in the same pile... Managed to persuade her it was Apple's PayPal and she hates PayPal so was happy for me to disable it all with extreme prejudice :D

Agreed on iCloud
Apple Pay, on a phone, however, isn't PayPal. It is contactless with more security.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #680 on: 28 October, 2016, 05:35:31 pm »
Still something you want your mum who clicks on anything to have as little to do with as possible.

barakta

« Reply #681 on: 28 October, 2016, 05:50:07 pm »
I discourage her from Online Banking as it is, she's too dyslexic to manage the 2nd 6th and 5th digit of umpty length passwords, she just can't do it. She's far better talking to nice humans on the phone or in person who can understand her muddle....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #682 on: 28 October, 2016, 06:20:01 pm »
She's far better talking to nice humans on the phone or in person who can understand her muddle....

Or at least are less likely to break something important when they don't understand her muddle...

Feanor

« Reply #683 on: 04 November, 2016, 08:43:45 pm »
Just been round all the boxen at Feanor Towers to set up the New! Improved! colour printer.
At the same time, resolving all manner of various ailments.

One of the machines was failing a Steam update, with missing VC runtime DLLs.
Google tells me it's a common problem, and is caused by Steam only installing the x64 runtime libraries on x64 machines.
This is fine, till you install an x86 game, which then can't find the 32-bit libraries.
So you need to go to MS and find the correct VC Runtime package to install yourself.

Sorted now.

Afasoas

« Reply #684 on: 06 November, 2016, 12:45:42 pm »
Racking up.

Before:

After:

This took an obscene amount of time. Still some tidying up to do. I'm never doing homebrew rackmount kit again*

**I say never. I probably don't mean it as this kit and caboodle is far more energy efficient than any OEM servers you'd get.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #685 on: 06 November, 2016, 03:36:56 pm »
I bet it's quieter, too.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #686 on: 08 November, 2016, 12:53:52 am »
Installed Twonkymedia on the main server and configured the smart TV to recognise the DNLA server.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #687 on: 08 November, 2016, 07:31:04 am »
Shoehorned Cyanogenmod 13 onto my Samsung Galaxy Tab2, runs much better than what was on there (CM9 based Carbon)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #688 on: 10 November, 2016, 09:11:26 am »
I would be but someone has deleted the VM in the datacentre in Hong Kong that was hosting my remote connection endpoint .....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #689 on: 10 November, 2016, 04:38:26 pm »
Had an interesting session with the help desk folk. They are actually responsive to requests (ie. ensure the standard student desktop can handle raspberry pi zeros in gadget mode ethernet device.)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #690 on: 10 November, 2016, 08:06:44 pm »
Upgraded rebuilt the desktop to Mint version 18.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #691 on: 10 November, 2016, 08:31:29 pm »
Starting to fettle my iMac back into "daily driver" mode. A computer at each end of the living room does seem to be a little excessive but I'm somewhat torn between preferring OS X macOS over Windows 10, and needing a beefy computer for gaming.

So far tonight it's just been installing the essentials, configuring a bit of software and restoring a backup.

ETA: I'm trying to "go native" with the macOS apps, but I don't think I can bring myself to swap Chrome for Safari yet.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #692 on: 11 November, 2016, 11:34:22 am »
Finally, inbetween talking to slave traders, got TugaPower N5 (based on Android AOSP 7.1) to run on my OPO.

TBH, it's a bit meh.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Afasoas

« Reply #693 on: 11 November, 2016, 06:28:22 pm »
Yesterday, in trying to determine why the Intel NUC (configured to wake on LAN) switches itself on everyday at 12.17pm, I mirrored it's port on the switch to another port with a Raspberry Pi attached.
On the Pi I created a con job that would tcpdump 1000 packets starting at 12.16pm.

I get home today, and sure enough the NUC is powered off.

I guess I'll wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #694 on: 20 November, 2016, 02:42:50 pm »
Laptop has been a bit crashy. Today I opened it up, sucked a load of dust off the fan and removed then replaced the hard drive.

It's still working so far.

barakta

« Reply #695 on: 20 November, 2016, 02:45:58 pm »

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #696 on: 20 November, 2016, 06:43:07 pm »
 :)

It wasn't quite that bad, thankfully.

Feanor

« Reply #697 on: 20 November, 2016, 07:48:30 pm »
Hmm, as of this evening, here is Ecopikey OTPs laptop:

20161120_194248 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Busted hinge and knackered video ribbon cable between main board and display.
Currently checking out spares availability.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #698 on: 20 November, 2016, 11:52:37 pm »
See that fan? See how there are visible spaces between the impellers?  :facepalm:

Afasoas

« Reply #699 on: 22 November, 2016, 10:01:19 pm »
Great stuff.

The build server wakes up with a WoL packet generated by a Git post-receive hook.
And now it will, every fifteen minuts,  run a job that triggers a graceful shutdown if the main* Jenkins project hasn't built within the last couple hours.

:thumbsup:

*I will need to change this to any at some point